What’s your favourite book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s your favourite book?

what is your favourite book on jack and why? For me has to be Lenard Matters for the images he took and the first hand account of Dorset Street/Millers Court and worth few quid!!

Tom Westcott's "The Bank Holiday Murders: The True Story of the First Whitechapel Murders (Jack the Ripper Book 1)" is one of my favourites.

It is well written, has a "can't put it down" quality that is especially good for a non-fiction book, and covers some aspects of the crimes that are brushed over in other books.

"Ripper Confidential (Jack the Ripper Book 2)"is also excellent, I might add.

Comment

I might even go for Stephen Knight because of the memories it brings. The WOW factor the first time I read it (completely unaware that Simon Wood had picked holes in it) It’s the theory that I really want to be true but it’s not of course. I read it again a couple of years ago and still enjoyed it.

Id also add the three Arthur Griffith’s volumes. I went to a house clearance with a friend a was allowed to choose a book so I chose this set of three (which he allowed). Even though one of the three is smaller than the others I was still happy to get them as I couldn’t have afforded originals at the time. The downside was that I later found out that he had a couple of books on boxing which were super rare and valuable!

Ive just checked, it was a set of books called Boxiana. If I’d have known! There’s a set on sale online for £6,500
      Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 01-31-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Ive just checked, it was a set of books called Boxiana. If I’d have known! There’s a set on sale online for £6,500
        I believe Christian is now, as I speak, doing his best impression of the guy broadcasting the Hindenburg disaster...Oh the humanity!!
        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

I believe Christian is now, as I speak, doing his best impression of the guy broadcasting the Hindenburg disaster...Oh the humanity!!

Comment

I might even go for Stephen Knight because of the memories it brings. The WOW factor the first time I read it (completely unaware that Simon Wood had picked holes in it) It’s the theory that I really want to be true but it’s not of course. I read it again a couple of years ago and still enjoyed it.

Id also add the three Arthur Griffith’s volumes. I went to a house clearance with a friend a was allowed to choose a book so I chose this set of three (which he allowed). Even though one of the three is smaller than the others I was still happy to get them as I couldn’t have afforded originals at the time. The downside was that I later found out that he had a couple of books on boxing which were super rare and valuable!

‘‘Tis a great tale Stephens book along with the video to accompany it!!

Comment

Indeed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Lol indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Azarna View Post
                  Tom Westcott's "The Bank Holiday Murders: The True Story of the First Whitechapel Murders (Jack the Ripper Book 1)" is one of my favourites.

It is well written, has a "can't put it down" quality that is especially good for a non-fiction book, and covers some aspects of the crimes that are brushed over in other books.
                  Great book. Also his follow up book was equally good. The lodger I have read a couple of times too which I enjoyed.

Comment

"Deconstructing Jack" by Simon Wood (2017), Marywood Books. It's jam-packed with case historical and anecdotal information.

Comment

I have listened to the Audible talking book version of Bruce Robinson's "They All Love Jack" a few times now.

I can't agree with his pet suspect (Michael Maybrick). Although I have no doubt that a lot of what he says about the "powers that be" manipulating many aspects of the JTR (and many another) case has a good kernel of truth to it. Maybrick MIGHT have been JTR. But really only in the same way that thousands of other contemporary men might have been so. He was alive at the right time. May have been in the area at some or all of the right times... but is that it?

There is a mass of background info about other things happening around at the same time (not all are strictly relevant on the JTR case, imho, but it is still interesting). At times it all seems like rather random ramble, but I can't deny that it got me thinking.

At first his swearing seemed to add colour, but later on it started to sound rather childish. As did his obsession with taking cheap shots as "ripperologists" who he clearly assumes are all very similar to each other and all equally stupid. Funnily enough I don't agree with him on that!

So whilst it is a book that annoyed me in places, insulted me in others, rambles off the subject to ridiculous degrees and I just can't get my head around the idea that Michael Maybrick "done it"..... there is so much that I enjoyed hearing about, I have to say it is one of my favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by Azarna View Post
                        I have listened to the Audible talking book version of Bruce Robinson's "They All Love Jack" a few times now.

I can't agree with his pet suspect (Michael Maybrick). Although I have no doubt that a lot of what he says about the "powers that be" manipulating many aspects of the JTR (and many another) case has a good kernel of truth to it. Maybrick MIGHT have been JTR. But really only in the same way that thousands of other contemporary men might have been so. He was alive at the right time. May have been in the area at some or all of the right times... but is that it?

There is a mass of background info about other things happening around at the same time (not all are strictly relevant on the JTR case, imho, but it is still interesting). At times it all seems like rather random ramble, but I can't deny that it got me thinking.

At first his swearing seemed to add colour, but later on it started to sound rather childish. As did his obsession with taking cheap shots as "ripperologists" who he clearly assumes are all very similar to each other and all equally stupid. Funnily enough I don't agree with him on that!

So whilst it is a book that annoyed me in places, insulted me in others, rambles off the subject to ridiculous degrees and I just can't get my head around the idea that Michael Maybrick "done it"..... there is so much that I enjoyed hearing about, I have to say it is one of my favourites.
                        Very interested analysis on said book which I may add have not read!! Since the mid 190s I find the whole Maybrick theory a tad tedious and boring just my opinion!! But every book always has positive and negative aspects and commend anyone who puts the time into putting pen to paper!!

Comment

I agree totally with Herlock.
                          one of the first books I read on Jack and memorable and enjoyable all these years later.
                          shame the theory didn’t stand up to scrutiny as does make a cracking story.
                          in the Uk we have a film channel called Talking pictures which shows old movies.
                          recently showed the M Caine mini series which I enjoyed again and keeping a eye out for a film called “
                          A study of terror “ which I have not seen since a child.
                          onna similar subject “ what is your favourite documentary?.
                          I enjoyed the Letchmere one which I thought was well presented and quite detailed .

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                            one of the first books I read on Jack and memorable and enjoyable all these years later.
                            in the Uk we have a film channel called Talking pictures which shows old movies.
                            recently showed the M Caine mini series which I enjoyed again and keeping a eye out for a film called “
                            I enjoyed the Letchmere one which I thought was well presented and quite detailed .
                            I haven’t seen A Study In Terror on tv for ages Paul but its for sale on blu-Ray on Amazon for £6.46. Well worth it. I thought John Neville was a very good Holmes.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                              Have a soft spot for many documentaries some for nostalgia reasons!! The final solution one comes to mind just for The Goulston Street Wenthworth dwellings footage alone!! Secret Identity with Peter Ustinov & Jan Leeming !! Film wise Study In Terror is a 60s Classic!! The lodger again a early film classic!! To many to choose from!!

Comment

Working...
                              X