X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Carter
    replied
    The original?

I once had this as part of my comedy collection.

I believe, though I am not certain, it is the original version of the Goons hit The Raspberry song.

Jack Hodges, The Raspberry King himself.

I have a feeling that Spike Milligan (he of Goons fame) and John Bluthal made the noise,

Hodges' classic 1933 recording was used by Spike Milligan as the basis for this sketch from his 1977 'Q7' series. Milligan mimes the raspberries, while John...

but the Jack Hodges version seems to be using a duck caller. Not sure though. They seemed to miming the original.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Hello Robert,

From Wikipedia...

The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town was a serial written by Spike Milligan and Ronnie Barker that ran every week on The Two Ronnies sketch show in 1976 on BBC One. It featured a Jack the Ripper style madman stalking the streets of Victorian London, who killed or stunned his victims by blowing them a raspberry.

The title was preceded by the words "Chopper Films Presents", a parody of Hammer Films, and the writing of the serial was credited to "Spike Milligan and a gentleman".

The story originated in an episode of Six Dates with Barker, broadcast on 15 January 1971, with Alan Curtis playing the role of The Phantom.

The voice providing the raspberry of the title is attributed to David Jason who starred with Barker in Open All Hours although some sources claim the noise effect was supplied by Milligan himself.

One episode featured Ronnie Corbett as the diminutive yet domineering Queen Victoria and Barker as her browbeaten son "Edward, Prince of Wales" (in reality the future King Edward VII was known to his family as "Bertie"), which was a parody of the recent TV series starring Timothy West.

The 'Gentleman' listed as the co-writer was Gerald Wiley, the pseudonym used by Ronnie Barker as a comedy writer.

So there you have it

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hi Dave

I think it does say that on the credits, but I heard it was David Jason. Can't remember where I heard it, though.

Leave a comment:

• Cogidubnus
    replied
    Hi Robert

I thought it was dear old Spike who provided the special auditory effects for the Phantom Raspberry Blower?

All the best

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Lots of Bronx cheers here :

Very funny sketch by Spike as an operasinger....

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Oh crumbs! 'Give 'Em A Raspberry'? For ladies who want to be noticed.

Here is the horrifying scene in the graveyard, in which we see the face of the Phantom. Go from about 7 minutes in.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    Originally posted by Archaic View Post
    Oops, sorry, Magpie- I meant to post that news story as a new Pub Talk thread. Must have hit "reply" instead. I'll ask Admin to move it if possible.

Thanks,

PS: Hi Robert!
    No need Archaid It's all good.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Nah, face like the back of a bus, him. Now THIS guy was so handsome, they couldn't show his face! Click to play :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clips/p0...pberry_blower/

Classic!

I used to love the Two Ronnies.

Leave a comment:

• Archaic
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Nah, face like the back of a bus, him. Now THIS guy was so handsome, they couldn't show his face! Click to play :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clips/p0...pberry_blower/
    Awesome, Robert!

The caller kind of looks like Jack the Ripper from the back, don't you think?

Here in the US we have what's called a 'Bronx Cheer', which is where you make a loud jeering sound - uh, with your voice- that resembles the real McCoy. It's also called "razzing somebody".

So we understand "raspberry" to mean that sound, not the actual... uh, event, shall we say.

'Raspberry Tart' was Cockney Rhyming Slang for "fart" in Jack the Ripper's Day.

To illustrate the extent that most Americans still are not aware of the origin of the phrase "raspberry", I recently saw a fashion advertisement for jeans in a special color of pink, which the manufacturer called "Give 'Em A Raspberry."

I think they'd be pretty embarrassed if they knew.

Cheers (uh, the regular kind),
    Archaic

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Originally posted by Magpie View Post
    I just finished watching an episode of The Golden Shot. I used to love this show when I was a kid. I had forgotten (or likely never notice) what a cheap, shoddily produced pile of shite it was. But it still gave me the warm fuzzies.
    All I remember is, "Bernie,... the bolt!"

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hi Bunny!

Dave, I believe the raspberries were blown by David Jason.

Leave a comment:

• Archaic
    replied
    Oops, sorry, Magpie- I meant to post that news story as a new Pub Talk thread. Must have hit "reply" instead. I'll ask Admin to move it if possible.

Thanks,

PS: Hi Robert!

Leave a comment:

• Archaic
    replied
    Thanks Magpie.

That has to be one of the oddest things I've ever seen!

Love how the lady announcer coos to the audience in baby-talk.

Archaic

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by Magpie View Post
    For Archiac:

Here's part of an episode:

The last 10 minutes of an episode of the classic TV show The Golden Shot, presented here by Charlie Williams. Singing guest is Carl Wayne formerly of The Mov...

This is the last round, where the contestants aim and fire the crossbow themselves, via remote control.
    Presented by the late Charlie Williams, assisted by Anne Aston:

"Her acting roles include Up the Chastity Belt (1971) and Jason King (1971)."

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    For Archiac:

Here's part of an episode:

The last 10 minutes of an episode of the classic TV show The Golden Shot, presented here by Charlie Williams. Singing guest is Carl Wayne formerly of The Mov...

This is the last round, where the contestants aim and fire the crossbow themselves, via remote control.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X