When Flying Saucers Attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Jeff,

Let's see if this works. It's one of my treasures, although not a card. It's a clipping from a 1930's Fortune magazine. The seller was not sure of the exact date. I haven't found which issue yet. I'll bet somebody out there has a collection of these magazines. I just happened to scan this one, or download a copy when I bought it. I forget which now. The postcards of her are not on my computer. This almost looks like an obit, but she didn't die until the late 1960's.

I'm really burned out this evening. I will get back with you tomorrow. Hope you like the picture. I also have some of the Gibson girl prints, originals, with her as the model. She was the classic Gibson girl, or one of them. I don't know why I'm so drawn to this lady. I'm not the only one. People are fascinated by her. I'm just learning about her. The books on her and her memoirs are expensive. Especially the memoirs, which I saw yesterday, were over $300. I just got beat out on an autographed PC today. One of her that I had never seen anywhere. It went for over 20 bucks. I should have known to double what I did. I have a PC with her name written on it in pencil, and I am trying to figure out if it is her signature. There are similarities. The previous owner was a smoker, so the card is dark and the signature barely visible. I had to let the vendor know I was not happy about it.

Thanks so much, Jeff. 'Til later. Celesta

PS: I hope the guy that sold me this was not mistaken about the date of the magazine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1930NesbitAA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	653394
    Last edited by Celesta; 04-13-2008, 03:39 AM.
    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Hi Celeste,

Yeah, it is a great picture. She certainly had a type of beauty that is always sought out by men - but she had little in the area of common sense.
      She should have tried to avoid Thaw at least (and maybe White as well). Both were not the best men to deal with if you were into a stage career or a modeling one. Sorry you were beaten out on that autographed memoir of hers. It's hard to get those, even when the author lacks the notoriety of Nesbitt.

By the way, it almost became three notorious lovers at odds. She was also carrying on an affair with John Barrymore in the same period. Fortunately he managed to avoid real entanglement in the Thaw-White-Nesbitt case.

Again thanks for sharing the photo.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
        Hi Magpie,

I'll try to follow the suggestion about cholesterol. As for apple juice, I can drink it occasionally but I'm more partial to cranberry juice (mixed with grape juice or blueberry juice). Forget pomergranate juice - I had my full of that last summer and fall.

Best wishes,

Jeff
        It's the malic acid in apple juice that keeps the gallbladder flexible

A tablespoon of apple vinegar in the juice of your choice (including lemon juice) works well too.
        “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
          Hi Celeste,

Yeah, it is a great picture. She certainly had a type of beauty that is always sought out by men - but she had little in the area of common sense.
          She should have tried to avoid Thaw at least (and maybe White as well). Both were not the best men to deal with if you were into a stage career or a modeling one. Sorry you were beaten out on that autographed memoir of hers. It's hard to get those, even when the author lacks the notoriety of Nesbitt.

By the way, it almost became three notorious lovers at odds. She was also carrying on an affair with John Barrymore in the same period. Fortunately he managed to avoid real entanglement in the Thaw-White-Nesbitt case.

Again thanks for sharing the photo.

Jeff
          Hi Jeff,

I'm still a neophyte when it comes to her life. I know her mother was a factor, and that Evelyn met White at an early age. I discovered last night that the Thaw mansion is up for sale, for a cool $1.6 million. For some reason, I couldn't talk my husband into buying it. He says it's too cold in Pennsylvania. Hmpf, sounds like an excuse to me!
          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
            Hi Jeff,

I'm still a neophyte when it comes to her life. I know her mother was a factor, and that Evelyn met White at an early age. I discovered last night that the Thaw mansion is up for sale, for a cool $1.6 million. For some reason, I couldn't talk my husband into buying it. He says it's too cold in Pennsylvania. Hmpf, sounds like an excuse to me!
            Hi Celesta

If he changes his mind, make sure you and your husband check the small print of mortgage you will have to sign. Sudden balloon payments can be
            murder these days.

Only $1.6 million. I'd have thought it was more.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• Hi Jeff,

That's the truth about the balloon payments. He is very very careful with our finances here. He's a real estate agent's or a car salesman's nightmare!

I was surprised that the asking price wasn't more. It has 20 rooms, 7000 square feet, and over 15 acres and up to a 100+ acres. It's a Tudor. A wee bit out of our budget.

Comment

• Plang, You said this was 1995, when you saw this object? I'll do a search for anything being reported in the area at that time. Mike and Stan might know, right off the top of their head.

Comment

• Leave the dates and locations with me, i will have a look through my files and see what we have.

The 90's were a weird time for ufology, X-Files burst onto the screen and more and more people were watching the skies as well as local military and goverment, because of this ufo sigtings went through the roof, then by 1997 it was the 50th aniv of Kenneth Arnolds sighting and the Roswell Incident, and you could walk into any store and come away with ufo or alien related crap!!

My mother still buys me ufo stuff every christmas, this year it was talking alien gray clock, the last thing you wanna see when you wake up in a morning!!

During this period national and international press were covering ufo stories, abductions were rising, and it seemed as if contact was inevitable, then the millenium hit, and ufology turned to spirituality!!

The most popular ufo type spotted in the 90's was the "Flying Triangle" which was usually black with lights at either corner and a red light in the centre.
                  One was recorded on a gun camera in 1992 over Belgium, and down south in the uk you couldn't move for them, in all the same locations crop circles had appeared years earlier.

I have seen 2 "FT's", one over the City of Hull in the early hours of the morning as we were skywatching, it flew with great speed but we were all very excited, this was in 97. It came from inland and headed over towards the humber, my friends house backed onto a field and there was little light pollution so visibility was always pretty good, we would take sleeping bags, provisions, binoculars and telescopes up onto his roof!!
                  On more than one occasion we fell asleep and it rained on us.

I saw another whilst on the North York Moors in the early 90's whilst hikking with friends. It seemed to crawl to a stop and lower slightly before moving off, fear turned to joy as we realised it had gone!
                  Regards Mike

Comment

• This is amazing, Mike, I have never seen anything like this. My dad & I did see the weird lights in the sky that I posted about before the crash, but they were high in the sky and all blinking at once.

Plang would have to give you exact dates. It was 1995. I meant to check this morning but I got off into trying to find out what happened to Pearly Poll. i don't know why I have it stuck in my head that she was killed. Probably wrong about that.

Comment

• The only Canadian flying saucer incidents I can think of are Shag Harbor and the one where the older immigrant gentleman who was burned when he approached a grounded UFO.
                      Last edited by sdreid; 04-15-2008, 02:15 AM.
                      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Plang, Mike, Stan, Jeff, et al,

I found this, if it will work. This Maple Ridge is not very far from the penthouse and the Park. Or it doesn't look too far. I don't know how to see the diagrams, but I think you have to register. The year--1995--is correct. I don't know what month Plang had his incident.

Comment

• Hi Celeste, Stan. Mike, and Plang,

Hopefully what Celeste found will support Plang's experience as true.

Short message tonight - Little else to say or report. I have begun reading the Amelia Earhart book again.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• Hi Jeff,

Did you see that program about Earhart on PBS? I believe was two weeks back.
                            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• There was a biography of Earhart on the History Channel a few weeks ago.

I have a book about the Earhart disappearance from the 50's or 60's that is fairly solid (ie not sensationalistic). It covers an investigation of the incident sponsered by one of the big TV or radio networks I can't remember which--it's in storage right now while I reorganize my library)
                              “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• There was supposed to be a Earhart movie on the way but I have heard nothing since.

We have been hooked on Casualty 1907, it follows the premise of the Casualty show which is the British ER but puts it in the London Hospital in 1907!!

Que loads of shots of the hospital gates, whitechapel etc!!

It only lasted 3 episodes but was fantastic, really well done, and very enjoyable.

Been busy with RDS research, finally got his birth certificate yesterday!!

Off to archives today see what else I can find!
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X