No announcement yet.

Cutting Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps Tom means that the pages have very sharp edges?

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
      Perhaps Tom means that the pages have very sharp edges?
      Nice one!

Comment

• I hope that the book isn’t booby trapped? Maybe it’s like a tin of Surströmming and when you open it......
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Hi Tom, by "dangerous" do you mean that Christer has made a compelling case for Mr Cross*/Mr Lechmere*?
          No spoilers please!

(* delete where applicable)
          Christer spent many years researching and finessing his theory before daring to put it in book form and ask money for it. He builds his case from source material, not fantasy, and he goes DEEP beyond the facts themselves to show, in his view, what those facts might actually mean. To me, this is Ripperology at its best, and I don't see near enough of it in books these days. I hope that when reviewing and criticizing his work, everyone at least takes a moment to step back and respect the countless hours that went into creating this it. Because it's impressive.

I would like to discuss the work more in depth - the things I liked and the things I don't like or agree with so much. But it seems most have not had the chance to receive or read the book. But at least now I'm in a position where I can intelligently discuss the Lechmere argument. Years ago, I would try to follow the Lechmere threads, but I couldn't. Constant arguing and back and forth and I never really comprehended the 'Mizen Scam' until I read Christer's book, without all the static and noise of a living message board. Now I don't feel quite so stupid on the matter. Christer does a better job than the Missing Evidence documentary did.

The meat of this book is in one long chapter, much of which is spent in Buck's Row. This chapter alone separates this book from other suspect books. I look forward to reading it a second time. I consider it required reading for several reasons.

If you read the opening quarter of Ripper Confidential, which I spend going into what I still believe is the fullest account of the Buck's Row murder, and you then read Christer's book, you'll see key points where we disagree. Nevertheless, while following Christer into Buck's Row, there were moments where I forgot all my own research, my own biases, and I was just along for the ride. Like I was twenty-something again and reading of my first eight Ripper books. That's pretty powerful stuff.

I'm being intentionally vague about much of the contents of the book for the reason already stated - that most have not had a chance to read it. But at some point it might be fun to debate the arguments in the book. Now that I actually understand the pro-Lechmere case, I could do so from a better standing. But for now, I'd just like to congratulate Christer on producing a book that - for better or worse - will become a very influential force in Ripperology for years to come.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• nice talk Tom

i just ordered mine from Amazon US and paid for expedited shipping which was indicated for monday-friday next week. well see, deliveries have been notoriously late here in the states recently, even when you do pay for quicker delivery.

again congrats fish... there was a time when i think only me and fish thought that the ripper and torsoman were probably the same man, and yould get laughed off the boards for even making the suggestion and or pointing out the similarities.

i was initially highly critical of lech as a suspect, but he grew on me. fish made clear and concise arguments and i have personal reasons also. and as Tom once said... you could have worse suspects lol. i now have lech in my top tier of a handful of valid suspects that i think are the least weak.

another reason lech rose in my ranks as a valid suspect is that before i even considered him, i thought torsoman and the ripper were probably the same man, and age wise lech is really the only suspect that fits that bill.

I personally have a few very specific reasons that i think makes lech suspicious and also point to the torsoman and the ripper being the same, points that i dont think get enough attention, so im very interested to see if fish mentions them in the book. i really hope he does.

looking forward to getting this book soon!
            Last edited by Abby Normal; 02-12-2021, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• There was some interesting stuff in the torso section of the book, particularly relating to Pinchin Street. But really the argument for Lechmere as the torso killer was the weaker part of the argument by far. That doesn't take anything away from the book. Just might be a case of biting off more than one can chew. I also had no use for the chapter on psychological profiling. I never find those compelling in ANY book for any suspect, because if profiles could convict, literally every suspect ever would be guilty. I also think Christer should have dialed back his argument regarding the blood evidence and how long Nichols was bleeding. He over kneaded that dough. And he's exactly the second person in history (after Dr. Llewellyn himself) to suggest the abdominal injuries were inflicted to Nichols BEFORE her throat was cut. But it was pure joy following Christer through Buck's Row, and really, what more can you ask of a Ripper book these days? His publisher best get to printing up copies, because I'm sending readers his way right now.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• I just realized I said I wasn't going to get into specifics yet and I did just that in my last post. Rather odd being the only person on the planet to have read a book.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hi Fisherman, will there be Kindle version? I like the Lechmere angle a lot although i dont subscribe to him as my most likely suspect, and actually tried to get my head around the Mizen Scam, so I am really eager to get your book but my eyesight is quite poor so i prefer reading the books on kindle. Is there any timeline for a kindle version?
                  Thank you
                  IchabodCrane

Comment

• Originally posted by IchabodCrane View Post
                    Hi Fisherman, will there be Kindle version? I like the Lechmere angle a lot although i dont subscribe to him as my most likely suspect, and actually tried to get my head around the Mizen Scam, so I am really eager to get your book but my eyesight is quite poor so i prefer reading the books on kindle. Is there any timeline for a kindle version?
                    Thank you
                    IchabodCrane
                    I have been asked the same question on the other site, and I´m afraid the answer is that no such version is in the pipeline. Timaios Press, my publisher, only deal in hardback and paperback books, and so that is where we are at.

Comment

• I’ve just checked Amazon and my copy hasn’t been dispatched yet. It’s scheduled to arrive between Feb 20th and March 6th. I wonder if Fish and his publisher have gone a little overboard with the publicity so that it will be delivered by a bloke on a horse and cart
                      Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 02-13-2021, 10:54 AM.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• My Amazon says ready for delivery in 1-2 months... can't wait! They say anticipation is the greatest joy

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                          I’ve just checked Amazon and my copy hasn’t been dispatched yet. It’s scheduled to arrive between Feb 20th and March 6th. I wonder if Fish and his publisher have gone a little overboard with the publicity so that it will be delivered by a bloke on a horse and cart
                          If so, run for it, Herlock!

Comment

• Originally posted by IchabodCrane View Post
                            My Amazon says ready for delivery in 1-2 months... can't wait! They say anticipation is the greatest joy
                            Do you live in the middle of the Amazon Forrest Ichabod?
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                              I’ve just checked Amazon and my copy hasn’t been dispatched yet. It’s scheduled to arrive between Feb 20th and March 6th. I wonder if Fish and his publisher have gone a little overboard with the publicity so that it will be delivered by a bloke on a horse and cart
                              Yep, My order has the same e.t.a!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

I have been asked the same question on the other site, and I´m afraid the answer is that no such version is in the pipeline. Timaios Press, my publisher, only deal in hardback and paperback books, and so that is where we are at.
                                That means you own the digital rights to the book and can put your own out. Financially, it would be a good idea to do so.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X