Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doctored Whatsit View Post

Hi George,

No George, Swanson's report is a fact - it is the official statement of the police view of the situation. The newspaper's version does not agree with the police version therefore you cannot claim in all honesty that the journalist is "reporting an event". I wasn't just referring to the ToD. Swanson's official report does not indicate any similarity with the newspaper report. So if I wish to know the official police viewpoint, I go to Swanson, rather than the Echo. Swanson clearly has an open mind on the facts and no decision was made as to witness reliablity - Phillips, Richardson, Cadosch or Long.
    So! I am back from Iceland. Lots of clear and cool air up there.

Now, just to get things correct here. I believe the report in which Swanson spoke about which side was correct was the 19th of October report, not the 19th of September ditto. And in it, it said:

"If the evidence of Dr. Phillips is correct as to time of death, it is difficult to understand how it was that Richardson did not see the body when he went into the yard at 4:45 a.m. but as his clothes were examined, the house searched and his statement taken in which there was not a shred of evidence, suspicion could not rest upon him, although police specially directed their attention to him."

"Up to the present the combined result of those inquiries did not supply the police with the slightest clue to the murderer".
    "Again if the evidence of Mrs. Long is correct that she saw the deceased at 5:30 a.m. then the evidence of Dr. Phillips as to probable time of death is incorrect. He was called and saw the body at 6:20 a.m. [sic] and he then gives it as his opinion that death occurred about two hours earlier, viz: 4:20 a.m. hence the evidence of Mrs. Long which appeared to be so important to the Coroner, must be looked upon with some amount of doubt, which is to be regretted."

As we may see, Swanson clearly takes the stand that Long was wrong and that Phillips was right - the evidence of Mrs Long MUST be looked upon with doubt. Must! No if involved.

We may of course also see that the Home Office agreed with Swanson:

"doubtful evidence points to some thing between 5:30 and 6: - but medical evidence says about 4 o'cl."

The testimony given by Cadosch, Long and Richardson is jointly described as "doubtful", whereas no criticism at all is directed towards Phillips.

In fact, once we look at all the evidence that touces on these matters, it is obvious that much as there are many pointers to how the witnesses were disbelieved, there is no such evidence when it comes to Phillips. Baxter of course buys into the witnesses view, but not by dismissing Phillips. He instead makes a logical summersault and claims that Phillips would have allowed for any time at all on account of the cold conditions Chapman was found it. So he does what coroners and various commission have always done - he tries to come up with scenario that accepts ALL the evidence from BOTH sides. He adjusts as well as he can. We saw it in the Kennedy murder and in the Palme murder commissions respective works.

There is nobody stating that the witnesses will have been correct and Phillips wrong. Instead, there is the Echo report from the 19th, Swansons pointing out that Long MUST be doubted - and the Home Office also goes with Phillips.

The idea that three witnesses cannot all be mistaken or telling porkies is a latter day invention. The sentiment of the day back in 1888 favored Phillips whenever we find that one side is favored.

Of course, it can be said that this was because people were unware of how unreliable victorian doctors were, and had they known, they would never have trusted the experienced police surgeon. Fair enough. But once we look at the realities, we can see that the side that criticizes Phillips has to do a lot of work and rely on unlikelier suggestions.

A body that has been dead for an hour only will normally be quite warm inside the core, in fact retaining the temperature it had an hour ago. Normally, body temperature does not start to fall until after an hour has passed. - and Phillips felt the inside of the abdominal cavity.

A body that has been dead for an hour only will normally not develop rigor, least of all if it lies in cold conditions. And it did in our case.

A body that has been dead for an hour only, allowing for some four hours of digestion, will normally have made a potato disappear long since.

Contrary to this, a body that has been dead for three or four hours will have lost a significant part of its heat, quite likely to a degree where it cannot be discerned on the surface of the body, but where it will remain in the core.

A body that has been dead for three or four hours is liekly to have onsetting rigor.

A body that has been dead for an hour only after having taken in a potato meal, will likely have some little left of that meal in the abdomen.

So much as we have a situation that dovetails with the normal behaviour of a dead body in Chapmans case IF PHILLIPS WAS CORRECT, the ones who think that three (not even mutually corroborating) witnesses must be right are left with speculation. They offer extreme examples of where exotic diseases would have lowered Chapmans body temperature double quick, they offer other strange ailments that would somehow speed up rigor (although they suggest that Chapmans body was much colder than normal and rigor sets in quicker with heat, not chill) and they add a potato here and there to the stomach contents.

As far as I can see, the general sentiment in 1888 was always that Phillips was correct. It is not the other way around.

And the medical implications were all in line with a TOD three or four hours removed. It is not the other way around.

Just thought this needed to be pointed out before I go again.

Oh, and of course: Did the naysayers ever get around to finding an expert that disagreed with Thiblin? No?

Didnīt think so.

Farewell for some time now, Casebook.

Comment

• Richardson had been cleared by the police at the scene on the morning of the murder , so to ask as some have, why would he put himself at the murder scene with a ''knife'', in my opinion is of little relevance ,he could have told them he had a chainsaw, it wouldnt have mattered either way to the police, they knew he wasnt the killer .

Richardson wouldn have known this also . He probably wasnt concerned about what the police might think after being already cleared .
      Last edited by FISHY1118; 09-02-2022, 11:02 AM.
      'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

So! I am back from Iceland. Lots of clear and cool air up there.

Now, just to get things correct here. I believe the report in which Swanson spoke about which side was correct was the 19th of October report, not the 19th of September ditto. And in it, it said:

"If the evidence of Dr. Phillips is correct as to time of death, it is difficult to understand how it was that Richardson did not see the body when he went into the yard at 4:45 a.m. but as his clothes were examined, the house searched and his statement taken in which there was not a shred of evidence, suspicion could not rest upon him, although police specially directed their attention to him."

"Up to the present the combined result of those inquiries did not supply the police with the slightest clue to the murderer".
        "Again if the evidence of Mrs. Long is correct that she saw the deceased at 5:30 a.m. then the evidence of Dr. Phillips as to probable time of death is incorrect. He was called and saw the body at 6:20 a.m. [sic] and he then gives it as his opinion that death occurred about two hours earlier, viz: 4:20 a.m. hence the evidence of Mrs. Long which appeared to be so important to the Coroner, must be looked upon with some amount of doubt, which is to be regretted."

As we may see, Swanson clearly takes the stand that Long was wrong and that Phillips was right - the evidence of Mrs Long MUST be looked upon with doubt. Must! No if involved.

We may of course also see that the Home Office agreed with Swanson:

"doubtful evidence points to some thing between 5:30 and 6: - but medical evidence says about 4 o'cl."

The testimony given by Cadosch, Long and Richardson is jointly described as "doubtful", whereas no criticism at all is directed towards Phillips.

In fact, once we look at all the evidence that touces on these matters, it is obvious that much as there are many pointers to how the witnesses were disbelieved, there is no such evidence when it comes to Phillips. Baxter of course buys into the witnesses view, but not by dismissing Phillips. He instead makes a logical summersault and claims that Phillips would have allowed for any time at all on account of the cold conditions Chapman was found it. So he does what coroners and various commission have always done - he tries to come up with scenario that accepts ALL the evidence from BOTH sides. He adjusts as well as he can. We saw it in the Kennedy murder and in the Palme murder commissions respective works.

There is nobody stating that the witnesses will have been correct and Phillips wrong. Instead, there is the Echo report from the 19th, Swansons pointing out that Long MUST be doubted - and the Home Office also goes with Phillips.

The idea that three witnesses cannot all be mistaken or telling porkies is a latter day invention. The sentiment of the day back in 1888 favored Phillips whenever we find that one side is favored.

Of course, it can be said that this was because people were unware of how unreliable victorian doctors were, and had they known, they would never have trusted the experienced police surgeon. Fair enough. But once we look at the realities, we can see that the side that criticizes Phillips has to do a lot of work and rely on unlikelier suggestions.

A body that has been dead for an hour only will normally be quite warm inside the core, in fact retaining the temperature it had an hour ago. Normally, body temperature does not start to fall until after an hour has passed. - and Phillips felt the inside of the abdominal cavity.

A body that has been dead for an hour only will normally not develop rigor, least of all if it lies in cold conditions. And it did in our case.

A body that has been dead for an hour only, allowing for some four hours of digestion, will normally have made a potato disappear long since.

Contrary to this, a body that has been dead for three or four hours will have lost a significant part of its heat, quite likely to a degree where it cannot be discerned on the surface of the body, but where it will remain in the core.

A body that has been dead for three or four hours is liekly to have onsetting rigor.

A body that has been dead for an hour only after having taken in a potato meal, will likely have some little left of that meal in the abdomen.

So much as we have a situation that dovetails with the normal behaviour of a dead body in Chapmans case IF PHILLIPS WAS CORRECT, the ones who think that three (not even mutually corroborating) witnesses must be right are left with speculation. They offer extreme examples of where exotic diseases would have lowered Chapmans body temperature double quick, they offer other strange ailments that would somehow speed up rigor (although they suggest that Chapmans body was much colder than normal and rigor sets in quicker with heat, not chill) and they add a potato here and there to the stomach contents.

As far as I can see, the general sentiment in 1888 was always that Phillips was correct. It is not the other way around.

And the medical implications were all in line with a TOD three or four hours removed. It is not the other way around.

Just thought this needed to be pointed out before I go again.

Oh, and of course: Did the naysayers ever get around to finding an expert that disagreed with Thiblin? No?

Didnīt think so.

Thanks for that very informative post Fisherman , glad to see you back from your holiday , i think youve summed up the situation perfectly .
        There can be little doubt now that an earlier t.o.d remains firmly on the cards .
        'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

So much as we have a situation that dovetails with the normal behaviour of a dead body
          Was Chapman a 'normal' dead body? No. Would Phillips or Thiblin have dealt with case as extreme as this: probably no.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post

Was Chapman a 'normal' dead body? No. Would Phillips or Thiblin have dealt with case as extreme as this: probably no.
            We have no reason and no evidence telling us that she specifically would have deviated from the normal pattern, so yes, until such evidence surfaces, she should be treated as a normal dead body. Compare, if you will, Eddowes, who suffered just as bad damage - and who remained quite warm and unaffected by rigor after some 40-45 minutes. The way normal bodies do.

Now I really need to go.

Comment

We have no reason and no evidence telling us that she specifically would have deviated from the normal pattern, so yes, until such evidence surfaces, she should be treated as a normal dead body. Compare, if you will, Eddowes, who suffered just as bad damage - and who remained quite warm and unaffected by rigor after some 40-45 minutes. The way normal bodies do.

Now I really need to go.
              we've had this comparison several times from GB and I think I'm right in saying it was dismissed as nonsense by another medical expert. Unfortunately, I cannot point you to the exact comments in this rabbit warren of nonsense.
              Last edited by Aethelwulf; 09-02-2022, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post

we've had this comparison several times from GB and I think I'm right in saying it was dismissed as nonsense by another medical expert. Unfortunately, I cannot point you to the exact comments in this rabbit warren of nonsense.
                Final words: no medical expert can dismiss the comparison as nonsense. Comparing deaths under similar or roughly similar circumstances is the only way to narrow down what is normal and what is not. And bodies cooling off more or less totally, body core included, in an hour whilst developing onsetting rigor in that short time period and circumstances are distinctly abnormal.

Ingemar Thiblin said that he had cut into obese bodies that had been stored in cold conditions for days on end - and they would sometimes still retain some core warmth. Of course, Chapman was not obese - but we are talking about a single hour here. The inference is very clear: for Chapman to have grown cold and developed rigor in one hour, it takes a set of very rare circumstances. For her to do so in three or four hours, it would be par for the course. And to understand these things, the comparison with Eddowes is very apt and informative. Not all like that, but this is Casebook.

Comment

the comparison with Eddowes is very apt and informative.
                  I agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post

I agree.
                    I too also think the comparison with Eddowes is sometimes to easily overlooked and ignored

Comment

• Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post

Yes according to Chandler of course.
                      And even if Richardson hadn’t mentioned the boot to Chandler, which is certainly a possibility, this doesn’t mean that he was lying.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

What is surprising to say the least George is that this report was on the 19th so this ‘re-enactment’ must have occurred on the 18th or even earlier. And yet the Coroner summed at the inquest up at least 8 days later on the 26th and completely ignores this revelation saying:

“She was not in the yard when Richardson was there at 4.50 a.m.”

and…

“It was true that Dr. Phillips thought that when he saw the body at 6.30 the deceased had been dead at least two hours, but he admitted that the coldness of the morning and the great loss of blood might affect his opinion, and if the evidence of the other witnesses was correct, Dr. Phillips had miscalculated the effect of those forces.”

I have to ask if this important information (the re-enactment) was mentioned in any other newspaper? It appears not. The public and The Press were hungry for any snippet of information on the case especially from the Police so why no other mention of it? This wasn’t sensitive information so the Police had no reason to be secretive on this. We also have to ask how a re-enactment at number 29 Hanbury Street could have occurred without any resident, neighbour or member of the public seeing it and mentioning it to anyone (apart from The Echo?) We have no other police officer at any time during or after the murders mentioning any reenactment either.

George, we’re relying on a seemingly isolated Press story here. And did the police really not check if a door could have obstructed a man’s view on their first investigation? The body was found behind the door after all. Are we really to believe that it wasn’t until 10 days after the murder some officer thought “let’s check to see the that door could have blocked his view?” It just doesn’t sound likely to me George.
                        Hi Herlock,

Richardson testified on the 12th, and Phillips on the 13th and the 19th when he was recalled. Richardson was considered a suspect and was thoroughly investigated. I would go as far to say that the police would have been negligent in their duty if they had failed examine the details of his story, and doing is better than talking. The details of the police investigation are lost to us but we have this one report that we know about. For my own purpose I will not entertain the suggestion that the journalist concocted the story. As far as I am concerned it is evidence that cannot just be discarded. Can you give me a reason why the police would not have conducted this simple experiment that puts the question of whether the door could have obstructed his view beyond any doubt?

Cheers, George
                        They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
                        Out of a misty dream
                        Our path emerges for a while, then closes
                        Within a dream.
                        Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

• Originally posted by Dickere View Post

I know you're not supporting that view but I suggest you'd be in a small minority.
                          'Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).' - Mark Twain

"The minority is always in the right. The majority is always in the wrong.“ - Mark Twain
                          Out of a misty dream
                          Within a dream.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctored Whatsit View Post

Hi George,

No George, Swanson's report is a fact - it is the official statement of the police view of the situation. The newspaper's version does not agree with the police version therefore you cannot claim in all honesty that the journalist is "reporting an event". I wasn't just referring to the ToD. Swanson's official report does not indicate any similarity with the newspaper report. So if I wish to know the official police viewpoint, I go to Swanson, rather than the Echo. Swanson clearly has an open mind on the facts and no decision was made as to witness reliablity - Phillips, Richardson, Cadosch or Long.
                            Hi Doc,

I respectfully disagree. The Journalist was in agreement with Swanson. I was going to detail my rationale but Christer beat me too it in a later post.

Cheers, George
                            Out of a misty dream
                            Within a dream.

Comment

Hi Christer,

Glad to hear you enjoyed Iceland. You will be missed by many members.

Cheers, George
                              Out of a misty dream
                              Within a dream.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

And even if Richardson hadn’t mentioned the boot to Chandler, which is certainly a possibility, this doesn’t mean that he was lying.
                                Hi Herlock,

The articles by psychologists that I posted what seems to an eternity ago stated that witnesses often hold strong beliefs as to what they saw or heard, but turn out to be mistaken. The Echo report doesn't suggest that Richardson was lying. It stated that the police had determined as a fact that the door would have obstructed his view. Richardson was simply mistaken in thinking that he could not have missed the body.

Cheers, George
                                Out of a misty dream
                                Within a dream.

Comment

Working...
                                X