Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trevor Marriott:

Of course he would have known who found he body dont be so naive

Then why is it that he claims that HE found it himself? The Daily News, September 2:nd 1888: "It is not true, says Constable Neil, who is a man of nearly 20 years' service, that he was called to the body by two men. He came upon it as he walked, and, flashing his lantern to examine it he was answered by the lights from two other constables at either end of the street."

It is not a question of me being naïve, Trevor - it is one of you missing out on the facts.

You cant keep relying on press reports we know they are at times unsafe. The point is that the issues you raise were not looked upon by the coroner or anyone else for that matter as being contentious and therefore there was no need for clarification. The inquest testimony is quite clear and easily understandable to most.

On day 1 of the inquest, the coroner had no reason to question that Neil had found the body first, since nothing else had been reported. Ponder, if you will WHY this was so, and you may advance one step further towards understanding the whole process.

The inquest testimony is clear to most people, yes - which is why most people realize that Neil was unaware of the carmen on the first inquest day. You really need to ask yourself why Baxter allowed Neil to claim that he had found the body first, if Baxter knew that the carmen had preceded him.

You are looking for things that don't exist

Am I? Such as?

Yes I follow, its a smokescreen you are putting up. Pc Neil was called on the first day because in chronological order part of his evidence should have been heard first he gives evidence of being in the location before Cross and Paul, so nothing sinister there

But he wasnīt in the location before Cross and Paul. Cross came first, Paul came second and Neil third. Surely you know that much...? Neil only THOUGHT he was the first to find the body. He was wrong.

How you can call this a smokescreen is beyond me. There are a lot of other things that many people contest in my theory, but these are accepted facts!

So does all of that prove Cross was the killer, no it doesnt !

Excuse me, Trevor, but I am not saying that it proves he was the killer. I am saying that he was found by a freshly killed victim, that the only source we have for the claim that another man joined him seconds after is Lechmere himself, and that there are many other pointers that speak of a potential guilt on his behalf.
    If it had been a proven thing, we would not be having this - rather odd - discussion.

Well if all made written statements to the police at the time, which were tendered at the inquest, it is clear that the police were not concerned, and neither was the coroner. Are we to believe they were all incompetent and couldn't spot what you have now spotted.

Yes, we are, to an extent. But you must weigh in that when I first spotted this, I had a lot more background knowledge at my disposal than the police had at the stage of inquest day 1.
    -I knew that his routes would arguably take him past the murder spots, whereas Chapman, Stride, Eddowes and Kelly were all still alive at the second day of the inquest.
    -I knew where his mother lived, something the police seemingly never bothered to find out.
    -I knew what a serial killer is normally about, something the police knew little about.

I knew this and more that the police did not know. Plus they were probably much taken in by a man that had TWICE come forward to them, seemingly out of his own free will.

So the police were at a less advantageous position when it comes to being able to hear the alarm bells than I was. But that does not mean that they were not to blame - they WERE, to a large extent, if Lechmere is our man. In such a case, they should have nailed him back then! If Lechmere did it, the police bears responsibility for failing to see through him.

Your reasoning is a common one - how can I be so presumptious as to think that I would have seen something they would have missed. But please look at the 126 years that have passed - NOBODY has commented on the so called Mizen scam other than by saying that it seems there was a confusion. Nobody has seen that what Lechmere said would have been a perfectly shaped, tailormade lie - the exact thing he needed to surpass the police on the murder morning. Not a soul.

So yes, I am the one exception to that rule of missing out. And if I am right - and any consequence analysis will tell you that I most probably am - this material is what brings the man down to a very large extent.

Once we accept that Lechmere lied to Mizen in the exact way Mizen claims he did, we are left with two alternatives only, more or less:

1. He constructed this elaborate lie because he was the killer and needed to pass the police.

2. He constructed this elaborate lie because he wanted to get to job in time.

If the slightly ridiculous alternative number two applies, then all the other things pointing to him are coincidences. If alternative number one applies, then all the bits and pieces fit together to condemn him as the Whitechapel killer.

Nobody out here wants the riddle to be solved, least they do the solving themselves. I would suggest you conform to that rule very much. I am therefore in no way expecting you to agree with me.

I am, however, expecting any unbiased person to do so. The case does not allow for any other attitude. And I have the definitive advantage of not being qualified to say "I solved it!". Michael Connor and Derek Osbourne preceded me in suspecting Lechmere, and Edward Stow was the man who put me on the track. He, if anybody, should take full credit for the case we now have. I pride myself on having made contributions to the case, but primarily on having understood it.

You really should see the documentary, Trevor. With an open mind.

The best,
    Fisherman
    Last edited by Fisherman; 11-15-2014, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
      Does anyone honestly think a documentary on mainstream television is going to objectively examine Crossmere's credentials (or lack thereof) as a Ripper suspect? Of course not. It's all going to be slanted towards proving this seemingly harmless carman was secretly the Whitechapel killer all along. Anything else wouldn't make 'good television'.
      Paul Begg was correct - the piranhas canīt even wait to see the documentary before trying to rip it to pieces. This is a very good example. You practically cry out "Donīt believe it, they are lying and exaggerating!"

... and you havenīt even seen the documentary yet.

The documentary will make a case for Charles Lechmere being the Whitechapel killer, we all know that. Trying to brand it an indecency two days before it airs is to be all the things you claim that the documentary will be yourself: slanted, biased and heavily prejudiced.

You actually need to see it more than many people out here. It answers a number of questions you have put, and it puts an end to speculations you have made.

And thatīs a promise.

Thatīs all I have to say to you at this time. I refuse to discuss a documentary with somebody who criticizes it without having seen a second of it. Thatīs just ludicruous.

The best,
      Fisherman

Comment

• 183 posts, and the documentary is still two days away. Fascinating - and it says a lot.

Fisherman

Comment

• Double post

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            Paul Begg was correct - the piranhas canīt even wait to see the documentary before trying to rip it to pieces. This is a very good example. You practically cry out "Donīt believe it, they are lying and exaggerating!"
            Nope, that's not what I intimated at all, but if I'm totally honest I do worry what effect this documentary will have on the layman if it's effectively skewed in Crossmere's favour. Ripperology needs to spend less time on crackpot theories and more on legitimate leads.

Comment

Nope, that's not what I intimated at all, but if I'm totally honest I do worry what effect this documentary will have on the layman if it's effectively skewed in Crossmere's favour. Ripperology needs to spend less time on crackpot theories and more on legitimate leads.
              If you mean that we should favour men who were found standing by the side of a freshly killed victim over butchers with mental issues who we cannot place even near a murder site, then I agree.

In with the sound suspects, out with the crackpots - Iīm all for that. An admirable post on your behalf, Harry, but DO try and stay away from judging the documentary until youīve seen it. If Lechmere is brought forward as the probable killer in it, then this is promoted by a number of top class experts in their fields; history, legal matters, psychology and so on.

If they say "Yes, this was probably the man", then what weight attaches to your misgivings if you cannot prove them wrong? Maybe they are the ones the layman would be wise to listen to, and not you?

The best,
              Fisherman
              Last edited by Fisherman; 11-15-2014, 10:00 AM.

Comment

... and you havenīt even seen the documentary yet.

The documentary will make a case for Charles Lechmere being the Whitechapel killer, we all know that. Trying to brand it an indecency two days before it airs is to be all the things you claim that the documentary will be yourself: slanted, biased and heavily prejudiced.

You actually need to see it more than many people out here. It answers a number of questions you have put, and it puts an end to speculations you have made.

And thatīs a promise.

Thatīs all I have to say to you at this time. I refuse to discuss a documentary with somebody who criticizes it without having seen a second of it. Thatīs just ludicruous.

The best,
                Fisherman
                What can the documentary bring to the table which we are not already aware of. People make up their minds based on what is put before them and what they are able to find out, and of course the facts.

As you say this theory has been done to death and the conclusion that the majority have come to is that this is nothing more than a wild speculative theory.

Now you can butter it up by adding a couple of experts who probably do not know the full facts surrounding the case but its not going to change.

Are you prepared to comment on the two different persons both name Cross ? who were both around at the same time it would seem.

Comment

If you mean that we should favour men who were found standing by the side of a freshly killed victim over butchers with mental issues who we cannot place even near a murder site, then I agree.

In with the sound suspects, out with the crackpots - Iīm all for that. An admirable post on your behalf, Harry, but DO try and stay away from judging the documentary until youīve seen it. If Lechmere is brought forward as the probable killer in it, then this is promoted by a number of top class experts in their fields; history, legal matters, psychology and so on.

If they say "Yes, this was probably the man", then what weight attaches to your misgivings if you cannot prove them wrong? Maybe they are the ones the layman would be wise to listen to, and not you?

The best,
                  Fisherman
                  Probably is a long way from being conclusive. I suspect that is what we shall see experts saying just that "probably"

Comment

• Trevor,

With all due respect, you produced a documentary that is still out there gathering attention and causing comment yet you disavowed the theory in it not long after you produced it. So even you don't claim Feigenbaum as the Ripper any more. Nothing wrong with a person changing his mind. I do so all the time. But Ed and Fish have been on the Lechmere trail for some years now, and if nothing else, nobody can accuse them of 'fast bucking' it with a wink with a theory they don't believe in.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                      Trevor,

With all due respect, you produced a documentary that is still out there gathering attention and causing comment yet you disavowed the theory in it not long after you produced it. So even you don't claim Feigenbaum as the Ripper any more. Nothing wrong with a person changing his mind. I do so all the time. But Ed and Fish have been on the Lechmere trail for some years now, and if nothing else, nobody can accuse them of 'fast bucking' it with a wink with a theory they don't believe in.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                      I am not suggesting they are fast bucking it. I am commenting on the facts as we know them, and as we have interpreted them in relation to the theory they put forward, and that theory does not stand up to close scrutiny.

So I wonder if all on here who have been back patting this week will turn into smiling assassins next week after its airing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                        I am not suggesting they are fast bucking it. I am commenting on the facts as we know them, and as we have interpreted them in relation to the theory they put forward, and that theory does not stand up to close scrutiny.
                        I'm not sure the idea of Cross as Ripper has enough to it to really call it a theory. But I envy Fish and Stow's conviction that they know who the Ripper is.

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott
                        So I wonder if all on here who have been back patting this week will turn into smiling assassins next week after its airing.
                        I think if they had just come out of the woodwork with the doc and nobody knew who they were that there would be quite a bit of piranha action for a day or two. But since we already know their stance and their arguments, I think if the doc is entertaining and maybe shows us some new stuff on Lechmere they'll get off without any bites. As I've said before, I don't expect much more than to be entertained. If that happens, I'm all good. If I learn something new then it's a plus.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

You do a grand disservice to the Iansons et al. and the fine work they did in unearthing a very plausible suspect. A suspect who had the skill, who died around the right time, who can be linked to the Butcher's Row suspect, was related to an "evasive" witness, and had another relation who lived near to the GSG/apron.

What does Crossmere have going for him? I guess we're about to find out once and for all.

Comment

You do a grand disservice to the Iansons et al. and the fine work they did in unearthing a very plausible suspect. A suspect who had the skill, who died around the right time, who can be linked to the Butcher's Row suspect, was related to an "evasive" witness, and had another relation who lived near to the GSG/apron.

What does Crossmere have going for him? I guess we're about to find out once and for all.
                            Has all of this work by the Ianson's been compiled in one place yet for easy reading? I confess I'm not versed in it at all because I don't like to follow random posts placed in a variety of places. But I would very much like a discursive essay on the subject. Perhaps one already exists and as scattered as I've been this past year I missed it?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tracy knows very well where she has got me on this issue - I have said - and donīt mind saying again - that Jacob Cohen is one of the better suspects to have emerged the last few years.
                              But that does not per se make him a good suspect - he is not, not by any means.

He is a type that some favour (personally I donīt, I think that he would never have been able to pull off the Ripper series), but there is not a shred of evidence pointing in his way.

So better than most, but not good at all.

One may wonder, at any rate, why you think it so appalingly harsh of me not to like Cohen as a suspect, and why you take pity on Tracy for my stance. You donīt hesitate to name the much better suspect Lechmere a crackpot theory (and consequently dubbing me and Edward crackpots) - thatīs quite legitimate, for some odd reason.

I have been out here for a good many years - much, much longer than you have. During that time, I have never seen a single poster express concerns about how an upcoming documentary would be slanted and biased. In that respect, this is a first.

I have my own theory as to what that depends on.

The best,
                              Fisherman

Comment

• Trevor Marriott:
                                What can the documentary bring to the table which we are not already aware of.

The views of experts with no vested interest in the Ripper business, thatīs what. An unbiased verdict as opposed to the utter poppycock that anybody who suggests a suspect that does not belong to the "legitimate" ones is subjected to on these boards.

Are you prepared to comment on the two different persons both name Cross ? who were both around at the same time it would seem.

I am ever so prepared - which is very bad news for you.

There never were two people named Cross in the way you suggest. One was named Lechmere. That man lived in 22 Doveton Street - which interestingly is the same address the witness Cross lived in. He was working for Pickfords as a carman - which interestingly is the same thing as Charles Cross of inquest fame did.

Are you suggesting that your carman of Lambeth Road was the Charles Cross that appeared at the inquest, and that he lived at 22 Doveton Street in early September 1888 - like the carman at the inquest claimed? Because if he said that, then he would be lying since Charles Allen Lechmere moved into 22 Doveton Street in June 1888. Itīs on record.

Maybe he just lied about the address and just happened to pick 22 Doveton Street out of his magic hat? Or did Charles Lechmere, the carman, move out from his dwellings the first week in September, handing it over temporarily to the carman Charles Cross of Lambeth Road?

You are the police, you tell me what this adds up to!

If you are to reason about things like these, there must be some sort of quality in your reasoning. If there isnīt, it will look very bad.

The best,
                                Fisherman
                                Last edited by Fisherman; 11-15-2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X