What’s your favourite book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
    If I had to get rid of my collection and only keep one book, it would be, The Ultimate jtr sourcebook. Hands down, the only book you really need. There are some great books, but only this has the important info.
    Thats the way I feel, except I'd include the JtR A-Z, there's some valuable background info there, but yes, basically the Ultimate, and an annual subscription to the British Newspaper Archive, is all you need.

I'm not a lover of suspect books, I make a couple of exceptions, like with Druitt, but on the whole I am not interested.
    Last edited by Wickerman; 04-05-2021, 10:28 PM.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Hey Michael.
      I bought Helens book and got about halfway through it, it was well written & well researched, but others were saying it's really an anti-suspect book. She basically proves how he couldn't have been the Ripper, I stopped reading it, just never finished it.
      Was that true?

Good choices bro!

It’s been ages since I read her book Wick (like other books I keep intending a re-read) but yes I seem to recall that she wasn’t exactly going hell for leather for Chapman as a suspect. It was balanced and well researched as you said. More of a biography of Chapman really rather than a ‘case solved book.’ Definitely worth having another read though IMO.

Comment

Thats the way I feel, except I'd include the JtR A-Z, there's some valuable background info there, but yes, basically the Ultimate, and an annual subscription to the British Newspaper Archive, is all you need.

I'm not a lover of suspect books, I make a couple of exceptions, like with Druitt, but on the whole I am not interested.
        Mango says that the new A-Z has sold out? Have you got it Wick?

Comment

No I don't have it Michael, if you mean the 2015 edition, it is available on Kindle.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

No I don't have it Michael, if you mean the 2015 edition, it is available on Kindle.
            No I was talking about the 2021 one but I’ve just checked Mango’s website again and it does say that it’s ‘sold out’ but when you actually click on the book it tells you that it’s not out yet.

Comment

I believe that the best book is yet to come?

Comment

Hey Michael.
                I bought Helens book and got about halfway through it, it was well written & well researched, but others were saying it's really an anti-suspect book. She basically proves how he couldn't have been the Ripper, I stopped reading it, just never finished it.
                Was that true?

Good choices bro!

wicky
                have you read hainsworths latest on druitt?

herlock
                what did you think of it?
                "Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

No I was talking about the 2021 one but I’ve just checked Mango’s website again and it does say that it’s ‘sold out’ but when you actually click on the book it tells you that it’s not out yet.

That sounds better, I spoke with Paul last year and he told me the next edition is not ready yet. Assuming I haven't been in a coma for several months, I have assumed they are still working on it. It wouldn't be the kind of announcement that anyone is going to miss.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

That sounds better, I spoke with Paul last year and he told me the next edition is not ready yet. Assuming I haven't been in a coma for several months, I have assumed they are still working on it. It wouldn't be the kind of announcement that anyone is going to miss.
                    Absolutely. It’s going to be a ‘must have’ book.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

wicky

herlock
                      what did you think of it?
                      I really enjoyed it. I think that he’s provided a huge amount of food for thought on Druitt who, as you know, I feel is a suspect that gets too easily dismissed by some. Of course we can’t say that it’s game over on Druitt but there’s an accumulation of circumstantial stuff that builds up a compelling case for me. The USA version is out in July which includes new research so I’d wait for that one if I were you Abby.

Comment

I really enjoyed it. I think that he’s provided a huge amount of food for thought on Druitt who, as you know, I feel is a suspect that gets too easily dismissed by some. Of course we can’t say that it’s game over on Druitt but there’s an accumulation of circumstantial stuff that builds up a compelling case for me. The USA version is out in July which includes new research so I’d wait for that one if I were you Abby.
                        It's strange!

I just wasn't into that book (and I have no issue with Druitt as a suspect)!

Maybe I was in a bad mood when I read it!!!

I'm thinking it may deserve a reappraisal as others seem to rate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

wicky
                          Not yet Abby, I see the price has come done a bit.
                          I was planning to buy it months ago, then someone posted that there's nothing new in it except something about a newspaper article from France, or about something that happened in France. They posted the article, so I got a handle of the plot. I never did get around to buying it.
                          I see now the hardback is almost the same price as the Kindle on Amazon UK, anyway.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Not yet Abby, I see the price has come done a bit.
                            I was planning to buy it months ago, then someone posted that there's nothing new in it except something about a newspaper article from France, or about something that happened in France. They posted the article, so I got a handle of the plot. I never did get around to buying it.
                            I see now the hardback is almost the same price as the Kindle on Amazon UK, anyway.
                            I’ve pre-ordered the USA one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

It's strange!

I just wasn't into that book (and I have no issue with Druitt as a suspect)!

Maybe I was in a bad mood when I read it!!!

I'm thinking it may deserve a reappraisal as others seem to rate it!
                              You still might not go for the premise of the book Ms D. I was concerned when I first read it but I know think it’s possible. At least you approach it with an open mind which is all any book can ask.

Comment

You still might not go for the premise of the book Ms D. I was concerned when I first read it but I know think it’s possible. At least you approach it with an open mind which is all any book can ask.
                                I hear you, Herlock!

TBH I did approach this one with an open mind as I was quite excited at the prospect of a Druitt book containing new research and theories.

As I recall I had high hopes, then kind of lost faith early on after a few silly mistakes which (to my slightly pedantic mind) undermined the books credibility.

I remember thinking I'd have fired the proof reader!!

I'll put it on my book pile for a reassessment though!

Am busy with a couple of Zodiac books at the mo (as recommended by other posters on here).

I also recently watched The Terror and rekindled my fascination with the Franklin expedition, so there are a few books about that awaiting my attention.

All of this reading for pleasure has to be interspersed with dry legal text books for a course I'm doing too, so that pile will be there awhile before I give Hainsworth a second run out!

Comment

Working...
                                X