No announcement yet.

Greatest Ever Footballer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mention of Edwards reminds me that discussions like this are always skewed, because if you look at pre-WW2 players there isn't much film of them and few people left who saw them play, so they'll be under-represented. And that's this country, let alone foreign pre-WW2 players.

Also, it's difficult to compare different generations. There have been a lot of changes over the years :

Comment

0% for Messi? You must be joking!

Comment

Hi Christian

Let's see how he shapes up at the next World Cup. I still think that doing it at the highest level is an essential qualification for the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          Hi Christian

Let's see how he shapes up at the next World Cup. I still think that doing it at the highest level is an essential qualification for the title.
          True, yet that hasn't stopped a number of people voting for George Best. Best's greatest achievements pale in comparison to the others in the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjd View Post
            0% for Messi? You must be joking!
            Fixed that, Chris.

As for not having won a World Cup, Messi's got a few
            more years to play before he hangs up his boots for
            good. He's won all the top awards several times over,
            and broken several long standing records. Had he not
            opted to play for Argentina, he would have won a World
            Cup by now.

He's phenomenal and a joy to watch.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	664733

Today's whiners, divers, cheats, and fairies wouldn't have survived the game when it was played by real men, so they shouldn't be considered.

It's pointless to try naming a single greatest individual, but perhaps somewhat meaningful to try naming a greatest assembled eleven.

The Hungarian side led by Ferenc Puskás that taught England a lesson and introduced the world to the modern game in 1953, gets my vote.

As much as the sectarian aspect of the Old Firm saddens me, and even though I would never support either Celtic or Rangers against any opponent, I'll give my honorable mention to the Celtic side that won the 1967 European Cup with eleven players that all emanated from within thirty miles of Glasgow.

Comment

I didn't expect a mention for Ron Harris! Who's the No.10 on the receiving end?

Regards, Bridewell.
                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
                  True, yet that hasn't stopped a number of people voting for George Best. Best's greatest achievements pale in comparison to the others in the poll.
                  Hi Jason,

I always find that argument for the exclusion of George Best a little contrived. Best didn't play in a World Cup because Northern Ireland never qualified. I suppose it all depends on the measure of greatness. For me, if the measure is talent alone, George Best reigns supreme.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post

Regards, Bridewell.
                    I'll answer my own question. I believe it's Stan Bowles (who could also play a bit).

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                      I wasn't voting for the Chopper; I was simply making the point that today's supposed stars wouldn't have been anything of the sort had they been forced to contend with a certain sort of defender, way back when.

Chelsea's greatest? Alan Hudson.

I believe the photo was taken during Chelsea v Manchester United in April, 1973: Bobby Charlton's last match as a professional.

That looks as if it could be Charlton in the background.

Number 10? I don't know.

Comment

Zidane???

Comment

Well if that was Chelsea v Man Utd 1973 I believe the number 10 was Lou Macari :

2nd Half Highlights of the last game of Bobby Charlton with Manchester United against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. In the end of the clip, Bill Shankly and Da...

Comment

Nobby

I suppose you have to put in some credit for Norbert Peter Stiles...the facilitator who watched the backs of the likes of Charlton, Law and Best...who in many ways made their brilliance possible by creating the space in which they operated...

A short-sighted skinny-looking ****** with no front teeth and a receding hairline, he was never going to be one of the pretty guys...but as a centre-field hardman he was pretty dominant say 1963 to 1970...He played every minute of every match in the 1966 World Cup and I still laugh when I remember his 1966 dance with the Jules Rimmel trophy in one hand and his false teeth in the other...and let's not forget his part in 1968 and the European Cup...

How do you measure his kind of consistent performance against the goalscorers or the goalkeepers?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Well if that was Chelsea v Man Utd 1973 I believe the number 10 was Lou Macari :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIqRTNjG_P0

Definitely Stan Bowles:- Same picture autographed.

Regards, Bridewell.

P.s. Apologies to Colin. I know you weren't voting for Chopper - just couldn't resist the remark!

Comment

Ah, it couldn't have been Chelsea-Man Utd then.

There were hard men around at that time - Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter, Trevor Brooking....

Comment

Working...
                                X