No announcement yet.

When Flying Saucers Attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The following Vice Presidents brought some degree of disgrace on the office or themselves:

Jefferson - due to the rules for electing Presidents and Vice Presidents in the first four elections, he was Vice President under John Adams in 1797 - 1801 by only three votes difference, and he was head of the opposition. He gleefully allowed his followers to attack Adams' policies while serving in the same administration.

Burr - his behavior in 1800 made him a suspect to Jefferson for the years they served together, as Burr technically tied Jefferson for the Presidency and then tried to grab the office. Killing Hamilton (in a duel, not a personal assassination) made Burr look bloodthirsty (from what I read Hamilton smeared Burr's daughter Theodosia and Burr had a legitimate gripe). The treason trial was a put up job by Jefferson to get back at Burr (who used his Vice Presidency to do to Jefferson what Jefferson did to Adams); the basis for the treason charges was basically the testimony of General in Chief James Wilkinson...one of the least trustworthy figures in American history.

Daniel D. Thompkins (for whom the square in New York City is named) - first rate war governor in the War of 1812, he ruined himself financing the state war effort. His rival De Witt Clinton made corruption charges that drove Dan to drink. He was Monroe's Veep for all eight years, getting drunker and drunker. He died within a year of leaving office. Many feel the able Thompkins possibly could have been Monroe's successor had he not become an alcoholic.

John C. Calhoun - Best recalled as spokesman for the Southern states in the great Senate triumverate with Webster (the Northeast) and Clay (the west),
    he was also one of the most original political thinkers of his time (the "concentric majority" theory of politics: that there are regional and other types of majority groups in so-called majorities). But he was also overly ambitious for the Presidency (as were Webster and Clay). Calhoun was able to side-step the 1824 free-for-all for the Presidency that engulfed Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, and William Crawford of Georgia (believe it or not, Crawford was the favorite due to his brilliant use of patronage, but a series of strokes made it impossible). Calhoun opted for the Vice Presidency instead (he realized that if the other four failed to get a majority on March 4, 1825, the Vice President became President!). When Adams got elected by the House of Representatives, Calhoun repeatedly stabbed Adams and his policies in the back. As a reward, Andrew Jackson made Calhoun his Veep in 1828. Calhoun apparently believed Jackson was going to die soon - Old Hickory fooled him. Old Hickory got the real measure of Calhoun quickly, and did to him what Adams couldn't: he faced him down over the Nullification Controversy where Calhoun's South Carolina threatened secession in 1832 over a new tariff. Calhoun resigned the Vice Presidency, and returned as Senator from South Carolina.

Richard Mentor Johnson - our first Vice President Johnson, and the only one not to achieve the Presidency (and the only V.P. Johnson not to achieve it by the assassination of his predecessor). He was a character from Kentucky,
    who got his first break by fighting heroically at the battle of the Thames River in 1813. During that battle the great Indian statesman and leader, Tecumseh, was killed. Johnson claimed he shot him. This led to the most inane campaign song of it's day: "Rumpsey Dumpsey, Rumpsey Dumpsey - Colonel Johnson killed Tecumsey (sic!)!" It took him to the U.S. House and Senate, where he was an early Jacksonian spokesman for the common (white) man. Like the more talented Calhoun, Clay, and Webster he wanted to be President. In 1836 he got nominated for the Vice Presidency reluctantly, and has the dubious distinction of being the only Vice President who had to be selected by U.S. House of Representatives (the votes for Martin Van Buren were overwhelmingly for him as opposed to the four Whigs, including William Harrison and Daniel Webster, running against him - but the votes for Vice President were not so overwhelmingly in favor of Johnson so there had to be a run-off). Johnson had some baggage for that period. He had a mistress who was of mixed racial parentage, and two daughters by this marriage (who he treated well, and even put into finishing school). It was this that was the cause of his not being overwhelmingly elected to the Vice Presidency. He got bored running the Senate, and hearing better men discussing policy. He left Washington to run a hotel in Kentucky for part of his term. When Van Buren got renominated in 1840 Matty put his foot down and said he did not want to run again with Johnson. For the only time in American political history a major party (the Democrats) refused to nominate a candidate for Vice President. Unphased, Johnson campaigned on his own for re-election. He was handily beaten by John Tyler. Fortunately for the country too, as Tyler would become the first Vice President to succeed to the Presidency.

John Tyler and John C. Breckenridge - This is really an unfair point, but in our politically correct period we have to bring it up. Tyler and Breckenridge would be the only two Vice Presidents to join the Confederacy in the Civil War. Personally I don't find that as bad as some of the other stuff I have mentioned, but because the South's government supported slavery one has to keep it in mind. Tyler was elected to the Confederate House of Representatives, but died in 1862. Breckenridge would serve as a leading General in the CSA and would be Confederate Secretary of War under Jefferson Davis for about a year.

Millard Fillmore - Again an unfair point, but one has to make it. Fillmore had been a Congressman and New York State's Comptroller (the only State Comptroller ever to become President). He was a Whig when nominated Veep with General Zachary Taylor. Taylor died in July 1850 (a Presidential death date, by the way, gleefully overlooked by those list makers who talk about the "curse of the Presidency" where the Chief Executive dies every 20 years - up to Reagan - when they were elected in a year ending in "zero").
    Fillmore immediately used his being President to do his most controvertial but constructive act: he signed the Compromise of 1850, which Taylor had opposed, and put off the American Civil War by 10 years! Although historians deeply respect Taylor's nationalism in the struggle over the Compromise, Fillmore served two thirds of the term they were elected together in, and is probably the best of the four Presidents we had in the 1850s. Had Taylor lived it might have been Taylor who got that reputation.
    But Fillmore lost the 1852 Whig nomination to General Winfield Scott, who lost
    to Franklin Pierce. As a result, in 1856, Fillmore accepted the nomination of the American or "Know Nothing" Party, which was anti-immigrant (in particular Irish, German, and Catholic immigrant). He came in third in that election to James Buchanan (the winner - a Democrat) and John Charles Fremont (the Republican). Believe it or not, except for the choice of his new party, Fillmore was probably the best of the three candidates! But it is a black mark against Millard that he ran on the ticket of a bigotted party.
    Oh, I have a suspicion I know why. Fillmore's chief achievement in American history (outside of the signing of the Compromise - and sending Commodore Perry to Japan in 1853) was getting the government to finance the developement of Samuel Morse's telegraph in 1843 - 44. Morse was a leading "Know Nothing" spokesman, and probably convinced Fillmore to come along with the new party.

Schuyler Colfax and Henry Wilson - Grant's two Veeps were able men (Colfax had been Speaker of the House and Wilson head of the Military Affairs Committee of the Senate) before they served under Ulysses. But there were disquieting points about both: Colfax (known as "Smiler" behind his back) was too much the ever-friendly type. Lincoln had to deal with him as Speaker of the House, and never trusted him. Wilson may have blown the plans of General Irwin McDowell for the first battle of Bull Run to Confederate agent Rose Greenhow in July 1861, with whom he was carrying on a small love affair
    (the Senator was married). Both men were caught up in the Credit Mobelier bribery scandal of 1872, and it ruined Colfax's reputation totally. Wilson was not as deeply involved. In any case, he died in 1875 while still Vice President.

Charles Curtis - in a class by himself. The most irritating and pompous ass who ever was elected Vice President. He is distinguished only because he was the only native American (part Kaw Indian) who was elected to either of the two national party offices. But that wasn't because of anything he planned or did - it was done by his ancestors.

Curtis had been a "stand-patter" Republican. Basically conservative and pro-business he did not care for the reform element of say T.R., George Norris, Robert LaFollette, Robert Taft (in short the ones who actually did stuff of importance). Curtis was a good fellow - accommodating, a nice guy. As a wire puller he eventually rose to be Senate Majority leader under Harding and Coolidge. Well and good. Unfortunately he agreed to run for Vice President with Herbert Hoover. Big mistake that.

To begin with, although our image of Hoover is tarnished by his inept (or somewhat inept) handling of the Wall Street Crash of 1929 and the Great Depression that followed, Hoover actually belongs in that reform element with T.R., Norris, LaFollette, and Taft! He really became the most effective Secretary of Commerce in our nation's history under Harding and Coolidge, and part of the prosperity of the 1920s is due to his pushing American goods around the world. He had plans for penal reform (some of which he actually got through as President). He did yeoman work in the Mississippi Flood relief of the late 1920s. It mirrored his earlier work under Woodrow Wilson feeding the refugees in war scarred Europe after World War I.

Curtis couldn't stand Herb! He felt Hoover was not a real Republican. If you define Republican as a smuck who uses that party's label to get reelected every couple of years, Curtis is right. If you consider a real Republican as one who pushes some type of program (for better or worse) that is to help American society (as one could say of a "real Democrat" as well) then Curtis sounds like an idiot. He was one.

They got elected because the Democrats nominated Al Smith, who was Catholic. Unfortunately (and not to knock Hoover...I'm not so certain about Curtis though) bigotry did elect the ticket. Curtis showed the bigots the wisdom of this within a year. He insisted that old friends (many being powerful Republican Senators) address him as Mr. Vice President, not this old "Charlie" business. Hoover, soon worrying about the continuing Depression, was forced to arbitrate a dispute in Kansas politics (Curtis' state) between Curtis and governor Alf Landon over a minor political appointment. Curtis was unmarried, but lived with his sister in Washington.
    When there were state dinners he got into a contretemps with Speaker of the House Nicholas Longworth about who had priority in following President and Mrs. Hoover into the dining room. This is totally inane, I know, but Mrs. Longworth was the former Alice Roosevelt (T.R.'s oldest child), and one of the best known society figures of the day. Hoover had to settle this too.

Curtis did spend his time helping worthy citizens - his definition of worthy citizens. There was "Doc" John Brinkley, the quack monkey gland doctor who promised to rejuvenate men with his simple operation of attaching monkey glands to the men. Brinkley was having problems with the American Medical Association (one wonders why!), and took his money to build a powerful radio transmitter that sent his programs throughout the midwest, and had effects on local elections in several states - including Kansas (Brinkley's illegal right ins almost beat Landon for the Governorship). Instead of denouncing this dangerous quack and demagogue, Curtis went to bat for him and tried to get the FCC to grant him a license.

As the Depression deepened, and Hoover tried several temporary measures and agencies (some were actually used as models in the New Deal by FDR), Curtis "helped" by delivering boring speeches about how the people were idiots and should not interfere with what the government was doing to help them - and should be glad the government knew best.

Then came the "Bonus March Fiasco" that sealed the doom for poor Hoover.

World War I vets marched on Washington to try to get Congress to speed up a law that would give them their war benefits (pensions) in 1940. If speeded up to 1932 it would be more useful. Hoover opposed it on grounds tied to his views of Goverment involvement with the economy and whether it would be a safe measure in the middle of the depression. A camp was set up by the Bonus Marchers at Anacostia Flats near Washington. Hoover's Secretary of War, General Patrick Hurley, and the chief of staff, General Douglas MacArthur, would eventually over react and burn down the village, killing several fo the bonus marchers. This would really finish Hoover's hopes for reelection. It also would trail MacArthur for the rest of his military and political career, and probably have much to do with his failure to ever achieve a nomination for President like Eisenhower did.

But in the middle of it all, adding to the growing paranoia was our boy Charlie.
    He noted that many of the Bonus Marchers went to see their congressman on Capitol Hill to discuss the possible legislation. This happens to be permissable by our laws, and indeed most democracies promote this. NOT CHARLIE. He contacted the local military men (supposedly answerable to MacArthur) and said the Capitol Building was being threatened. Before MacArthur, Hurley, or Hoover knew what was going on hundreds of U.S. soldiers were patroling the grounds of the Capitol as well as the Senate and House chambers. Keep in mind, in 1932 the powers of the Vice President were really limited to being presiding officer of the Senate, and being occasionally used by the President. Vice Presidents did not really have the power to send for troops. Thus this jackass created a weird precedent that fortunately nobody has ever followed since.

Came the convention, due to realization that the Republicans were going to be swept out, Hoover could not convince anyone to replace Curtis on the ticket. He was also upset to find Curtis trying to have them replace Hoover with himself on the ticket as Presidential candidate. Stuck together in 1932, I suspect that in the midst of his sense of unfair failure at being defeated by FDR Hoover at least was happy to know he no longer was tied to Curtis. Hoover in later years was able to regain the respect of most of the nation, especially after President Truman put him to work again with war refugees and feeding the nations of Europe and Asia after World War II. Today his Hoover Institute for Foreign Affairs Studies is an important center at his alma mater Stamford University. There was a sense of loss when he died in 1964.

No such sense of loss regarding Charlie. He died in 1936 while in the practice of law. He never even bothered returning to Kansas.

Jeff

Comment

• Thanks for all that interesting stuff Jeff. I was always a little fascinated that Calhoun could be VP to two different Presidents without ever getting the promotion. It makes him look a little lacking.

Mike-Spot is probably somewhat smug because he's about the only world famous hamster.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I had a Hamster once,he was famous,or should i say infamous in our house for decimating our yucca plant.I dont think he actually eat it,he just liked collecting the leaves....and bark....and funnily enough the compost.
        regards

Comment

• I was thinking of posting his own channel on Youtube, a series of mini shows were he is on some sort of quest, think the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, performed by one hanster, in the confines of his cage and you get the idea.

It is sunny here for the first time in months, it was yesterday so my son and I took a nice stroll to the local park, at that point the heavens opened and we got soaked, seeking shelter in a makeshift den!

It was the Lord Mayors Parade today, and the locals were out in there thousands, it passes our street so we walked up seconds before it came and got a great view! Think I over did it though because I am knackered now!

I too enjoy reading all the stuff about the Presidents, Jeff and JD should write a book
          Regards Mike

Comment

• Spot the Hampster, the youtube clips, the series, then the movie!
            I'll take that over U.S. Presidents anytime.

Comment

• Yes Mike, if you won't post your own pic, at least give us a shot of Spot.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I will attempt to get a picture of him, he is nocturnal so I will have to stay up late or wake up early!

There are pics of me and my little family on my myspace page, if you are a member of myspace they are open for viewing.

My facebook account also has a pic of me, on stage during my radio/MC-ing days infront of a crowd of dishevelled dancers.

Sleep all day, party all night, it's great being a hamster!!
                Regards Mike

Comment

• Cool stuff Mayerling!

It is funny how people who "summon" the "Founding Fathers" seem to forget the tarnish on Jefferson.

My Southern friends will twitch a bit when bringing up the likes of Calhoun, Breckinridge and other TRAITORS TO [Stop that!--Ed.] but the bottom line is these men supported slavery. Calhoun was literally carried into Congress on his death bed to support it. There is quite the movement in "historical revisionism" to make the Confederacy something other than a movement devoted to keeping one race in thrall to another.

Not that the Northerners were "enlightened" in racial theory or fought the Civil War to abolish slavery. . . .

Okay, Fun Trivia Question--Mayerling cannot answer initially: who was the first gay President.

No . . . not Bush, Clinton, or the obvious choice, Carter. . . .

. . . not . . . that there is anything wrong with those. . . .

--J.D.

Comment

• . . . and we demand hamster pickies.

--J.D.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctor X View Post
                      Cool stuff Mayerling!

Okay, Fun Trivia Question--Mayerling cannot answer initially: who was the first gay President.

No . . . not Bush, Clinton, or the obvious choice, Carter. . . .

. . . not . . . that there is anything wrong with those. . . .

--J.D.
                      Gay? quite the opposite in my opinion- I thought they were all miserable bastards!
                      regards
                      The answer is Calvin (penelope) Coolidge, legend has it that he frequently paraded around the White house in a tank top and hot pants (pink) true? Ive no idea.

Comment

• According to a gay guy I used to work with, Reagan. I know everyone says Buchanan.

Carter was frightened by a little bunny and pulled up puking when he tried to run in a race. He has to be our worst President ever. If there was ever one worse, America wouldn't be here.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Your friend needs to check his "Gay-Dar."

As much as I find Carter a failure as a President who has now sold his legacy, he still did not threaten the office the way Nixon did.

Funny, it use to be that Harding was forever the "worse"--to which all must give thanks! More recent historians have tried to rehabilitate him a bit, but Nixon may have abused his power, but he was not as blindingly corrupt nor stupid.

I think Nixon did a lot of good things, certainly more than Carter . . . but . . . obstruction of justice . . . you cannot have that.

There is good evidence for Buchanan. I normally do not pay attention to "historical suppositions"--"was Jack the Ripper a female transvestite who killed women who reminded her of her cat?"--but apparently it was well known in his circles. As far as I know, it was never a public issue as infidelity was often made an issue. I doubt today you could get a homosexual nominated--let alone elected--unless your opponent is Michael Moore/Ward Churchill or Pat Robertson/David Duke. Even then. . . .

Yes, we are still paying for Jimmy "I Support Theocracies" Carter.

Yours truly,

--J.D.

Comment

• I never figured out why Nixon didn't just use his constitutional power to grant pardons and reprieves. That would have been completely legal and was basically what he was trying to do anyway. It would have got all the Democrats' panties in a bunch but they couldn't have done anything to him unless they could prove that he had knowledge the break-in beforehand.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                              I never figured out why Nixon didn't just use his constitutional power to grant pardons and reprieves. That would have been completely legal and was basically what he was trying to do anyway. It would have got all the Democrats' panties in a bunch but they couldn't have done anything to him unless they could prove that he had knowledge the break-in beforehand.
                              Weeeeelllllll . . . I would leave that up to the actual lawyers since selling pardons is a "no-no" but difficult to prove.

Actually, one thing I do know--because I did research this--the House can impeach you for anything. One question that rose is whether or not one can quash an impeachment for the equivalent of prosecutorial misconduct. Answer: no. Granted, the Senate can vomit all over it.

This was a danger that--surprise, surprise--Pelosi recognized. Impeachment was never suppose to be a political hatchet, used whenever a party achieved simple majority in the House. Oddly enough, prior to Clinton, that is exactly what it was in the case of Andrew Johnson. Clinton's impeachment certainly had political overtones, but he did lie under oath. The Senate vomited over it.

However, the second Bush the Younger got elected, the more Moonbat of the Left started clamoring for "impeachment" as revenge. While the article specifies "high crimes and misdemeanors," what that means is for the House to decide. The Chief Justice/Senate cannot vacate the impeachment based on "that ain't a crime nor a misdemeanor, stupids!"

So . . . yes . . . the House can impeach a President for "you smell bad!"

It became clear to Pelosi--and Republicans--the danger. You will have a perpetual "tit-for-tat" whenever a President does not control the House--each side looking for an excuse. This is one of the reasons she has quashed all attempts. For the "furiners" reading, the Senate has no control over impeachment; the Senate merely handles the trial and votes on conviction. So, the House could have impeached Nixon even if he pardoned those involved in Watergate directly.

Like Clinton, Nixon felt entitled, felt it was a part of doing business, and felt he had a "right" to be where he was. "The country cannot be deprived of Nixon!" So he authorized the cover-up. Funny thing, IF he had come out immediately--"I did not know about this, but subordinates to members of my staff have broken the law . . . bad . . . I take full responsibility"--it probably would have blown over--just as it would have for Clinton. The cover-up always gets you!

Something Roger Clemens is discovering as we write!

Yours impeccably,

--J.D.

Comment

• They got in a big fluff over Ford pardoning Nixon but there weren't any serious suggestions of impeaching him for it and that was the biggie of all time. Ford did provide them with an explanation that there was no set up deal.

I would expect that "high crimes and misdemeanors" would mean the same as "felonies and high misdemeanors" to any reasonable court that was asked to rule on that but you can never know for sure. If it just means a simple misdemeanor, then I suppose one could be impeached for getting a parking ticket. It's true that any of us can be charged with anything if the right fix is in.

A better reason to impeach Nixon would have been for not treating the oil blockade as an act of war.
                                Last edited by sdreid; 05-05-2008, 02:50 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X