Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is an interesting narrative. It doesnt read like "If I did it" but rather "I didn't do it and I know who did but won't tell". For the benefit of the thread, allow me to summarise what I think are the key points in the article.

Wallace claims he knows a man who thought there would be loads of money in the cashbox that night, as every Tuesday, and somehow persuaded Julia to let him wait for Wallace to return. He describes the murder events with precision. Of course, if he did it he was merely retelling events as though standing outside himself, perhaps as a stoic would.

However, he says he is of a gentle nature, and as a chemist, could have gotten away with murder by poisoning, which he could have made painless. This is feasible, and would suggest that if Wallace wacked her it was likely due to an emergency of some kind. I think a man whose self-image was that of a stoic would be unlikely to lose his temper, although it is not impossible of course.

He claims to know the name of the killer, and that he has form as a thief. He claims to be afraid that this man will try to kill him. Surely he should at least tell the police, although he explains they seem to have stopped listening.

If on a jury I would be hard pressed to decide the truth from this.

On the one hand, he could simply be in denial, telling us how he did it whilst denying it. We only have his word for it that he is capable of great stoicism and so appears callous whilst churning inside. In this case, his motive for the article is clear: he suffers opprobium from just about everyone and would like to be rid of it.

On the other hand, he might remain in a state of shock, agonising each day on what must have happened to his poor wife in his absence. As a chess player, he would have been able to weigh up likely actions to explain how the end game came about in the parlour that remorseful day. It does not prove he was present. In this case he is merely surmising about the murder weapon and how the mackintosh was used.

On the third hand, he doesn't use the words you tend to get from those who agonise over bad events: if only I had done this, it would .. what I should have done...etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dupin View Post
      It is an interesting narrative. It doesnt read like "If I did it" but rather "I didn't do it and I know who did but won't tell". For the benefit of the thread, allow me to summarise what I think are the key points in the article.

Wallace claims he knows a man who thought there would be loads of money in the cashbox that night, as every Tuesday, and somehow persuaded Julia to let him wait for Wallace to return. He describes the murder events with precision. Of course, if he did it he was merely retelling events as though standing outside himself, perhaps as a stoic would.

However, he says he is of a gentle nature, and as a chemist, could have gotten away with murder by poisoning, which he could have made painless. This is feasible, and would suggest that if Wallace wacked her it was likely due to an emergency of some kind. I think a man whose self-image was that of a stoic would be unlikely to lose his temper, although it is not impossible of course.

He claims to know the name of the killer, and that he has form as a thief. He claims to be afraid that this man will try to kill him. Surely he should at least tell the police, although he explains they seem to have stopped listening.

If on a jury I would be hard pressed to decide the truth from this.

On the one hand, he could simply be in denial, telling us how he did it whilst denying it. We only have his word for it that he is capable of great stoicism and so appears callous whilst churning inside. In this case, his motive for the article is clear: he suffers opprobium from just about everyone and would like to be rid of it.

On the other hand, he might remain in a state of shock, agonising each day on what must have happened to his poor wife in his absence. As a chess player, he would have been able to weigh up likely actions to explain how the end game came about in the parlour that remorseful day. It does not prove he was present. In this case he is merely surmising about the murder weapon and how the mackintosh was used.

On the third hand, he doesn't use the words you tend to get from those who agonise over bad events: if only I had done this, it would .. what I should have done...etc.

Well that's to be expected (that he would write it like that, not like a confession). I just think IF he's guilty, he is literally telling you precisely how the murder was committed.

If he's innocent, his theories hold only a little more merit than any of the ones we could invent.

He is clearly accusing Gordon Parry in this. If he's innocent he had total conviction in the belief Parry is the culprit.

Comment

We all appreciate the effort that you’ve put in here WWH

Is there anything else to post or are you at the end of it?

Could I ask a favour? Would it be possible to post the Robert Carr stuff?

Thanks again. I’m hoping to have a good read through over the weekend.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          We all appreciate the effort that you’ve put in here WWH

Is there anything else to post or are you at the end of it?

Could I ask a favour? Would it be possible to post the Robert Carr stuff?

Thanks again. I’m hoping to have a good read through over the weekend.
          I have more but it's a case of trying to determine what is relevant, because there's a LOT of newspaper clippings which essentially repeat the same exact things over and over (or details we've all aready heard 100 times before). That's the massive bulk of the file.

I will post the Robert Carr letters for you:

---

Testimony of Witness Robert Carr:

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

---

Cont next post...

Comment

Cont next post...

Comment

Cont next post...

Comment

Chronology uncertain...

---

Looks like there was more cards than I had originally transcribed, so good thing you made this request of me. Let me see what other stuff I can dig up. Some of it the handwriting was too bad to understand but I photographed anyway, I will post some of those in the next post.

Comment

Illegible To Me (Help Appreciated):

---

#1:

This appears to be regarding Robert Carr. I can make out that the person who has written this wrote that he does not believe the matter deserves further attention, and it appears the original note at the top refers to the accusation of police negligence (I assume this is what is being discussed here).

I see mention of an enclosed letter. If I remember right this folder was empty, however. It is probably the ones I posted above which have, I assume, simply been moved to a different folder.

#2:

Inscribed on the inside on two sides of a folder. Another thing about Robert Carr I can see the name Wallace and something about "no power to order a trial to be reopened or to institute an inquiry of the kind ___. he ____ to contemplate. It does not appear to the ___ that ____ purpose could be served at this stage by a reopening of the case". I believe this may again be related to Robert Carr.

#3:

I think this might be two inscribed sides of the inside of a folder and its folder (although I am not sure if it's the same folder now). I cannot read a single word of anything on the left column, or much of anything on the cover. I think it may have something to do with a debate regarding Wallace receiving compensation for his legal fees.

#4:

I have a lot of folder covers and random legal letters like this. I do not believe it has any bearing on the case so I am trying not to clog up the thread with unnecessary information that could confuse people (or prevent the easy discovery of vital clues). But I cannot fully read all of this.

Will continue digging...
                  Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 01-17-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Anonymous Confession Correspondence (Chronologically Accurate):

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

---

Cover:

Correspondence:

Cont next post...

Comment

Comment

I think that is everything important. Contrary to what is written on some folders, there are no photographs in the file (apart from the ones included on newspaper articles).

Here is the folder for the entirety of the files:

About 90% of the bulk is a huge blue folder with tonnes of newspaper clippings, and another big folder with everything from the trial.

If you would like, I can upload all the images, even the junk ones, into one giant album so you can peruse everything there is to see. I think the only thing I did not photograph was a list of what looked to be the names of convicts due to appear at court that day, and accidentally skipped one page of the trial where Mr. Crewe was speaking. As far as I am aware I did not miss anything important although I could plan a second visit if needed.

More likely, the best next move would be to go down to Liverpool, which I have already been granted permission to do.

Comment

Great stuff WWH. I don’t know how it would work to put the rest into a folder and post it or if it’s possible? Would it be a pain for you to do? I’ll leave with you WWH.

On those two that you were struggling to read

“Mr R Carr alleging police negligence in failing to call him asa witness. ask H/O to take up the matter.”

Minutes

“He says he has written to the DoPP (Direct of Public Prosecutions) and received a reply to the effect not a matter for the Director.”

On the letter where you have questioned 2 parts - the first is “SofS” > Secretary of State, the second says “any useful purpose.”
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Great stuff WWH. I don’t know how it would work to put the rest into a folder and post it or if it’s possible? Would it be a pain for you to do? I’ll leave with you WWH.

On those two that you were struggling to read

“Mr R Carr alleging police negligence in failing to call him asa witness. ask H/O to take up the matter.”

Minutes

“He says he has written to the DoPP (Direct of Public Prosecutions) and received a reply to the effect not a matter for the Director.”

On the letter where you have questioned 2 parts - the first is “SofS” > Secretary of State, the second says “any useful purpose.”
                            Thanks for the transcription. I can upload every single photograph I took no problem, give me a moment, suppose it's just a case of sticking a USB from my mobile to my laptop. Will post when done.

Comment

All photos here. You may find some duplicate or blurry images in there, I just dumped the entire lot that I took:

Comment

Originally posted by WallaceWackedHer View Post

All photos here. You may find some duplicate or blurry images in there, I just dumped the entire lot that I took:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-3...v77y_H2qundJsf
                                Cheers WWH.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X