Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    In Bruges—Best Movie of 2008
    I agree. But then I only saw two new movies this year, this one and Quantam of Solace. Bruges beat Bond by a mile.

Roy
    Sink the Bismark

Comment

• I did the last of my Christmas shopping today, and it was snowing throughout my time in the city centre. On getting home and having a hot drink, I wrapped parcels whilst watching X-Files:I want to Believe.

The plot is like a "Monster Episode" of the series, even though there isn't really a monster, and it appeared as if there wasn't really a structured plot, a bit of a let down really.

The movie featured the usual one liners from Luder and Scully, a lenghty session of tonsil tennis between the two, X-zibit as a spineless FBI agent, and A.D. Walter Skinner in a role that should have been much bigger.

Now, I think it is time Mulder found his sister Samantha, and Chris Carter put the show to rest.

I also tried to watch the Mummy 3 today, but really couldn't be bothered. Maybe tomorrow.
      Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        Is it about the Monster of Bruges?
        Who/What is that, Stan?
        Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackkat View Post
          He beat Bond did he? I'm gonna have to see it.
          Yes I thought so. This new Bond has lost his joi di vie. Like Barbara Brocolli got hold of some sour cauliflower.
          Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Hi Roy,

The Monster of Bruges was the skeleton of a grossly deformed adult person who was found walled up in a church building there in 1908 when the structure was being torn down. Cause of death and how long the sole had been there remained undetermined. Perhaps it was an unsolved medieval murder or maybe that's what the killer just wanted us to think.
            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Just watched the Quantum of Solace two weeks ago and three days ago I've watched the movie Twilight. Pretty disappointed with the Twilight movie plot, the movie didn't follow what was on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight novel.

Comment

• or soul even.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Vila, I love your classic sci-fi list! It reminded me of a couple of incidents. One, my daughter was taking an English lit class in university and told her then boyfriend that she had to write a paper on the theme of The Tempest. She told him the story line, and he said, "Hey! That's the story of 'Forbidden Planet'." They watched that movie and she did her paper on it.

A friend went on a blind date with a guy from the personal columns and was momentarily impressed when he said he liked 'foreign films'. When she asked which ones, he said, "Like, Godzilla."
                  Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

Comment

• Here are a couple of amusing incidents from my years in the Movie retail and rental industry,

A couple of Asian gentlemen came in and asked for "Indian Films" my co-worker, who wasn't the sharpest tool in the box, said, "Try the Cowboy films in the Western section"
                    Asian gentlemen complained about her being racist!

A group of Russian gentlemen came in and bought a phone, but couldn't get it to work, the same co-worker told them, "Come back when you can speak English!"
                    They understood her enough to complain about her being racist!

She was forced out of the company!

A lady came in and asked for "Stir of Egos" my colleagues spent ages looking for it, until I informed them she was mistaken, and it was "Stir of Echoes"

A guy came in and wanted to watch "Shaft" starring Samuel L Jackson, his wife wasn't interested, so he said loudly,
                    "C'mon babe, you loved him in the Matrix!"
                    I quitely told him, Samual L Jackson and Larry Fishburne where not the same man!

One of the security staff was sent by his wife for a film, by the time he arived at the store he had forgot the film, but knew it was about "A man on his own"
                    After hours of searching we narrowed it down to "Bourne Identity"
                    Regards Mike

Comment

• I just watched Tropic Thunder on DVD - it was okay.

Comment

• I watched My Winnipeg last night. The film is a sort of beatnik style pseudo-documentary so it's not for everyone. A treat is the appearance 1940s film noir actress Ann Savage who proves that she can still command the screen. She's in her late 70s now and looks every bit of it but there's still something strangely alluring about her. I hope we get to see more of Ann in the future.
                        Last edited by sdreid; 12-08-2008, 07:18 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Speaking of under-appreciated actresses, we lost two last week. The first was Dutch-born Nina Foch who had limited success as a supporting actress in melodramas like Executive Suite as well as some sword-and-sandal movies such as The Ten Commandments. She also had an extensive career as a guest star on many TV series. Nina was 84.

Stan Reid

Comment

• The other was Beverly Garland. She's probably remembered most as the wife of both Bing Crosby and Fred MacMurray in TV sitcoms as well as many television series guest appearances. She was always sexy as a panelist on Mike Stokey's Stump the Stars too. My memories of her though are as the actress in film noir classics like D.O.A., when she was still going by the name Beverly Campbell, and in Roger Corman exploitation movies such as Swamp Women. She also always looked delicious in the wonderful low-budget 1950s science-fiction movies including Not of this Earth and It Conquered the World. I always thought she was a hottie. Beverly was an 82 year old widow and until now I always held out hope that she might be interested in dating a younger man.

Both women died Friday.
                            Last edited by sdreid; 12-08-2008, 08:32 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Raw Meat

Saw Raw Meat this past weekend, a 1970's flick featuring survivors of tunnel workers buried in the Underground in the 19th century by cannibalism. Soundtrack was pretty horrid. Donald Pleasance was good as the police inspector but overall the film was not worth the time wasted watching.

Comment

• Reminds me of the old version of FOG. I recommend the new version, don't waste your time on the older one.
                                "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                                X