Greatest Ever Footballer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert,

Never saw Banks play but yeah, the video footage speaks for itself. We have been lucky at Leicester, we have had 2 of the greatest keepers ever play for us, Banks and Shilton.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Monty, quick question for you which won't derail the thread : which non-sporting title was won by a team from Leicester in 1963 - the first team to win this particular title?

Clue : Bamber.

Comment

Kinda wobbly aintcha?

The Ice Kings Robert,

Its the only thing I can think of.

Monty

PS of course you are now going to say University challenge.
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I am indeed, Monty. I think that once they'd won it, they played a special match against their own dons, but lost.

Comment

Wilf Mannion could run with the ball on his head.
            So presumably, once he got it up there, he could score every time, unless someone tackled him illegally?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Depends how far he could run and how big his head was.

Comment

Somebody has to do it...I'll go with Tom Brady.

Comment

Best defender ever: Franz Beckenbauer would have to be near the top, as would Bobby Moore.

I didn't include Bobby Charlton because Charlton himself reckons he wasn't half the player that Duncan Edwards was. Duncan Edwards must have been some talent. I'm told Edwards was the first person Jimmy Murphy (Busby's No.2) enquired about after Munich.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duncan Edwards.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	664641

Regards, Bridewell.
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                    Best defender ever: Franz Beckenbauer would have to be near the top, as would Bobby Moore.

I didn't include Bobby Charlton because Charlton himself reckons he wasn't half the player that Duncan Edwards was. Duncan Edwards must have been some talent. I'm told Edwards was the first person Jimmy Murphy (Busby's No.2) enquired about after Munich.

[ATTACH]14990[/ATTACH]

Regards, Bridewell.
                    Its hard to remove fact from fiction when it comes to Duncan Edwards. Most of what we now have are second hand accounts. All that can be said is that he was promising. Its difficult not to believe there is some romanticism going on with the Edwards legend. He may indeed have been as great as people say. I will however take his reputation with at least a pinch of salt. The world is full of "could have been" greats.

I hope the above doesnt sound too harsh. When it comes to old time sportsmen talking of other old time sportsmen I become wary.

Comment

Alas 1958

Hi Colin

I'm afraid I never saw Duncan Edwards play, though since Munich he's been almost beatified...I was only four when he died...I've seen a little film footage since though (which I admit does make him look rather special)...

I have also to admit I'm deeply impressed by the tribute at:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr75rgusNJU

So yes...if someone of the stature of Bobby Charlton concedes this man was greater, then who am I to dispute it?

Every good wish

Dave

Comment

Joe Namath.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Barbara

I'm sorry but since when is a tadpole a frog? The thread's about football (soccer if you wish) rather than some falsely-globalised ex-colonial rugby substitute?

I'm sure your intervention in this respect was accidental (not!)

Lots of love

Dave

Comment

A hint to left ponders

Be very careful...In some circles the name Duncan Edwards is only SLIGHTLY less regarded than that of the Messiah...seriously....

All the best

Dave

Comment

'ex-colonial rugby substitute'....

'ex'? Has he moved?

Comment

Hi Barbara

I referred to the alleged sport rather than any of it's practitioners

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X