No announcement yet.

Book recommendations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finished A Leap In The Dark by John Ferling which was excellent. I can’t imagine a better book on the subject to be honest (that said, it’s only the second that I’ve read and the first was a slim volume) Obviously it covers the battles but it’s certainly not a military history so you don’t have to be knowledgeable on all things military to enjoy it. Highly recommended.

​​​​​….

I finished watching an interesting 4 part documentary series last night called The Man Who Played With Fire about the assassination of Swedish PM Olaf Palme. On the strength of it I’ve ordered the book. The author Jan Stocklassa took over the research of the late Stieg Larsson who found a link to South Africa and those in Sweden who saw Palme’s very vocal opposition to the apartheid as a threat.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Just got that book by Ferling in last week, haven't had a chance to start yet...trying to finish these others up first.
      " Still it is an error to argue in front of your data. You find yourself insensibly twisting them round to fit your theories."
      Sherlock Holmes
      ​​​​​

Comment

• I thought this book looked quite interesting.

It's an aspect of Victorian policing that doesn't often make it into the books as far as I'm aware.

I'll be giving this a go.

Comment

• It looks an interesting one though I have to say that the first drawing looks a bit like something out of a Victorian S+M magazine.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
            https://www.theguardian.com/society/...droidApp_Other

I thought this book looked quite interesting.

It's an aspect of Victorian policing that doesn't often make it into the books as far as I'm aware.

I'll be giving this a go.
            Yelp, sounds interesting, thanks for posting.
            " Still it is an error to argue in front of your data. You find yourself insensibly twisting them round to fit your theories."
            Sherlock Holmes
            ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              It looks an interesting one though I have to say that the first drawing looks a bit like something out of a Victorian S+M magazine.
              I know!

For an era when people were meant to be reduced to paroxysms of lust or clutching for their smelling salts at a glimpse of an uncovered table leg, some of these old illustrations are not shy of an exposed breast or two!

Pure titillation!

Pun intended!

Comment

Working...
              X