Bible John (General Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    A question for our Scottish contingent To a Scot how individual would someone from McInnes’s geographical background been? Would a fellow Scot, like Jean, have detected a local accent?
    Hi Herlock!

I live 11 miles away from Stonehouse, and no, there would be no noticeable twang to anyone from Stonehouse.

Stonehouse is within 10 miles of the towns of Hamilton, Carluke and Motherwell, so while it is in the countryside it is very close to large towns where I would expect many Stonehouse residents to work.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Hi Herlock!

I live 11 miles away from Stonehouse, and no, there would be no noticeable twang to anyone from Stonehouse.

Stonehouse is within 10 miles of the towns of Hamilton, Carluke and Motherwell, so while it is in the countryside it is very close to large towns where I would expect many Stonehouse residents to work.
      Thanks Barn,

So just to be clear (as my question might not have been) Jean could have heard the accent of someone from Stonehouse and taken it for a local Glasgow one.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Thanks Barn,

So just to be clear (as my question might not have been) Jean could have heard the accent of someone from Stonehouse and taken it for a local Glasgow one.
        Oh yes, absolutely!

Comment

• I attach a couple of pages from official documents relating to the three victims Pat Docker, Jemima MacDonald and Helen Puttock.
          These are clearly some of the documents referenced by Audrey Gillan in her podcast.

Some text is tricky to make out, and I think it is clearer on the initial web page (link attached)

What is striking is the casual misogyny on display.

Uncovering the stories of three women thought to have been murdered by the same man in 1960s Glasgow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_127981427_policereports.jpg.webp
Views:	51
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	839741

Comment

• How easy the word ‘promiscuous’ comes out. As if they were sleeping with a man every time they went dancing.

Thanks for posting Barn. Can you, or anyone, make out Jean’s address on the middle page?
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Oh yes, absolutely!
              Thanks Barn
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

How easy the word ‘promiscuous’ comes out. As if they were sleeping with a man every time they went dancing.

Thanks for posting Barn. Can you, or anyone, make out Jean’s address on the middle page?
                Yeah Herlock, it is Harland Cottages, not far from Earl Street.

Here's a link to Google Maps.

Comment

• I think you’ve misread that Barn. 11 Harland Cottages was where Joan Armour (O’Donnell) lived, she was a friend of Helen’s. Jean’s address is 3 lines above that.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I think you’ve misread that Barn. 11 Harland Cottages was where Joan Armour (O’Donnell) lived, she was a friend of Helen’s. Jean’s address is 3 lines above that.
                    Doh!
                    Sorry, I'll have another go at it.

Comment

I think you’ve misread that Barn. 11 Harland Cottages was where Joan Armour (O’Donnell) lived, she was a friend of Helen’s. Jean’s address is 3 lines above that.
                      Could it be Hawick Street?

There is a Hawick Street about 1.8 miles from Earl Street.

Comment

Could it be Hawick Street?

There is a Hawick Street about 1.8 miles from Earl Street.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...5fwj?entry=ttu
                        I was thinking that it’s either Nawick or Hawick with Hawick sounding the likeliest and as you’ve found it that must be the one. The number looks like 189 to me?
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• It’s a semi-detached end house on Google Earth. I can’t see any reason why it couldn’t be the same house?
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

It’s a semi-detached end house on Google Earth. I can’t see any reason why it couldn’t be the same house?
                            I think it's Hawick Street.
                            If you check on Google Street View there is a Kelso street just off it.
                            The council tended to use themes when naming streets, so to have two streets next to one another named after Border towns seems logical.

Comment

I think it's Hawick Street.
                              If you check on Google Street View there is a Kelso street just off it.
                              The council tended to use themes when naming streets, so to have two streets next to one another named after Border towns seems logical.
                              Am I right in thinking that it’s pronounced Hoik?
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Am I right in thinking that it’s pronounced Hoik?
                                Yeah, but it looks weird spelt like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X