Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s your favourite book?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Hi Christian,

    If your asking what's my favourite, based on quality and accuracy or such, it Fido or Sugden. But that's a bit boring. For those personal idiosyncratic reasons, Steve Jones: London The Sinister Side. A great book all round, and my first introduction to Jack The Ripper. And Gin Alley.
    Thems the Vagaries.....

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
      Hi Christian,

      If your asking what's my favourite, based on quality and accuracy or such, it Fido or Sugden. But that's a bit boring. For those personal idiosyncratic reasons, Steve Jones: London The Sinister Side. A great book all round, and my first introduction to Jack The Ripper. And Gin Alley.
      Hi Al no just your personal favourite not based on merit facts so on often for nostalgia got you into the case as you have superbly stated!! Good choice by the way sir

      Comment


      • #18
        Just finished re-reading the graphic novel 'From Hell' which I always enjoy. The story is completely daft but is just done so well. Moore is a brilliant writer and I just love the pictures by Eddie Campbell. It really bring the era to life and humanises some of the characters involved. The portrayal of Abberline is excellent. They is also a vast appendix with explanations for happenings on practically every page, which is also great. The film version does the book, no justice at all.

        Tristan
        Best Regards,

        Tristan

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Losmandris View Post
          Just finished re-reading the graphic novel 'From Hell' which I always enjoy. The story is completely daft but is just done so well. Moore is a brilliant writer and I just love the pictures by Eddie Campbell. It really bring the era to life and humanises some of the characters involved. The portrayal of Abberline is excellent. They is also a vast appendix with explanations for happenings on practically every page, which is also great. The film version does the book, no justice at all.

          Tristan
          Brilliant stuff is a great read as you say unlike the movie;(

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Christian View Post

            ‘‘Tis a great tale Stephens book along with the video to accompany it!!
            Love the video! Personally Donald Rumbelows Jack the Ripper is my favorite. Sudgen is good if not a bit dry.

            The one about Aaron kosminski is the best so far about a singular suspect; Scotland Yards Prime Suspect by Robert House.

            Colombo

            Comment


            • #21
              sugden hands down. for suspect books i think rob houses one on koz and fishes on lech are pretty good, although admittedly i havent read a whole lot of suspect books.

              im going to get hansworths on druitt.

              whats the best one on bury?
              and kelly?
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

              -Edgar Allan Poe


              "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

              -Frederick G. Abberline

              Comment


              • #22
                If I had to get rid of my collection and only keep one book, it would be, The Ultimate jtr sourcebook. Hands down, the only book you really need. There are some great books, but only this has the important info.
                dustymiller
                aka drstrange

                Comment


                • #23
                  Am I cheating by choosing a fiction book? I found 'Time After Time' by Karl Alexander a fun read. Not what you meant though, I think.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Columbo View Post

                    Love the video! Personally Donald Rumbelows Jack the Ripper is my favorite. Sudgen is good if not a bit dry.

                    The one about Aaron kosminski is the best so far about a singular suspect; Scotland Yards Prime Suspect by Robert House.

                    Colombo
                    Very good choices

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by etenguy View Post
                      Am I cheating by choosing a fiction book? I found 'Time After Time' by Karl Alexander a fun read. Not what you meant though, I think.
                      No that’s your choice classic

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                        If I had to get rid of my collection and only keep one book, it would be, The Ultimate jtr sourcebook. Hands down, the only book you really need. There are some great books, but only this has the important info.
                        Great choice fantastic book as you state

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                          sugden hands down. for suspect books i think rob houses one on koz and fishes on lech are pretty good, although admittedly i havent read a whole lot of suspect books.

                          im going to get hansworths on druitt.

                          whats the best one on bury?
                          and kelly?
                          Hi Abby!

                          I'm with you on Sugden!

                          Also, Rob House and Fish for the suspect books.

                          I'd be interested to know what you think of the Hainsworth book once you have read it.

                          I'm in no way anti-Druitt as a suspect, but for some reason I just wasn't feeling that book.

                          I know others disagree, but there are a few really silly mistakes in it as I recall, that kind of put me off.

                          FYI I read Euan MacPherson on Bury and as I recall quite liked it.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            On suspect books...

                            Jack The Ripper At Last? By Helen Wojtczak is one of the best IMO. It’s on Chapman but she doesn’t perform any sleight of hand to shoehorn him into place. Hence the question mark in the title. If you want a book on Chapman I’d suggest that this is the one.

                            Jon Hainsworth’s two books have been mentioned which get a thumbs up from me but I’d also recommend Blood Harvest by David Anderson. Also on Druitt. Howells And Skinner’s Ripper Legacy was also very good.
                            Regards

                            Herlock



                            Chairman of the National Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To The Old Established Theories.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                              On suspect books...

                              Jack The Ripper At Last? By Helen Wojtczak is one of the best IMO. It’s on Chapman but she doesn’t perform any sleight of hand to shoehorn him into place. Hence the question mark in the title. If you want a book on Chapman I’d suggest that this is the one.

                              Jon Hainsworth’s two books have been mentioned which get a thumbs up from me but I’d also recommend Blood Harvest by David Anderson. Also on Druitt. Howells And Skinner’s Ripper Legacy was also very good.
                              Thanks hshall take a look!!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                                On suspect books...

                                Jack The Ripper At Last? By Helen Wojtczak is one of the best IMO. It’s on Chapman but she doesn’t perform any sleight of hand to shoehorn him into place. Hence the question mark in the title. If you want a book on Chapman I’d suggest that this is the one.
                                Hey Michael.
                                I bought Helens book and got about halfway through it, it was well written & well researched, but others were saying it's really an anti-suspect book. She basically proves how he couldn't have been the Ripper, I stopped reading it, just never finished it.
                                Was that true?

                                Jon Hainsworth’s two books have been mentioned which get a thumbs up from me but I’d also recommend Blood Harvest by David Anderson. Also on Druitt. Howells And Skinner’s Ripper Legacy was also very good.
                                Good choices bro!




                                Regards, Jon S.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X