No announcement yet.

A New Ripper Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought I would stay out of this until I at least saw a copy of the book, which I received today.

I'm not a document or handwriting expert, and Cook states that more than one was used in the upcoming documentary, but at first blush it doesn't appear to me that Frederick Best's handwriting matches that of the Dear Boss letter. There are some similarities but those might be attributed to the Victorian way of learning how to write in a "style." To be honest, I thought the poet Francis Joseph Thompson's handwriting to be the closest match I have ever seen (not that I'm backing Thompson as the Ripper).

I also note that Cook does not claim to have discovered the interview with Dr. Percy Clark found in the East London Observer, 14 May, 1910. Although there are no footnotes to tell us where he found the article it seems likely that he got it from Stewart Evans and Nick Connell's The Man Who Hunted the Ripper (which is listed in the 5 page bibliography).

Wolf.

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
      Hi - I know at least one person with a copy of the book, which is why I know that Mr Cook is in a lot of trouble.

PHILIP

Your comments are cryptic, but you're clearly not happy with Cook. Does this have something to do with your Dutfield's Yard photo?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Wolf,

Thanks for that. The letter regarding Best, discovered by Cook, is very interesting and worthy of further discussion. However, I don't see that it pertains at all to the Dear Boss letter, for which the Star could not have been sued for (they disavowed it as a fake from the beginning). The Star was sued by John Pizer, so perhaps Best was behind that, and probably did later concoct some of the less significant Ripper letters.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• By hook or by Cook
          I'll nay read 'is damn book
          nor toast 'is success
          in abuse of sex
          so 'ere's a lesson to be learnt
          when you toast 'im...
          make sure both sides are burnt.

Comment

• Hi AP,

And I thought an Andy Cook was someone you live with as long as he only burns his own toast.

Love,

Caz
            X
            Last edited by caz; 05-27-2009, 08:53 PM.
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• REDEMPTION

Jack took the book in his hand
              And recognised his work that night,
              Then began to understand....
              He could claim for copyright.

A Kook

Comment

• A fellow named Cook wrote a book
                but he didn't know what he was in fer
                Lines of prose like hot air blows
                from the likes of Robert Charles Linford

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Nice one, Major Tom

Regards

Ground Control

Comment

• Yes, indeed, the only issue that a dead and slaughtered woman could give would be a copyright issue.
                    I live in hope that the dead might swallow the living, and then spit their fat wallets out... empty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                      Your comments are cryptic, but you're clearly not happy with Cook. Does this have something to do with your Dutfield's Yard photo?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                      Hi Tom. Thankfully, no. It DOES however refer to a copyrighted image used without credit, permission or payment and with his full knowledge of what he was doing. The issue is ongoing and Mr Cook is aware he has got himself into a 'situation'. Things have not been helped by his excuses to me thus far which are bizarre at best and provably untrue for the larger part. His editor is someone I know and she is currently on leave. I'm waiting for her response on her return before I take things further.

PHILIP
                      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
                        I thought I would stay out of this until I at least saw a copy of the book, which I received today.

I'm not a document or handwriting expert, and Cook states that more than one was used in the upcoming documentary, but at first blush it doesn't appear to me that Frederick Best's handwriting matches that of the Dear Boss letter. There are some similarities but those might be attributed to the Victorian way of learning how to write in a "style." To be honest, I thought the poet Francis Joseph Thompson's handwriting to be the closest match I have ever seen (not that I'm backing Thompson as the Ripper).

I also note that Cook does not claim to have discovered the interview with Dr. Percy Clark found in the East London Observer, 14 May, 1910. Although there are no footnotes to tell us where he found the article it seems likely that he got it from Stewart Evans and Nick Connell's The Man Who Hunted the Ripper (which is listed in the 5 page bibliography).

Wolf.
                        “However, a handwriting expert, Elaine Quigley, has compared the handwriting of ‘Dear Boss’ with the handwriting of various journalists and decisively concluded that ‘Dear Boss’ was written by Best. If Quigley is correct then her conclusion is not only very strong support for Best being the author of ‘Dear Boss’, it makes it highly likely that Brunner was referring to ‘Dear Boss’ when he wrote about Best’s attempt to mislead Central News.

Unfortunately, it appears that Elaine Quigley is a graphologist and this will cause some to question the worth of her conclusions.” Begg

Hi Wolf

This is Elaine Quigley’s website. As you may note she is a graphologist who mainly does love and romance. To some extent they may as well have asked Derek Acorah’s opinion, its not really a science.

Pirate

Comment

• How Graphology Applies To Jack the Ripper

Hi, Pirate. I just checked out that graphology link. Very enlightening.

Apparently: ''Graphology offers guidance in understanding interpersonal relationships...''

''And on a lighter note, Graphology can be used as an Entertainment feature at a large event or for an intimate group.''

Well, I'm convinced. That should cover all the bases when it comes to analyzing a Serial Murderer, don't you agree? We'll nab him soon.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• This is how Cook introduces Quigley in the book:

"Both Bulling and Moore's handwriting has been re-tested in 2009 by one of Briatin's leading handwriting experts, Elaine Quigley."
                            (Jack the Ripper, Andrew Cook, Amberly Press, 2009, page 101.)

There is a short example of Best's handwriting (in French) and a short bit of the Dear Boss letter. There is then a comparison of some letters between Best and the DB which purportedly show the similarities between the two. Letters such as T, or I, which show no similarity, are not shown or discussed.

Wolf.

Comment

• I agree with Pirate. Graphology falls far, far short of a science. It is personal opinion and interpretation. Little more. Small matter that the 'Dear Boss' text was NOT in the author's handwriting. The post script was, as was the 'Saucy Jacky' postcard. These are all that should be compared to the handwriting of a 'person of interest'.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hi Guys

I have no problems with someone setting out to make their theory in the best light. Its what most ripper authors do, they have publishers and TV execs to please.

However I find it a little rich for Mr Cook to attack the peddlers of myth in his podcast when he is doing exactly the same thing as every other JtR author, making the case for his theory by presenting the most favorable evidence.

Whether you choose to count all the Whitchapel victims as victims or none, it all boils down to the same thing. So why does Mr Cook think he is any different?

Pirate

Comment

Working...
                                X