Jack McCarthy speech on Dorset Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    Why stop at 2? There could have been 3,4,5…
    There were three McCarthy families there in 1891. Any one of which could have had a relative, a cousin, etc., collecting rents there in 1888.

Comment

We have the John McCarthy, aged 42, occupation - General Shop Keeper (shop = chandler's ?). Was he the rent collector in 1888?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
        We have the John McCarthy, aged 42, occupation - General Shop Keeper (shop = chandler's ?). Was he the rent collector in 1888?

The rent collector was Thomas Bowyer. MJK’s landlord was Bowyer’s ‘governor’, a grocer who was awarded a prize for collecting for charity. He had been born in Dieppe and was living at 27, Dorset Street in 1881 and was still there in 1901.

Comment

I'm not talking about Bowyer. I'm talking about the guy in the 1891 census at #27 Dorest St. , John McCarthy, aged 42, General Shop Keeper, born Spitalfields.

Comment

I'm not talking about Bowyer. I'm talking about the guy in the 1891 census at #27 Dorest St. , John McCarthy, aged 42, General Shop Keeper, born Spitalfields.
            I know.

But I’m talking about the man who was Bowyer’s employer. Bowyer described himself as his ‘servant’. The press referred to him as a landlord and a grocer, a man who was awarded prizes for his charitable work - the man you describe as a mere ‘rent collector’.

We’ve all spotted the other JM on the 1891 census. Was he there in 1888?

Comment

Without a land tax record it would be difficult to say. Oh wait! He didn't own the property, did he?

Comment

Without a land tax record it would be difficult to say. Oh wait! He didn't own the property, did he?
                He didn’t need to to be a landlord.

Comment

And a landlord he was. A rent collector.

Comment

And a landlord he was. A rent collector.
                    As was the JM who attended Abberline’s retirement do.

At last!

Comment

No, somehow I have the feeling the McCarthy at Abberline's retirement didn't actually collect the rents. He had others do that.

Comment

...so why don't you just let me have the last word on this. Everyone is sick of the bullshit.

Comment

...so why don't you just let me have the last word on this. Everyone is sick of the bullshit.
                          You raised it in the first place. Now you call it bullshit and want the last word?

Be my guest.

Comment

Just before I go…

When I get a better copy of the press photo of JM Esq., I reserve the right to post it alongside the sketch of MJK’s landlord to see if there’s any resemblance. Of course, if there is, Scott will no doubt claim that all McCarthies look alike.

Take it away, Scotty…

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

I don’t follow, V. The genealogy is fairly straightforward: the French-born JM was the father of the music hall performer, Steve. They were both involved in the boxing world. Does that tie in with your understanding of things?

The newspaper ad I saw was in around 1898.We'll Steve must be John then.
                              Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
                              M. Pacana

Comment

Yep.
                                Born 1874.
                                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Working...
                                X