A New Ripper Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
    So the letters were written by a 'Enterprising newspaper man' .....now that is original.....
    Bear in mind, Rich, that not everyone who'd have tuned into that programme would have known much about the case. Indeed, I'd guess there are a fair few who didn't even know that Dear Boss existed at all and, of those who do, there's a great chunk of people who think that Jack himself, or Sickert, wrote it!
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• I agree with you Caz.

Separately, as an ex-miner - Kelvin McKenzie, what a ********, ***t

Regards

Comment

• Hello Sam.
        I take your point, this information might be new to infact, the vast majority of the viewing public.
        But as no mention of any candidate as a suspect for the murders were mentioned, it might leave the vast majority of the viewing public, going to bed last night with a man called Best as a suspect, and that would be even worse then the Duke of Clarence rubbish, and a insult to .Ripperology.
        Regards Richard.

Comment

• Thanks Philip,
          I was somehow under the impression that last nights programme, was the first of six , subjecting Jack the Ripper.
          Obviously not, so that was it??
          I have some praise, in bringing out the name of Best , and The Star newspaper, into the media, as it should be , but I would be feeling rather confused if I was a newbie to the case.
          Regards Richard.

Comment

• Pirate, thanks for the link but the program has restricted viewing "for UK audiences only".
            Seems like it would have been smarter to show it simultaneously in UK & US, doesn't it?

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
            Archaic - Mr Cook has been invoiced. Nothing else to add at this stage! PHILIP
            I'm wondering if Philip's careful phrase
            "Mr. Cook has been invoiced"
            is a euphemism for
            "I sent him a dead fish wrapped in newspaper",
            but I'm too polite to ask.

Best Regards, Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
              Pirate, thanks for the link but the program has restricted viewing "for UK audiences only".
              Seems like it would have been smarter to show it simultaneously in UK & US, doesn't it?
              Someone on jtrforums.com going by the name of String has uploaded copies to a website:

Comment

• I just watched the herbert.
                I must say I found it very 'gay'. I kept expecting someone to do some camping in a bright little cottage somewhere.
                I absolve Stewart from my impression.

Comment

• Lightbulb Moment...

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                  I was actually in a hypnotic trance induced by the reflection of a flickering candle in the glass filter over the camera lens. I was also cold, uncomfortable, p*ss*d off...
                  Hey, Stewart, I have an idea...

Do you know if anyone has written a Jack the Ripper book in which
                  the culprit kills from within some weird hypnotic trance?

... ...

... Is it OK if I write it?

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

... ...
                    Best regards, Archaic
                    Be my guest...
                    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• That puts me in mind of those films where someone is brainwashed and then triggered into committing a crime by a code word. There was a book - not involving hypnosis - but which suggested Jack was triggered by the word "dear" as spoken by a prostitute. This apparently evoked memories of "deer" and "dressing deer." It may have been one of the "Prince Eddie as Jack" books.

Whoever the suspect was, I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere near him whenever he started writing a letter.

Comment

... ...

Best regards, Archaic
                        That was the premise of the two JtR fictional Time Scout books. (Ripping Time/The House that Jack Built) The killings were masterminded by Eddy's lover to cover up his indescretions. He used hypnosis to enlist James Maybrick to help with the actual killings. It had a little something for everyone. :-)

Comment

• John,

It had a little something for everyone.

Off your brief description I would say it has nothing for me except possible dyspepsia. But that is the problem with so much Ripper fiction: time-travel, hypnosis, dreams, comas and other gimmickry that intrudes upon the story. Of course with too much of Ripper fiction this is because there is no story there.

Don.
                          "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            That puts me in mind of those films where someone is brainwashed and then triggered into committing a crime by a code word. There was a book - not involving hypnosis - but which suggested Jack was triggered by the word "dear" as spoken by a prostitute. This apparently evoked memories of "deer" and "dressing deer."
                            Thanks, dear... good to know.

>> OK, guys, now I'm wondering which book has combined more way-out, hare-brained, wacky theories than any other???

Because apparently that's the bar I have to aim for.

Archaic

Comment

• I suggest "Jack the Ripper, the Giant Lizard from Alpha Centauri. With a foreword by Lord Lucan." I'd advise you to snap it up - just as soon as I've written it.

Comment

• Bigfoot Zombie-Rippers From Outer Space

I have a soft spot for Zombies; any chance we could work them in?

And if a local angle is a good idea, I do live in Sasquatch country...

wait- did I just hear something outside????

Regards, Archaic

Comment

Working...
                                X