• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Jeff,

Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
    Guess would be 28 years old..
    Thank you.

PS I thought there was another article where Packer claimed to have seen the man in Commercial Street?
    Commercial Road!

"Between seven and eight o'clock, on Saturday evening last, I was standing with my barrow at the corner of Greenfield-street, Commercial-road, when I saw a man pass by on the opposite side of Greenfield-street, near the watchmaker's shop. I recognized him in a minute as the man I had seen outside my shop on the night when Elizabeth Stride was murdered in Berner-street. It was the man who bought the grapes and gave them to the woman that was afterwards found murdered in the yard. I shall never forget his face, and should know him again amongst a thousand men."

Yours Karsten.

Comment

• Originally posted by S.Brett View Post
      Commercial Road!

"Between seven and eight o'clock, on Saturday evening last, I was standing with my barrow at the corner of Greenfield-street, Commercial-road, when I saw a man pass by on the opposite side of Greenfield-street, near the watchmaker's shop. I recognized him in a minute as the man I had seen outside my shop on the night when Elizabeth Stride was murdered in Berner-street. It was the man who bought the grapes and gave them to the woman that was afterwards found murdered in the yard. I shall never forget his face, and should know him again amongst a thousand men."

Yours Karsten.
      Many thanks Karsten thats the one... Any idea of the Date?

Yours Jeff

Don't tell anyone but we are off to watch the new James Bond Movie...apparently Cat likes his acting

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
        Many thanks Karsten thats the one... Any idea of the Date?
        Saturday, 27 October 1888!

Don't tell anyone but we are off to watch the new James Bond Movie...apparentlabout 30; ht, 5 ft 5 in; comp., fair;y Cat likes his acting
        Have fun!

Please tell Cat, she would probably also like my acting as James Bond. I´m more the kind of Mr. Bean...

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

If the haggard-face man with the violet scarf (PC), having a small fair moustache, dress pepper & salt colour loose jacket, grey cloth cap with peak of same colour (Lawende) and about five feet six inches in height, with short, black, curly hair (Cox) was "Kosminski", could he be the man Schwartz described hair, about 30; ht, 5 ft 5 in; comp.,fair;dark; small brown moustache, full face, broad shouldered; dress, dark jacket and trousers, black cap with peak?

Comment

• Kosminski

Hello Jeff. Thanks.

"Again I draw you back to Mac's list."

Ok, but hopefully, NOT to Ostrog (heh-heh)

"A suspect followed as long and considered to be the murderer by Cox must have been an important suspect... So if it wasn't Kozminski then why isn't another suspect named?"

Of course, there were MANY suspects who were watched. Nor do we have their names.

"Cox and Sagar can't have been describing Druitt, who was dead or Ostrog who was in jail."

I agree. And IF Kosminski were the ONLY other suspect, then by disjunctive syllogism, he would be the one. But there were MANY.

"Yes, yes precisely, that's what Karsten has been arguing ... Why did MacNaughten prefer Druitt, when Swanson and Anderson say he was positively ID'd by the only man who ever had a good look at the murderer and he knew he was identified?

That's because MacNaughten had the original file created by Cox.... And that doesn't mention anything after March 1889... And the ID took place shortly before Kozminski entered Colney Hatch Feb, 1891."

What evidence do we have that Mac was working from Cox's file?

"MacNaughten didn't know about the ID, or what happened after March 1889.'

Apparently, neither did many other top coppers.

"Cox gives quite detailed description of surveillance at a sweater premises. Of a man with short dark curly hair."

Very well. But does this entail the leap to Kosminski?

"He's talking about Kozminski alright...if he isn't where is his suspect?"

He never says. he does not even mention his name. Please don't take this the wrong way, but this story sounds like one of MANY contemporary stories done for self-aggrandisement.

"Scores? I'm not certain about that..but there was another man on the street that was the same age, the same condition and a similar name..David Cohen.. Were they both brought to Lehman police station...was there confusion?"

Possibly "Yes" to both.

"No, my case is primarily on his being named by Swanson...'Kozminski was the suspect.'"

Very well, but this looks VERY like Mac and his first-name-less suspect.

"It is corroborated to an extent by Anderson, MacNaughten, Sims, Griffiths, Abberline, Reid, and of course Cox and Sagar."

But ONLY Mac gives a name--and merely a cognomen at that.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

• when and where

Hello (again) Jeff. Thanks.

"Kozminski was therefore the local nutter."

Well, that would depend on when and where his episodes hit.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Hello Karsten. Thanks.

22?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Good Morning Lynn

I don't want to shift too off topic, however I do think your questions go to the heart of why I now feel Schwartz wasn't the Seaside Home witness and Packer might have known or at least known about Kozminski

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                "A suspect followed as long and considered to be the murderer by Cox must have been an important suspect... So if it wasn't Kozminski then why isn't another suspect named?"

Of course, there were MANY suspects who were watched. Nor do we have their names.
                Of course this is true, however Kozminski was a SIGNIFICANT suspect. He's named by Swanson and Mcnaughton and there now seems little doubt he was Anderson's suspect....the question is why? and that's what we're attempting to figure out.

"Cox and Sagar can't have been describing Druitt, who was dead or Ostrog who was in jail."

I agree. And IF Kosminski were the ONLY other suspect, then by disjunctive syllogism, he would be the one. But there were MANY.
                Again there were many but we can't factor the unknown here and the few odd names mentioned in Ledgers or the odd nutter walking the street are difficult to quantify. I simply state Kozminski was a significant suspect for the reasons I've given.

"Yes, yes precisely, that's what Karsten has been arguing ... Why did MacNaughten prefer Druitt, when Swanson and Anderson say he was positively ID'd by the only man who ever had a good look at the murderer and he knew he was identified?

That's because MacNaughten had the original file created by Cox.... And that doesn't mention anything after March 1889... And the ID took place shortly before Kozminski entered Colney Hatch Feb, 1891."

What evidence do we have that Mac was working from Cox's file?
                I'm simply reasoning that Cox's surveillance must have created a significant amount of paperwork and cost. So a significant suspect...but where is he if he is NOT kozminski... He must have been in that store cupboard of old cases when MAcNAughten wrote his report in 1894?

"MacNaughten didn't know about the ID, or what happened after March 1889.'

Apparently, neither did many other top coppers.
                Ah yes now your asking the right questions!

Why did Aubergine (Aware of the Kozminski story at his old department) go for Chapman. Why did Reid deny they knew the ID of the killer?

Answer: They knew about the suspect and dismissed him

Thats because they new about the suspect unto March 1889.... A suspect that must have been held and released for some reason then followed...A suspect that was never caught red handed.

The only copper who may have known more about Kozminski is Sagar. And Possibly two other senior officers must have known about the costs..Smith and Monroe

"Cox gives quite detailed description of surveillance at a sweater premises. Of a man with short dark curly hair."

Very well. But does this entail the leap to Kosminski?
                I'm saying that much of what Cox says fits with what we now know about Kozminski...And what we don't know raises some interesting possibilities, which is why I believe Karsten is suggesting a small shop belonging to the family in Brick Lane.

"He's talking about Kozminski alright...if he isn't where is his suspect?"

He never says. he does not even mention his name. Please don't take this the wrong way, but this story sounds like one of MANY contemporary stories done for self-aggrandisement.
                The devil is in the details

"Scores? I'm not certain about that..but there was another man on the street that was the same age, the same condition and a similar name..David Cohen.. Were they both brought to Lehman police station...was there confusion?"

Possibly "Yes" to both.
                The similarity between what is know about Cohen and Kozminski is most interesting, they even had the same doctor at County Hatch, Dr Seward

"No, my case is primarily on his being named by Swanson...'Kozminski was the suspect.'"

Very well, but this looks VERY like Mac and his first-name-less suspect.
                This debate has raised for years. Aaron is the only person ever found who makes a credible match for Kozminski. The more we learn about him the better the match seems.

Many credible ripperologists have argued MacNAughten is discussing a different Kozminski. What is unique about Karsten's theory is that he argues that we're looking at the same Kozminski who simply entered two different asylums at different times. Once in March 1889 (A private Asylum) and a second time in Feb 1891 (Colney Hatch)

"It is corroborated to an extent by Anderson, MacNaughten, Sims, Griffiths, Abberline, Reid, and of course Cox and Sagar."

But ONLY Mac gives a name--and merely a cognomen at that.

Cheers.
                LC
                I think it can now be reasoned that MacANughten is talking about the same Kozminski as Swanson and that Anderson is talking about the same suspect.

A significant suspect or as Rob House put it a PRIME SUSPECT

Aaron Kozminski is the only person who could have been that suspect.. But why do many of the comments about the various Policeman in charge seem to disagree?

This is the problem we seek to solve not whether Kozminski was Jack the Ripper or not (This may surprise you but what is being argue here still leaves in doubt that Aaron was the ripper...it would all hinge on an as yet unknown witness)

Personally I'm convinced Aaron Kozminski was the man followed by Cox, a file referenced by MacANughten and later Sims and Griffiths

The same suspect referred to by Anderson and Swanson

'Kozminski was the suspect'

Yours Jeff
                Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 11-05-2015, 02:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  Hello (again) Jeff. Thanks.

"Kozminski was therefore the local nutter."

Well, that would depend on when and where his episodes hit.

Cheers.
                  LC
                  Yeah I'm aware that schizophrenia is an on and off illness... But local gossip doesn't allow for that. If a community has people in it that are odd for any reason, they simply become the local nutter.

If Aaron had lived in this community since a child he would have been known, at least by sight..although I accept that Jewish communities tended to keep themselves to themselves and use there own shops and businesses

Yours Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Hello Karsten. Thanks.

22?

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Good Morning Lynn,

Of course, we do not know if Cox and/or Sagar watched "Kosminski", however, Cox "was on duty in this street for nearly three months" and the suspect, this time, went not in an (private) asylum. In the case of Sagar "and we watched him carefully", "have him removed to a private asylum"...

For months and carefully this suspect seems to have been very important.

So, why not "Kosminski"? For Anderson and Swanson he was the prime suspect/ the murderer, for Macnaghten a "strong suspect" and it is possible that for Cox and Sagar he also was a strong suspect/ prime suspect "a man living in the East End of London was not unlikely to have been connected with the crimes" and "the man they were watching had something to do with the crimes" (Cox)/ ("suspicion fell upon a man, who, without doubt, was the murderer" (Sagar).

Post 109:

I quote:

"Jeff,

City Police on the territory of the MET!

GEORGE JOHNSON, JOHN PHILLIPS, Deception > forgery, 24th November 1890.

A searchable online edition of the Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913.

JOSEPH TRAGHEIM . “I came from the Baltic provinces—I live at 81, Greenfield Street, Commercial Road—I was formerly in business at Rotterdam…”

ROBERT CHILD (City Detective)

“I was watching Tragheim—between October 1st and 17th I saw Tragheim daily, except on Sundays—I saw three or four other persons of the gang who he spoke to; he was then sleeping at 81, Greenfield Street—I did not watch him at all, he made appointments and we kept them—other officers were watching;”

JOHN HARMAN . I am a lithographic printer, of 12, Bacon Street,. Brick Lane

HENRY COX (City Policeman). "On 24th September, in consequence of instructions from Child, I watched in Liverpool Street, and saw the prisoners together—I followed Johnson and another man to Bethnal Green, and lost sight of him in Gibraltar Gardens—I saw him again next day in Liverpool Street with someone else, followed them to Bacon Street, Spitalfields, and lost sight of him—on the 29th I saw Johnson again, and followed him to Mr. Harman's, 12, Bacon Street—I did not wait to see him come out—on September 30th I was watching in Bacon Street, and saw Johnson come there about 1.20; he went into No. 12, and came out about 4.20—I followed him to Shoreditch Station and lost sight of him—while he was there on the 30th I saw Mr. Harman come out to get some food, he was out twenty' minutes or half an hour—I have seen Johnson, Phillips, and Tragheim in company on other occasions in September and October."

ROBERT SAGER (City Police Inspector). "On 22nd October I was keeping observation on 115, Hayter Road, Forest Gate, and when Phillips left I said, "Mr. Phillips, I am an officer, and these are officers here from the City; I am going to arrest you for forging and uttering letters of credit on Drexel and Morgan, of London and other places"—he said, "I have got no letters of credit; I know nothing about them"—I took him to the station."

Tragheim lived 81 Greenfield Street; six doors down: Isaac Abrahams lived 74 Greenfield Street, Matilda Lubnowski, opposite Isaac, 16 Greenfield Street. In October 1890 “other officers (City Police) were watching” in Greenfield Street.

Cox and Sagar, City CID, were involved in this case on the territory of the MET police. Cox himself followed to Bethnal Green, Spitalfields, Shoreditch… Bacon Street was at the northern end of Brick Lane.

You see, Jeff, City Police were watching in the Greenfield Street shortly before Aaron Kozminski went to Colney Hatch.

"other officers (of the City Police) were watching" in October 1890 in Greenfield Street...

Karsten."

Post 110:

"Swanson:

"On suspect's return to his brother's house in Whitechapel he was watched by police (City CID) by day & night"

And there is City Police in Greenfield Street. If this "brother´s house in Whitechapel" is Sion Square (Woolf) then it is possible that the City CID also watched Greenfield Street with the homes of Isaac and Matilda... "

Okay...

WHO IS "LEATHER APRON"?

"he is five feet four or five inches in height, and wears a dark, close-fitting cap... His hair is black, and closely clipped... He has a small, black moustache... . In addition to being known as "Leather Apron" he is also known as the "Mad Snob"... is the son of a fairly well-to-do Russian Jew..."

His hair is black, and closely clipped reminds me of Cox who stated:

"The man we suspected was about five feet six inches in height, with short, black, curly hair"

Cox:

"He occupied several shops in the East End, but from time to time he became insane, and was forced to spend a portion of his time in an asylum in Surrey."

Sims/Macnaghten:

"who was the sole occupant of certain premises in Whitechapel after night-fall. This man was in the district during the whole period covered by the Whitechapel murders"

"He was (and I believe still is) detained in a lunatic asylum about March 1889"

"he was removed to a lunatic asylum about March 1889"

He occupied several shops/ The sole occupant of certain premises, maybe, Cox and "Macnaghten" talked about the same man, "Kosminski".

Sims:

"They were both alive long after the horrors had ceased, and though both were in an asylum, there had been a considerable time after the cessation of the Ripper crimes during which they were at liberty and passing about among their fellow men."

this and:

"was forced to spend a portion of his time in an asylum in Surrey"
                    (Cox)

speaks for "Kosminski".

Many ripperologist say the Cox man cannot be Kosminski because Cox stated:

"the shop of the man, the door of his little shop, his own house"

Why not "Kosminski" / Aaron Kozminski?

Imagine that Morris Lubnowski had a little shop (for a short time as well as Woolf Abrahams, Jacob Cohen and Davies) where Aaron Kozminski worked and lived, alone during the night and on weekends and holidays, he might be the man Cox watched.

Harry Cox told that he followed the man to Leman Street (to a shop) and to St George's in the East End. It seems to me that Cox crossed the High Street from north to south towards Leman Street and St George's in the East End (Berner Street/ Providence Street) and then back again (via High Street) "Not far from where the model lodging house stands" . He spoke about the model lodging house just like Swanson spoke about the Seaside Home and I guess Cox meant the George Yard Building (Tabram and not far from the Smith crime scene). It seems to me that this shop was located north of the Whitechapel Road in or near Brick Lane.

Karsten.

Comment

Guess would be 28 years old..
                      22?
                      22 & 28 ?

In September 2011 the man was 38 years old.

Comment

Imagine that Morris Lubnowski had a little shop (for a short time as well as Woolf Abrahams, Jacob Cohen and Davies) where Aaron Kozminski worked and lived, alone during the night and on weekends and holidays, he might be the man Cox watched.
                        Perhaps this was the "Leather Apron" Shop, the shop of "The Mad Snob" with closely clipped black hair... with short, black, curly hair described by Cox...?

Comment

22 & 28 ?

In September 2011 the man was 38 years old.
                          Yep its very difficult to access age in the dark..

Your mates looking good however

Yours Jeff

Comment

Yep its very difficult to access age in the dark..

Your mates looking good however

Yours Jeff
                            She is an eyecatcher! Everyone remembers her...

We should not overstate the witness descriptions. It is difficult. Schwartz could have seen a man, 23 years of age with black curly hair, small moustache, a violet scarf and a cap with peak, dress pepper & salt colour loose jacket. But possibly he could not described the man in detail due to the darkness. He stated age 30, dark hair, small brown moustache, dark jacket and trousers and black cap with peak. But he could have seen the Ripper, the same man Lawende saw. 80:20 for Schwartz, I am still not completely sure.

Comment

She is an eyecatcher! Everyone remembers her...

We should not overstate the witness descriptions. It is difficult. Schwartz could have seen a man, 23 years of age with black curly hair, small moustache, a violet scarf and a cap with peak, dress pepper & salt colour loose jacket. But possibly he could not described the man in detail due to the darkness. He stated age 30, dark hair, small brown moustache, dark jacket and trousers and black cap with peak. But he could have seen the Ripper, the same man Lawende saw. 80:20 for Schwartz, I am still not completely sure.
                              Yeah I think this is the crux of the Schwartz debate for me.

Clearly there was lighting in Berner street it was a comparatively respectable area.. but witnesses describe the ally as very dark. Diemschutz doesn't see the body until he strikes a match.

Schwartz is behind BSM on the whole journey down Berner street and crosses the road when an altercation takes place.. I don't think he sees BSM's face until he turns and shouts 'Lipski' and schwartz sees Pipemen and starts to run..a spilt second

So schwarz fails to ID the suspect because he doesn't have a good view of his face and his description is of the mans back/shoulders

And if I were Abberline looking at a failed ID by Schwartz I'd be sceptical about Andersons and Swanson claim also 1903: ' i know that it has been stated in several quarters that jtr was a man who died in a lunatic asylum a few years ago, but there is nothing at all of a tangible nature to support such a theory'

Note that Aubergine is immediately aware of the lunatic in Asylum theory, which he dismiss, even though he is in-touch with his old department (i am and always have been), and only mentions Druit when pushed by the reporter

In other words Aubergine (bloody auto spell check!!!)is aware of the story around his old department that a lunatic was caged and died shortly afterwards (Leavesdon 1894) and that he does not believe this man to have been Jack the Ripper..

I believe thats because there was also reason to doubt Kozminski...like a failed ID at the time and that Abberline believes this is the ID they are talking about as he leaves in May 1889, long before the Seaside Home ID end 1890.

So everything rests on an unknown witness in Millers Court being found after Abberline is transferred

Yours Jeff

Comment

So everything rests on an unknown witness in Millers Court being found after Abberline is transferred
                                Swanson:

"And after this identification which suspect knew, no other murder of this kind took place in London"

"after the suspect had been identified at the Seaside Home" ... and he knew he was identified

I know it is crazy but everytime when I read these lines I think Swanson talking about two incidents.

The first: 9 November 1888 when the witness had a good view of "Kosminski". And Kosminski knew he was identified and no other murder of this kind took place because "Kosminski" stopped killing woman after he was seen by a witness.

The second: In the second half of 1890 the police had found this witness (by detective-sergeant Happenstance, however...) and an ID took place at the Seaside Home.

The Seaside Home witness? In this case it must have been the Millers Court.

Comment

Working...
                                X