No announcement yet.

Mary Jane Kelly found?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack is the gift that keeps on giving. I wonder just how much money this serial killer from the 19th century has made, and will continue to make, for all kinds of amateur sleuths looking to make a quick buck? At least Dr. Weston-Davies' motive for writing this book has a veneer of respectability.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
      Jack is the gift that keeps on giving. I wonder just how much money this serial killer from the 19th century has made, and will continue to make, for all kinds of amateur sleuths looking to make a quick buck? At least Dr. Weston-Davies' motive for writing this book has a veneer of respectability.
      Hi,
      I have yet to read the book, but I plan to, and having recently listened to the podcast, I have to say well done to Dr West on - Davies. He certainly doesn't deserve the abuse that has been dished out.
      The way I see it is that it's another Angle to the case that is fasinating and worth further investigation.

Regards.

Comment

A Death

I wonder if Mr Weston-Davies checked out this death I found on Ancestry? It was the only one I found that would fit the dates...

Name: Elizabeth Davies
        Estimated birth year: abt 1858
        Registration Year: 1886
        Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
        Age at Death: 28
        Registration district: London City

Pat.....

Comment

finally

Hello Abby.

"[E]vidence and proof aren't the same thing. . ."

Ah! Someone finally got this right.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

standing upon principles

Hello CD.

"I should have added that it is probably because conspiracy theories are so much more interesting than using Occam's razor."

Umm, Principle of Parsimony.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello CD.

"I should have added that it is probably because conspiracy theories are so much more interesting than using Occam's razor."

Cheers.
              LC
              A thought.

What would this Casebook look like if everyone employed Occam's Razor?

Would it have a distinctly "blotchy" look?

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                A thought.

Depends how sharp Occy kept his razor.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

That's och aye's razor.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post

That's och aye's razor.
                    Nice one!

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                      When will people get it into their head that writing a ripper book - good, bad or ugly - is just about the daftest way for anyone to try and make a 'quick' anything? Stacking supermarket shelves on a zero hours contract is arguably more profitable on an hourly rate basis, but nobody ever accuses shelf stackers of looking to make a quick buck, do they?

Even Patricia Cornwell made fewer bucks, and paid out far more in research costs, when venturing into the field with Sickert, than she would have done if she had spent that time writing more of her best-selling novels.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                        A thought.

I think so. I do anyway.

Comment

• Thanks Ozzy, Abby and others who have come to my aid. I'm not deliberately staying away from the forums and I certainly intend to stay engaged in the future, in part it is that there's just so many questions to attempt to answer and,it just so happens, the day job has become extremely busy at the moment. However it s difficult to respond to some correspondents who are just plain abusive. I don't expect everyone to accept my theories or indeed to like the book but there is a simple answer - don't buy it.
                          If there are any particular issues that I can address I'd be happy to try to do so but it's impossible to answer insults that are not accompanied by any specific points or questions.
                          Prosector

Comment

• Wynne, any genealogical thoughts on this 1878 news item, found by Paddy, which mentions Elizabeth?

A bit difficult to snip it up and post it, but if you go to this site and search for "Elizabeth Weston Davies" (in quotes) you'll see it :

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Wynne, any genealogical thoughts on this 1878 news item, found by Paddy, which mentions Elizabeth?

A bit difficult to snip it up and post it, but if you go to this site and search for "Elizabeth Weston Davies" (in quotes) you'll see it :

http://newspapers.library.wales/
                              There is another article in the Welsh papers database that may be of interest but it is in Welsh, also.
                              It has something to do with a death of a woman relative of Edward Davies of Aberangell and John Weston Davies of Gloucester. They are both mentioned in the piece and something about other family members. Apart from that I don't have a clue but the Aberangell mention would suggest it is the same family as the EWD mentioned in Pat's article, and is the correct family going by the mention of Gloucester.
                              Can anyone translate it?

Comment

• And there we go with the ignore maxwell....and Lewis I might add and why? Cos it doesn't fit, it is unfortunate that 'bury you're head and in the sand' is always the answer
                                I, for one, don't ignore Maxwell and Lewis. I did suggest some time back that their sightings were a reason to query Bond's estimate of the time of death, rather than to question the identity of the victim.

A friend of mine who is a master joiner gave the opinion that the external injuries to MJK could have been caused in seconds with a draw knife. I think it was Bond who (as a doctor) said a minimum of two hours to inflict all the injuries. It would be interesting to have the opinion of a butcher on the same issue. If the answer was, for the sake of argument, '20 minutes' then there is no need to discard Maxwell and Lewis as unreliable or mistaken witness (or to postulate that MJK murdered a doppelganger in order to disappear). She could have left London and, if need be, changed her name. Easily done without the need for a substitute victim.
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X