Greatest Ever Footballer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Ah, it couldn't have been Chelsea-Man Utd then.
    I think your video verified as much, Robert. The Chelsea players appear to be wearing a later (mid-seventies) style of shirt: v-neck and floppy collar, as opposed to the crew-neck shirt that Ron Harris is wearing in the photo.

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
    P.s. Apologies to Colin. I know you weren't voting for Chopper - just couldn't resist the remark!
    I've been saying for quite some time that one of the greatest injustices in the history of mankind is the fact that Gary Neville has been paid so much as a single penny to play football. For the sake of fairness, I should be saying the same thing about Ron Harris.

Originally posted by Colin Roberts View Post
    ... try naming a greatest assembled eleven.

The Hungarian side led by Ferenc Puskás that taught England a lesson and introduced the world to the modern game in 1953, gets my vote.
    I think the late great Dave Sexton (RIP) would have agreed. He fashioned this third kit for Chelsea in '73/'74 because of his admiration for the Hungarian side of the early fifties.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	664735

Comment

Eastend spirit

I'm also a little freaked out nobody's mentioned Bobby Moore...I mean OK people might not think he was quite there but he must've been frigging close...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
        Hi Jason,

I always find that argument for the exclusion of George Best a little contrived. Best didn't play in a World Cup because Northern Ireland never qualified. I suppose it all depends on the measure of greatness. For me, if the measure is talent alone, George Best reigns supreme.

Regards, Bridewell.
        What you say is correct. However, its still difficult to compare Best to the very very best footballers. Much of the voting for him is based on "what could have been" rather than actual basis of fact. I still find it difficult to vote for anyone who retired in their prime as the greatest footballer ever. I agree with what someone said earlier that its almost impossible to chose just one player. There are so many variables involved.

As for greatest team I suggest the AC Milan team of Franco Baresi in the late 80's early 90's as a decent shout.

Comment

My nomination is Johan Cruyff

Comment

Red Grange - The Galloping Ghost
            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
              I suppose you have to put in some credit for Norbert Peter Stiles...the facilitator who watched the backs of the likes of Charlton, Law and Best...who in many ways made their brilliance possible by creating the space in which they operated...

A short-sighted skinny-looking ****** with no front teeth and a receding hairline, he was never going to be one of the pretty guys...but as a centre-field hardman he was pretty dominant say 1963 to 1970...He played every minute of every match in the 1966 World Cup and I still laugh when I remember his 1966 dance with the Jules Rimmel trophy in one hand and his false teeth in the other...and let's not forget his part in 1968 and the European Cup...

How do you measure his kind of consistent performance against the goalscorers or the goalkeepers?

Hello Coggie

You certainly know your football. A footie team is like a machine and every cog counts.
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

My favorite Nobby Stiles story, as told by Alf Ramseys No2 Harold Shepherson. Its been s few years since I read this, so it could be Busby at Man utd...however you'd get the jist.

England were to play a major team in the World Cup, I think it was France. Ramsey told Stiles to man mark there star player and, if needs be, seriously mame the player to the extent that the player would leave on a stretcher.

"But Boss" said Stiles, "I'll get sent off".

"That's as may be Nobby" replies Sir Alf, "however we can do without you whereas they cannot without him".

Monty
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

You certainly know your football. A footie team is like a machine and every cog counts.
                  Hi Stephen

I'm afraid you flatter me...I watch very little football nowadays...but you're so right...in any team event everyone who takes part plays some role in any victory or defeat - be they a frontman or support - which is what makes this a difficult thread!

Every good wish

Dave

Comment

Watching Brazil in 1970, I felt Tostao was a bit of a weak link. Comparing him with the likes of Pele and Rivelinho I suppose. But Pele later said that Tostao was a vital part of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      My favorite Nobby Stiles story, as told by Alf Ramseys No2 Harold Shepherson. Its been s few years since I read this, so it could be Busby at Man utd...however you'd get the jist.

England were to play a major team in the World Cup, I think it was France. Ramsey told Stiles to man mark there star player and, if needs be, seriously mame the player to the extent that the player would leave on a stretcher.

"But Boss" said Stiles, "I'll get sent off".

"That's as may be Nobby" replies Sir Alf, "however we can do without you whereas they cannot without him".

Monty
                      Very nice, Monty. Great to hear, and undoubtedly true. I hate to be pedantic, but just in case you might have to do it one day, the word is "maim."
                      Christopher T. George
                      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Working...
                      X