X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna try this again...

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

wicky
    have you read hainsworths latest on druitt?
    I must have been having a senior moment yesterday. When I went upstairs last night - my Ripper bookcase is upstairs - Hainsworth's book, his 2nd, The Escape of Jack the Ripper (thats what we were talking about, right?), it was sitting there on the shelf as plain as day, good grief!
    I had one of those post-it notes in the first chapter, that must be as far as I got.
    I just looked on Amazon for the purchase history, bloody hell, page after page, I need to reign in my spending, but anyway. It was there, I had ordered it last October, it doesn't say when it was shipped - but, there you have it.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

I hear you, Herlock!

TBH I did approach this one with an open mind as I was quite excited at the prospect of a Druitt book containing new research and theories.

As I recall I had high hopes, then kind of lost faith early on after a few silly mistakes which (to my slightly pedantic mind) undermined the books credibility.

I remember thinking I'd have fired the proof reader!!

I'll put it on my book pile for a reassessment though!

Am busy with a couple of Zodiac books at the mo (as recommended by other posters on here).

I also recently watched The Terror and rekindled my fascination with the Franklin expedition, so there are a few books about that awaiting my attention.

All of this reading for pleasure has to be interspersed with dry legal text books for a course I'm doing too, so that pile will be there awhile before I give Hainsworth a second run out!
      I don’t envy you the dry legal text books Ms D. The toughest book I ever read was during a period when I was interested in the JFK assassination. Best Evidence by David Lifton. He claimed that Kennedy’s wounds were surgically altered during the flight on Airforce One! It was like reading a 600+ page autopsy report! I’d lost the will to live after 100 pages but I finished it.

Ive always got a list of books to re-read to add to the 4 or 5 newer ones waiting to be read. I could do with spending a year in a cave somewhere so that I can try and catch up. Then again...I’m just about to order another book so I give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

I hear you, Herlock!

TBH I did approach this one with an open mind as I was quite excited at the prospect of a Druitt book containing new research and theories.

As I recall I had high hopes, then kind of lost faith early on after a few silly mistakes which (to my slightly pedantic mind) undermined the books credibility.

I remember thinking I'd have fired the proof reader!!

I'll put it on my book pile for a reassessment though!

Am busy with a couple of Zodiac books at the mo (as recommended by other posters on here).

I also recently watched The Terror and rekindled my fascination with the Franklin expedition, so there are a few books about that awaiting my attention.

All of this reading for pleasure has to be interspersed with dry legal text books for a course I'm doing too, so that pile will be there awhile before I give Hainsworth a second run out!
        Yuck, law texts are the worst.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post

Yuck, law texts are the worst.
          Ha!

You are right, GUT!

I guess you would know more about that than most!

To be honest, it's just a housing qualification thing for my work, so relatively low level.

Enough for my poor atrophied brain at this time though!

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I don’t envy you the dry legal text books Ms D. The toughest book I ever read was during a period when I was interested in the JFK assassination. Best Evidence by David Lifton. He claimed that Kennedy’s wounds were surgically altered during the flight on Airforce One! It was like reading a 600+ page autopsy report! I’d lost the will to live after 100 pages but I finished it.

Ive always got a list of books to re-read to add to the 4 or 5 newer ones waiting to be read. I could do with spending a year in a cave somewhere so that I can try and catch up. Then again...I’m just about to order another book so I give up.

Well, Herlock!

If you have ever wanted an opportunity to catch up with your reading 2020 - 2021 has presumably provided optimum chance of that!

if you're anything like me you'll have saved money as your social life withered on the vine, so you may as well splash the cash on literature!

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              I'm gonna try this again...

I must have been having a senior moment yesterday. When I went upstairs last night - my Ripper bookcase is upstairs - Hainsworth's book, his 2nd, The Escape of Jack the Ripper (thats what we were talking about, right?), it was sitting there on the shelf as plain as day, good grief!
              I had one of those post-it notes in the first chapter, that must be as far as I got.
              I just looked on Amazon for the purchase history, bloody hell, page after page, I need to reign in my spending, but anyway. It was there, I had ordered it last October, it doesn't say when it was shipped - but, there you have it.

lol. youand me both. I would be interested to know your take on it once you have read it wicky, I respect your opinion.
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

lol. youand me both. I would be interested to know your take on it once you have read it wicky, I respect your opinion.
                Sheet!, no pressure then
                It's about 270 pages so don't wait for me to finish it my friend, but thanks for the vote of confidence anyway.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                  what is your favourite book on jack and why? For me has to be Lenard Matters for the images he took and the first hand account of Dorset Street/Millers Court and worth few quid!!
                  For me, it is the late Philip Sugden's book. I appreciate the lack of bias he presented, and he made what could be seen as "boring" aspects of the case quite interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Holmes' Idiot Brother View Post

For me, it is the late Philip Sugden's book. I appreciate the lack of bias he presented, and he made what could be seen as "boring" aspects of the case quite interesting.
                    Great choice and stand out book indeed!!

Comment

There's a lot of dross, some good books, some very good books and there's one indispensable book, The Ultimate Jack the ripper Sourcebook, Evans and Skinner.

I have two copies, hardback for Sunday best and a tattered and torn, falling apart from use, pencil underlined, book mark stickered, paperback version.

Correction: Just realised I have three, a Kindle version.
                      dustymiller
                      aka drstrange

Comment

Working...
                      X