Reviews Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviews Required

I just wanted a thread to help me (and others) to make a decision when considering buying a book whether Ripper or non-Ripper.

My first book is Jack Thd Ripper by Otto Penzler.

Worth getting or not?

Thanks all

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    I just wanted a thread to help me (and others) to make a decision when considering buying a book whether Ripper or non-Ripper.

My first book is Jack Thd Ripper by Otto Penzler.

Worth getting or not?

Thanks all
    Hi Herlock, Yeah I can recommend this book.
    It's a beast of a book, over 1,000 pages and well produced.

The first 150 pages cover the factual elements of the case via 11 articles by Robin O'Dell, Peter Underwood, David Abrahamsen and others.

The rest of the book is taken up with short stories based on the case from suck authors as Richard Matheson, Robert Bloch, Marie Belloc Lowndes etc.

It's great "dip into" book, rather than an essential tome, but I note that you can get a brand new copy on Amazon for £5-£6.
    At that price it's a no brainer, although the hardback edition is a lovely thing.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

The first 150 pages cover the factual elements of the case via 11 articles by Robin O'Dell, Peter Underwood, David Abrahamsen and others.

The rest of the book is taken up with short stories based on the case from suck authors as Richard Matheson, Robert Bloch, Marie Belloc Lowndes etc.

It's great "dip into" book, rather than an essential tome, but I note that you can get a brand new copy on Amazon for £5-£6.
      At that price it's a no brainer, although the hardback edition is a lovely
      Interesting may have to look into this book! To add to my collection

Comment

Yeah, Herlock!

I agree with Barn!

It's a good book to dip into perhaps, rather than read cover to cover.

Some of the short stories are better than others.

It was here that I first read (both versions) of The Lodger.

It is indeed a tome of a book, and super cheap for a fiver.

If you don't like it, you can always use it as a large foot rest / door stop / breeze block as suits!!!!

Comment

At that price it's a no brainer, although the hardback edition is a lovely thing.

Cheers Barn, I don’t know how I missed the cheapo version though.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian View Post

Interesting may have to look into this book! To add to my collection
            There’s something you haven’t got?

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
              Yeah, Herlock!

I agree with Barn!

It's a good book to dip into perhaps, rather than read cover to cover.

Some of the short stories are better than others.

It was here that I first read (both versions) of The Lodger.

It is indeed a tome of a book, and super cheap for a fiver.

If you don't like it, you can always use it as a large foot rest / door stop / breeze block as suits!!!!
              Thanks Ms D,

Ive got Penzler’s Sherlock Holmes book do I’ll give this a go for a fiver

Comment

Can you link me to that one Barn. I can’t see one on Amazon. The one that comes to around £5 with p+p shows a photo of a different book so I’m hesitant to order it.

Price comparison lists the cheapest price is Amazon £13.

Comment

There’s one on eBay just under £10. Different cover.

Comment

There’s something you haven’t got?
                    Yes H will pick up the hardback edition already looked for it!!looks a belter

Comment

I just ordered from ebay £9

Comment

Can you link me to that one Barn. I can’t see one on Amazon. The one that comes to around £5 with p+p shows a photo of a different book so I’m hesitant to order it.

Price comparison lists the cheapest price is Amazon £13.

Hi Herlock, yeah you are right, the book that is listed as a paperback copy is clearly not the Otto Penzler book.
                        It's a mistake from the Amazon algorithms!

I'm glad that you managed to get a copy via Ebay.

Comment

Hi Herlock, yeah you are right, the book that is listed as a paperback copy is clearly not the Otto Penzler book.
                          It's a mistake from the Amazon algorithms!

I'm glad that you managed to get a copy via Ebay.
                          Cheers Barn,

Comment

I’m currently reading this one.

Initially the police called this very obvious murder an accident. How?

Then Scotland Yard was called in by the Chief Constable in the shape of Fred Wensley. An exhumation was done and Spilsbury confirmed that it was murder. Wensley then arrested a suspect who appeare to be the right man so I’m wondering how this case ‘defeated’ him? The only thing that I can see that the suspect had in his favour was that he was defended by Edward Marshall Hall so maybe ‘The Great Defender’ pulled it out of the bag for him?

An interesting read so far.

Comment

I’m currently reading this one.

Initially the police called this very obvious murder an accident. How?

Then Scotland Yard was called in by the Chief Constable in the shape of Fred Wensley. An exhumation was done and Spilsbury confirmed that it was murder. Wensley then arrested a suspect who appeare to be the right man so I’m wondering how this case ‘defeated’ him? The only thing that I can see that the suspect had in his favour was that he was defended by Edward Marshall Hall so maybe ‘The Great Defender’ pulled it out of the bag for him?

An interesting read so far.
                              Interesting!

A while ago I read "The Magnificent Spilsbury and the Case of the Brides in the Bath".

That was quite a good read too, as I recall.

Comment

Working...
                              X