Book recommendations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book recommendations.

I’m sure there’s already a thread for this but I can’t find it. So the title says it all.

Recommend books here.

Ive never read a book on The Dreyfus Affair so I bought one and I’ve just finished it and can recommend it highly to anyone. It’s ingeniously titled The Dreyfus Affair by Piers Paul Read. Excellent read. I can’t really imagine the need for any further books on the subject but there will be of course.

Mines a hardback picked up on Amazon for just under £5 ($6.82 for those of you that don’t use proper money)

Reviews Required - Casebook: Jack the Ripper Forums
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

I can highly recommend H.H. Holmes: The True History of the White City Devil by Adam Selzer. Think you know anything about Holmes, his Murder Castle or his crimes? Think again. Almost everything I thought I knew about Holmes turns out to be false and Selzer exposes the lazy research of previous writers like Schechter and Larson. Eye opening.

Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
        I can highly recommend H.H. Holmes: The True History of the White City Devil by Adam Selzer. Think you know anything about Holmes, his Murder Castle or his crimes? Think again. Almost everything I thought I knew about Holmes turns out to be false and Selzer exposes the lazy research of previous writers like Schechter and Larson. Eye opening.

Wolf.
        Thanks Wolf, I considered that one a while ago but opted for something else. I think I'll get it.

Comment

I just read this review and thought it sounded interesting.

I love Peter Ackroyd's biography of London and this sounds similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
            https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...droidApp_Other

I just read this review and thought it sounded interesting.

I love Peter Ackroyd's biography of London and this sounds similar.
            Ackroyd’s London is a classic Miss D and this one certainly sounds interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Ackroyd’s London is a classic Miss D and this one certainly sounds interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.
              Yeah, I like the look of this book very much.

I had no idea that prehistoric hippopotamus fossils had been found in Trafalgar Square!!!

The section on Hogarth / Victorian London sounds interesting too.

I'm going to order myself a copy today!

Comment

Yeah, I like the look of this book very much.

I had no idea that prehistoric hippopotamus fossils had been found in Trafalgar Square!!!

The section on Hogarth / Victorian London sounds interesting too.

I'm going to order myself a copy today!
                It’s on my list. I’ll wait until I’ve reduced my ‘to read’ pile first.

Comment

It’s on my list. I’ll wait until I’ve reduced my ‘to read’ pile first.
                  Ha! I have an ever expanding "to read" pile too!

I keep adding to it faster than I'm getting through it though.

I am happy to say that I am on the cusp of completing the 12 month course I have been doing.

It's been quite interesting and should prove worthwhile career-wise, however it has really hampered my reading for pleasure.

For the last year I have had this nagging guilt at the back of my mind whenever reading anything other than my academic text books.

One more assignment to submit (and obviously pass!!) , then the black cloud will be lifted and I can tear into the pile of books sitting tempting me away from my studies, completely free of guilt!

A large beer garden celebration required too!

Comment

Ha! I have an ever expanding "to read" pile too!

I keep adding to it faster than I'm getting through it though.

I am happy to say that I am on the cusp of completing the 12 month course I have been doing.
                    Congratulations my dear, it's really encouraging to hear someone not wasting their life these days.
                    Easy to see you have your priorities in order.
                    I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Congratulations my dear, it's really encouraging to hear someone not wasting their life these days.
                      Easy to see you have your priorities in order.
                      I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours.
                      Thanks Wick!

That's very kind and supportive of you to say!

Overall, I have very much enjoyed the course.

I'm just moaning a bit now because it's the last big push before completion, and the final assignment is a beast!

It's been good to use the academic bits of my atrophied brain which have lain stagnant for so long, but I'd by lying if I said it was something which has come entirely naturally to me!

Still, it's been a mere 12 months graft for a qualification which should be of great benefit.

When I badgered my boss to let me sign up for the course (and indeed foot the bill for it!) Covid 19 and lockdown were nowhere on the horizon, so it turns out I couldn't have picked a better year to do it.

It's been much easier to find the time whilst working from home more than usual, and having a non-existent social life, than it would have been under normal conditions!

Comment

Just thought that I’d add this recommendation (although the book has been mentioned an another thread) The book is The East River Ripper by George R Dekle and is the first full book on the murder of Carrie Brown (“Old Shakespeare”) in 1891. Like everyone else I’ve been aware of this case for years without looking into it. I thought that it was fairly straightforward and that, as there had been no book on the subject, then there was nothing much of interest. How wrong was I? This is a fascinating case and I’d recommend anyone to get this book and look into it. It’s a case that has fascinated Howard Brown and Wolf Vanderlinden for years, and they both know the case inside out, and I can see why.

Comment

Just thought that I’d add this recommendation (although the book has been mentioned an another thread) The book is The East River Ripper by George R Dekle and is the first full book on the murder of Carrie Brown (“Old Shakespeare”) in 1891. Like everyone else I’ve been aware of this case for years without looking into it. I thought that it was fairly straightforward and that, as there had been no book on the subject, then there was nothing much of interest. How wrong was I? This is a fascinating case and I’d recommend anyone to get this book and look into it. It’s a case that has fascinated Howard Brown and Wolf Vanderlinden for years, and they both know the case inside out, and I can see why.

That Amazon link doesn't appear to work, Herlock!

A nice picture of a dog appears though.....???!!!

Comment

Try this one Ms D

Comment

Thanks, Herlock!

Comment

Working...
                              X