John Richardson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post

Richardson could just as easily had one foot in the door way inside and the other foot on the next step ,holding the door open at 45degree angle looking down to check the cellar door lock .
    Which is not what Richardson tells Chandler. Richardson tells him that he was sure the body wasn't there, and so by inference Richardson is saying he could see into the spot where Annie's body was lying.

Comment

• I just realized my side door is perfect for an experiment. When I'm not more pissed than a fart.

Comment

• Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi Herlock,

At 29 Hanbury St, if you were standing in the doorway you were standing on the top step. Look at the photograph on page 1. The middle step is a block of stone sitting on two courses of brickwork. It would have a height of about 15". The bottom step is only about one brick high, about 3", and it appears in the photo that he flagging has been removed, so the bottom step was likely to be only marginally higher than the flagstones. There are not 3 steps below the doorway. Practically speaking, there is only one - the middle step.

Cheers, George
        Hi George,

I was talking about how many steps Richardson would have taken - one step down onto the large middle step - second step down onto the smaller (3”) step - third step from the 3” step to the flags.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Richardson could just as easily had one foot in the door way inside and the other foot on the next step ,holding the door open at 45degree angle looking down to check the cellar door lock . Just as Chandlers mentioned in his testimony.That way he wouldn't have seen the body .

As in thats what Richardson told Chandler ,and perhaps thats how he done it.
          No, he sat on the step to repair his boot, as he said under oath at the inquest.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

No, he sat on the step to repair his boot, as he said under oath at the inquest.
            Yes i thought my post might not be as clear to some , so ive posted parts #450 just to tidy it up .

My recent post was just an example of how Richardson may have acted out what Chandler said he told him, thats all . I think Mac took it that i said Chandler himself said what i described, which i course is not the case.

Joseph Chandler, ''He ''told me'' he did not go down the steps''.

And this part

Coroner , Did you see John Richardson .?

Chandler, ''I saw him about quarter to seven, ''he told me'' he had been to the house that morning about quarter to five .''He said'' he came to the back door and looked down to the cellar to see if it was alright ,and then went away to his work''. By Chandler own testimony his leaving no doubt what he thinks Richardson did that morning ,which regardless how ever way you look at it, lets one accept what Chandler said ''under oath'' equally as what Richardson did!. That is just a fact.

As ive stated before and continue to do so , because of this testimony alone ,we cant judge Richardsons testimony that he sat on the step to cut his boot leather as being a better option, or more likely option , or even correct one , More than what Chandler has suggested. Its just not right to do so in my opinion.
            'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              George.

If you notice, both the early Echo reports claim the body was in a corner between the steps and the fence. It wasn't, the body was beside the fence, but ahead, forward of the steps.
              Likewise, the last example claims the body could have been hidden by the door because the body was behind it, it wasn't behind the door. It was forward of the door.
              Hi John:

Davis:
              There was a little recess on the left. From the steps to the fence is about 3 ft. There are three stone steps, unprotected, leading from the door to the yard, which is at a lower level than that of the passage. Directly I opened the door I saw a woman lying down in the lefthand recess, between the stone steps and the fence.

Looking at Mason's boots I would judge the steps to be about 15", so I'd agree with Fishy's estimate.

Best regards, George
              They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
              Out of a misty dream
              Our path emerges for a while, then closes
              Within a dream.
              Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Where do we read the door rested against his body?

Can't think why they would, it has only been an issue here on Casebook.
                Now then Jon. I didn't suggest that they wrote that the door rested against his body. I suggested the wrote the door was between JR and the body, and that they didn't write that the door was closed and therefore behind him.

The possibility was raised at the time and when JR augmented his story I think it very likely that a journalist might have checked and commented in print as above. JMO.

Best regards, George
                Out of a misty dream
                Within a dream.

Comment

Her head was "level" with the last step ,but not in front of it,.
                  Do you have a quote for that, I was thinking of this.

Phillips said.
                  "...The head was about 6in in front of the level of the bottom step, and the feet were towards a shed at the end of the yard."
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi John:

Davis:
                    There was a little recess on the left. From the steps to the fence is about 3 ft. There are three stone steps, unprotected, leading from the door to the yard, which is at a lower level than that of the passage. Directly I opened the door I saw a woman lying down in the lefthand recess, between the stone steps and the fence.

Looking at Mason's boots I would judge the steps to be about 15", so I'd agree with Fishy's estimate.

Best regards, George
                    You two guys......, tell me, why isn't it just easier to accept what we are told?

I already posted how Phillips described the placement in the Daily Telegraph, now here from the Times.
                    "....The head was about 6in. in front of the level of the bottom step,...."

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Do you have a quote for that, I was thinking of this.

Phillips said.
                      "...The head was about 6in in front of the level of the bottom step, and the feet were towards a shed at the end of the yard."
                      https://www.casebook.org/official_do...t_chapman.html
                      Joseph Chandler, Inspector H Division Metropolitan Police, deposed: On Saturday morning, at ten minutes past six, I was on duty in Commercial-street. At the corner of Hanbury-street I saw several men running. I beckoned to them. One of them said, "Another woman has been murdered." I at once went with him to 29, Hanbury-street, and through the passage into the yard. There was no one in the yard. I saw the body of a woman lying on the ground on her back. Her head was towards the back wall of the house, nearly two feet from the wall, at the bottom of the steps,

So just to be clear, i reasoning that the ''nearly two feet'' from the wall is less than two feet, so taking into account the distance from the back wall to edge of the last step into the yard would be more than two feet , so thereby saying ''at the bottom of the steps'' is probabaly a fairly accurate call from chandler ,more so than in front of them .

FWIW , either way which ever it was and whom one choses to accept as more accurate than the other , i will concede either way if richardson did in fact sit on the step to cut his boot i believe he would stiill have seen chapmans body had she been level with the bottom step or 6 inches infront.

But ''if''.
                      'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

You two guys......, tell me, why isn't it just easier to accept what we are told?

I already posted how Phillips described the placement in the Daily Telegraph, now here from the Times.
                        "....The head was about 6in. in front of the level of the bottom step,...."
                        Shall we agree on this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	rip85-photo5.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	791152

Best regards, George
                        Out of a misty dream
                        Within a dream.

Comment

Yes i thought my post might not be as clear to some , so ive posted parts #450 just to tidy it up .

My recent post was just an example of how Richardson may have acted out what Chandler said he told him, thats all . I think Mac took it that i said Chandler himself said what i described, which i course is not the case.

Joseph Chandler, ''He ''told me'' he did not go down the steps''.

And this part

Coroner , Did you see John Richardson .?

Chandler, ''I saw him about quarter to seven, ''he told me'' he had been to the house that morning about quarter to five .''He said'' he came to the back door and looked down to the cellar to see if it was alright ,and then went away to his work''. By Chandler own testimony his leaving no doubt what he thinks Richardson did that morning ,which regardless how ever way you look at it, lets one accept what Chandler said ''under oath'' equally as what Richardson did!. That is just a fact.

As ive stated before and continue to do so , because of this testimony alone ,we cant judge Richardsons testimony that he sat on the step to cut his boot leather as being a better option, or more likely option , or even correct one , More than what Chandler has suggested. Its just not right to do so in my opinion.
                          The Morning Advertiser, 14 Sept. adds a little more.

In reply to a question from the Jury, Chandler is reported to have said:

"The door opened into the yard and would hide the body from sight unless a person stood on the top of the steps or went into the yard. Richardson only told me that he went to the top of the steps and looked down into the cellar. He said nothing about having sat on the top step."

So, if Richardson said nothing about to Chandler about sitting on the steps, that doesn't mean he didn't.
                          Whereas, in his actual testimony Richardson does say he sat on the steps.
                          This is not a contradiction.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Shall we agree on this?

Click image for larger version  Name:	rip85-photo5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.9 KB ID:	791152

Best regards, George
                            You have the head by the side of the bottom step, why is that?

I already showed it this way.

I dimensioned it for a reason.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

You have the head by the side of the bottom step, why is that?

I already showed it this way.

I dimensioned it for a reason.

Thats a long way in front of that last step tho , Chandlers makes it less than two feet from the back wall , again like alot of testimony which one do we chose to accept.

Comment

The Morning Advertiser, 14 Sept. adds a little more.

In reply to a question from the Jury, Chandler is reported to have said:

"The door opened into the yard and would hide the body from sight unless a person stood on the top of the steps or went into the yard. Richardson only told me that he went to the top of the steps and looked down into the cellar. He said nothing about having sat on the top step."

So, if Richardson said nothing about to Chandler about sitting on the steps, that doesn't mean he didn't.
                                Whereas, in his actual testimony Richardson does say he sat on the steps.
                                This is not a contradiction.
                                Yes however we still have richardson telling chandler what he did on the morning of the murder then adding the boot incident at the inquest . I see a problem with that .For obvious reasons.[to me anyway]

Some have questioned why richardson would make up ,or lie about the boot incident. ''If'' he did, i can certainly think of one very good reason . ill hold onto it for a little longer tho.

Comment

Working...
                                X