Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Ever Footballer

Something on a bit of a lighter note.

I've just watched a re-run of a documentary on George Best (who gets my vote because he could dribble, tackle, cross, head the ball and, most important of all, was two-footed). Who was the greatest ever footballer?
    Edison Arantes do Nascimento (Pele)
    21.05%
    George Best
    15.79%
    Diego Maradona
    5.26%
    Lionel Messi
    10.53%
    Another (Please Specify)
    47.37%
    Last edited by Bridewell; 12-19-2012, 11:13 PM.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Robert Frewin Turner

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I think the greats in any sport prove their greatness by doing it at the highest level - in this case, the World Cup. Sadly, Best never had that chance. I'm minded to give the title to Pele.

Comment

Stanley Matthews. No contest.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

No offence, but im really not sure why Best would ever be considered the greatest footballer ever. As skilful as he was, his achievements in the game pale in comparison to the other three in the poll.

I'd probably have to grudgingly vote for Pele. Pele also wins "the dumbest footballer ever to talk about the game" poll.

Comment

The greatest footballer is someone we have never seen play.

Mike
            huh?

Comment

Kenny Dalgleish.
              “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                I think the greats in any sport prove their greatness by doing it at the highest level - in this case, the World Cup. Sadly, Best never had that chance. I'm minded to give the title to Pele.
                Me too.

Comment

This why I chose Robert 'Leggy' Turner.

Footballers today are known for partying, check this.

In April 1909, an already relegated Leicester Fosse were tonked 12-0 by local rivals Nottingham Forest. They were beaten so badly that the Football League ordered an enquiry into the game, and it didn’t take them long to find the problem. The previous day had seen former team-mate Bob “Leggy” Turner celebrate his wedding in Leicester, and his ex-colleagues had decided to join in with the celebrations. In fact, they enjoyed themselves so much that many of the Fosse side played the game whilst still heavily intoxicated! Even stranger, the FA decided that this was an acceptable excuse, and decided that no further action was needed.

Leggy was an ancestor of mine.

Monty
                  Monty

Comment

It's a tough one, but Jimmy Greaves...second probably Bobby Charlton....but the two are so close in my mind as to be virtually inseparable

All the best

Dave

Comment

The best live performance I ever saw was by the late great Laurie Cunningham when he played for Leicester against Man utd.

He did a sublime pass with his chest, disecting the centre halves in the process.

You had to see it to believe it.

Sublime.

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

Wilf Mannion could run with the ball on his head.

Comment

A bit of a chauvinist perhaps, but I'd have to say Johan Cruijff. Like Maradonna and Messi, he was a difficult player to keep up with on the pitch: as agile and quick as a snake, moving ahead of the game. Almost as difficult as he is to keep up with when he talks, really - whether that be about soccer or anything else.
                          "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                          Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Of course, as usual people are mentioning the attacking and midfield players, but there's no reason why the honour shouldn't go to a defender or even a goalkeeper. In fact, I'm surprised Monty hasn't mentioned Gordon Banks.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Of course, as usual people are mentioning the attacking and midfield players, but there's no reason why the honour shouldn't go to a defender or even a goalkeeper. In fact, I'm surprised Monty hasn't mentioned Gordon Banks.
                              Your correct that defenders, and to an extent midfielders get overlooked in these discussion. However, I will say that the market(so I assume managers too) tend to price strikers ahead of defenders. There arent too many defenders sold for 30 million plus Pounds/Euros. A number of strikers have been sold for this much though.

In some ways it is easier to defend in football than it is to attack.

Comment

Working...
                              X