No announcement yet.

A New Ripper Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw her first Sam I also would like to know more about the hand writing...surely they should have looked at Bullan, who was also working with the Star and american? P

Comment

• Harry Dam

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
      I saw her first Sam I also would like to know more about the hand writing...surely they should have looked at Bullan, who was also working with the Star and american? P
      Surely you mean Harry Dam?
      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• Odd

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        I thought the oddest thing was that there was (I think) nothing in the documentary to suggest that the canonical five weren't all killed by the same man.
        Another strange difference from the book was that the TV programme suggested that the Leather Apron story was sheer invention, with the suspect being made Jewish in order to pander to anti-semitism, and only the nickname being borrowed from that of "a particularly rough punter". In the book, the line is that the Star was basing its reports on stories picked up from prostitutes by Best and O'Brien.
        There are some very odd inconsistencies indeed, we must discuss some time Chris.
        SPE

Comment

• Yes sorry I do.

Much enjoyed your input SPE, however I could have done with more from you and Don..Yours Jeff

Comment

• Actually

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
            I made some notes on who it featured: ... SPE (who looked terrified) ... Pirate
            I was actually in a hypnotic trance induced by the reflection of a flickering candle in the glass filter over the camera lens. I was also cold, uncomfortable, p*ss*d off...
            SPE

Comment

• You hid it well, Stewart.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                Apart from Dr Kate Williams, who should be on telly more often I think. Purely from an academic perspective, of course...
                Of course, I understand exactly what you are saying

Rob

Comment

• nice to see women are appreciated here...

for their brains.

Cough.
                  babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

• Originally posted by babybird67 View Post
                    for their brains.

Cough.
                    Sorry Baby bird I thought you were laying low? and what happened to Suzi?

I need a favour can you get a copy of the program suzi?

Pirate

Comment

• i am laying low...

although you usually wouldn't be able to tell, as my legs are so short.

I see there is not so much a glass ceiling for women, as a mirror on the ceiling and a glass duvet!
                      babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

• I'm on the IoW with my parents at the moment and although I watched the prog, they no longer have a set-up that allowed me to make a recording. Technology, eh?

It seemed to make out that the DEAR BOSS letter being a hoax was some great revelation, and that the letter castigating Best is in direct reference to said letter when it doesn't actually indicate such a thing.

The graphology was daft. A few letters being similar when so many are not in a time when many people's handwriting looked almost exactly the same due to tutorage in copperplate style is hardly conclusive.

About a minute of SPE and Don combined. Great 'use' of the experts there (though they did give Freyling a fair crack).

The guide on speed in the glasses is called Steve and he works for OLW. Never chatted to him but he seems nice enough in passing greetings. I recognise the other guy too (the one getting too much enjoyment out of his descriptions - the sort that gives us a bad name) but don't know who he is.

Did anyone notice they didn't actually show a single murder spot?

Needless to say, I used some choice words when our Mr Cook finally appeared on screen.

Yet another substanceless programme claiming with some faith that it has the right to slander a dead man. The theory doesn't really say or add anything to our understanding of the case in my opinion.

However, I will concur it looked good.

PHILIP
                        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Well i think Philip sum'd it up...my surprise was what it didnt say, not what it did say, which was very little. I'm still not convinced that they made a sufficiant case that Best wrote the Dear Boss letter. Which appeared to be the main thrust of the program..

However I tally with the programs veiws that JtR didnt write any letters. This just doesnt seem such a big revelation...

An hour wasted when that time could have been used more constructively in my opinion.

Good night all

Pirate Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                            ... though they did give Freyling a fair crack
                            Even there I thought it was a bit disappointing that - judging from his comments on Aaron Kozminski - he didn't seem to know about Anderson's and Swanson's comments.

Comment

• What I found disappointing was that autopsy chappie (a Welshman, too!), having claimed that he'd read the reports of the wounds, went on to say that Annie Chapman was "probably" eviscerated via a single vertical cut to the abdomen. As we now know, from press sources other than the traditional ones, Chapman's abdominal wall was removed in three flaps, with more flesh being excavated from the right hand side than the left. Not that it mattered much in the context of the programme, but it does say something about the extent of the research.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                                Needless to say, I used some choice words when our Mr Cook finally appeared on screen.
                                PHILIP
                                Hi, Philip; I'm just wondering if you ever got the issue of the photograph resolved to your satisfaction? Hope so.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Working...
                                X