Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Nelson
    replied
    No. But the same name, same address, same age, one a "Grocer", the other a "General Shop Keeper" -- probably the same thing, but different people. Cousins?

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post

Yeah, back for more and go ahead, knock yourself out. So what if they all may have looked alike? Post a picture of the Spitalfields-born John McCarthy if you can. He was probably related to McCarthy, Esq. and the one hired to collect the rents, and the one who knew Mary Kelly. After all, that's what this is all about.
    Why would a Spitalfields-born McCarthy ‘probably’ have been related to Esq? Have you traced the Esq genealogy to Spitalfields independently of Esq himself?

Kudos!

Leave a comment:

• Scott Nelson
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    When I get a better copy of the press photo of JM Esq., I reserve the right to post it alongside the sketch of MJK’s landlord to see if there’s any resemblance. Of course, if there is, Scott will no doubt claim that all McCarthies look alike.

Take it away, Scotty…
    Yeah, back for more and go ahead, knock yourself out. So what if they all may have looked alike? Post a picture of the Spitalfields-born John McCarthy if you can. He was probably related to McCarthy, Esq. and the one hired to collect the rents, and the one who knew Mary Kelly. After all, that's what this is all about.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied

‘Steve’ was his stage name. As Dave says, he was born John.
    And he named his son John. There is a photo of all three ‘Jacks’.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Varqm View Post

The newspaper ad I saw was in around 1898.We'll Steve must be John then.
    ‘Steve’ was his stage name. As Dave says, he was born John.

Leave a comment:

• Varqm
    replied
    There is a thread somewhere that says Steve was John. The marriage cert should say it. I do not know who was the esquire.
    The ad said :
    Messrs. Harry Lee and Jack McCarthy, jun.
    will give their
    NINTH GRAND BOXING ...

Tickets can be obtained at "Jack McCarthy,27,Dorset street"...

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    Yep.
    Born 1874.

Leave a comment:

• Varqm
    replied

I don’t follow, V. The genealogy is fairly straightforward: the French-born JM was the father of the music hall performer, Steve. They were both involved in the boxing world. Does that tie in with your understanding of things?

The newspaper ad I saw was in around 1898.We'll Steve must be John then.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Just before I go…

When I get a better copy of the press photo of JM Esq., I reserve the right to post it alongside the sketch of MJK’s landlord to see if there’s any resemblance. Of course, if there is, Scott will no doubt claim that all McCarthies look alike.

Take it away, Scotty…

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    ...so why don't you just let me have the last word on this. Everyone is sick of the bullshit.
    You raised it in the first place. Now you call it bullshit and want the last word?

Be my guest.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Nelson
    replied
    ...so why don't you just let me have the last word on this. Everyone is sick of the bullshit.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Nelson
    replied
    No, somehow I have the feeling the McCarthy at Abberline's retirement didn't actually collect the rents. He had others do that.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    And a landlord he was. A rent collector.
    As was the JM who attended Abberline’s retirement do.

At last!

Leave a comment:

• Scott Nelson
    replied
    And a landlord he was. A rent collector.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Without a land tax record it would be difficult to say. Oh wait! He didn't own the property, did he?
    He didn’t need to to be a landlord.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X