A New Ripper Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jane Welland View Post
    that the witnesses may all have been journalists, in fact. Yes, it's all becoming clear. Quality.
    Yes as clear as mud.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
      In padding terms Rob this did set new records...there was some interesting photos in the first half however...
      Nothing I haven't seen before. In fact the Lantern and Slide used at the beginning reminded me of the 'Prince Eddy' program Channel 4 did a couple of years back. Looks like the same Lantern and slides that program used.

Rob

Comment

• same production company...Lion

Comment

• Oddly, there was no mention of the Saucy Jacky at all - unless I missed it after zapping some adverts.

Comment

• No they just concentrated on the 'Dear Boss' which we do know was written by a journalist...the question is which, Best or Bullan? and did they prove that O'connor was responcible just because McKenzie thought he would be today?

Pirate

PS this is great I'm watching two forums at the same time!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
              same production company...Lion
              Ah, that explains it.

Would have been better if they had just repeated 'The Shadow of the Ripper' documentary from around 1988. Covered basically the same ground and was much better. Could have just tact the Best/Dear Boss bit on the end.

Rob

Comment

• Yes they seem to have made up for the fact that the last channel five documentary made so many errors by saying as little as possible this time around...

I cant help wondering if the delay in broadcast was due to some last minute alterations in its claims?

It did not try to argue that the Ripper victims were by different people, a braver director might have given that a stab at least..

Pirate

Comment

• Carry on ladies and gents, the discussion is interesting. Me? I was happily watching the USA beat Spain 2-0 in South Africa,

Don.
                  "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

• I'm thinking of making a programme called "I don't know who did it",just for a change...
                    I love the way the serial killer was brought in as if he were just hanging around Whitechapel whistling a merry little tune while doing the Star crossword,when he spots their phoney news article tying in three seperate murders and goes hey-ho!...I've a few hours to spare....
                    Oh boy!...and what about when Kelvin proved he knew diddly-squat about JTR when he announced Mary Ann Nichols as Marianne Ann Nichols...
                    I connected the name of Best to Best and Gardner!...as I was writing while trying to watch the programme at the same time.
                    Next week,it's the turn of the Turin Shroud....again....
                    ANNA

Comment

• yes the idea that the Star made a few head lines and someone said...I know i'm going to become what they are talking about was a large step in imagination....if this program was anything to go by I'd keep an open veiw on the turin shroud...Px

Comment

• Originally posted by Supe View Post
                        Carry on ladies and gents, the discussion is interesting. Me? I was happily watching the USA beat Spain 2-0 in South Africa,

Don.
                        Nooooo ! the USA BEAT SPAIN? NOW THAT IS STRETCHING THE IMAGINATION

Comment

• Problem was there wasn't anything new in the program, except the Frederick Best stuff which lasted for what 5 minutes in total. Everything else was old news.

Rob

Comment

• The Best/Dear Boss handwriting comparison on acetates was intriguing, I thought, and - from what little I saw - very promising.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                              Problem was there wasn't anything new in the program, except the Frederick Best stuff which lasted for what 5 minutes in total. Everything else was old news.
                              Apart from Dr Kate Williams, who should be on telly more often I think. Purely from an academic perspective, of course...
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• I thought the oddest thing was that there was (I think) nothing in the documentary to suggest that the canonical five weren't all killed by the same man.

Another strange difference from the book was that the TV programme suggested that the Leather Apron story was sheer invention, with the suspect being made Jewish in order to pander to anti-semitism, and only the nickname being borrowed from that of "a particularly rough punter". In the book, the line is that the Star was basing its reports on stories picked up from prostitutes by Best and O'Brien.

Comment

Working...
                                X