Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long after the carmen left Nichols could Neil have arrived?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The possible route or rather routes, takes up 2 chapters , otherwise I would post the details here.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Is this what you are remembering?

PC Neil's Route - Casebook: Jack the Ripper Forums
      Hi rj,

No, that's not the one I'm thinking of, but it's a good thread that I don't think I've seen. Will have a good read of it though. Thanks.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
        The possible route or rather routes, takes up 2 chapters , otherwise I would post the details here.

Steve
        Hi Steve,

Now that must have taken some time and effort! Well done.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
          Christer prefers one route entering Bucks Row via Thomas Street from the south. There are however other routes for his beat, which may involve him entering from the North, possibly still via Thomas St.

Neil himself does not tell us his exact beat, or if he entered from the North or the South.
          Hi Steve,

Whether that’s still Christer’s preferred route or not, it doesn’t fit with several pieces of evidence. Here’s the route (in dark blue) cutting through the southern part of Thomas Street.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dataurl453867.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	815810

What stands out, of course, is this route doesn’t fit with the route as it’s described in the Echo of September 21 as it doesn’t include the red part.

Also, we see that the dark blue route is about 1.25 km/0.78 miles long. Walked at a speed of 3 miles/4.8 km an hour would only take some 15-16 minutes to cover, which would be about 15 minutes shorter than the approximate 30 minutes that Neil stated it took him to complete his beat.

Then, it also doesn’t fit with something Neil deposed at the inquest. He stated: “A quarter of an hour previously he was in Whitechapel road, where he saw some people apparently going to market, and some women.”

Walking at a speed of 3 m/4.8 km an hour, Neil would have covered about 0.75 m/1.2 km in 15 minutes. So, if we were to count this distance back from the crime spot following the dark blue route, then we’d end up almost at the crime spot again. But nowhere on Whitechapel Road.

So, it’s really quite unlikely, in my veiw, that Neil missed the carmen while taking this route.

All the best,
          Frank
          "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
          Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Originally posted by FrankO View Post
            Hi Steve,

Whether that’s still Christer’s preferred route or not, it doesn’t fit with several pieces of evidence. Here’s the route (in dark blue) cutting through the southern part of Thomas Street.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dataurl453867.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.3 KB ID:	815810

What stands out, of course, is this route doesn’t fit with the route as it’s described in the Echo of September 21 as it doesn’t include the red part.

Also, we see that the dark blue route is about 1.25 km/0.78 miles long. Walked at a speed of 3 miles/4.8 km an hour would only take some 15-16 minutes to cover, which would be about 15 minutes shorter than the approximate 30 minutes that Neil stated it took him to complete his beat.

Then, it also doesn’t fit with something Neil deposed at the inquest. He stated: “A quarter of an hour previously he was in Whitechapel road, where he saw some people apparently going to market, and some women.”

Walking at a speed of 3 m/4.8 km an hour, Neil would have covered about 0.75 m/1.2 km in 15 minutes. So, if we were to count this distance back from the crime spot following the dark blue route, then we’d end up almost at the crime spot again. But nowhere on Whitechapel Road.

So, it’s really quite unlikely, in my veiw, that Neil missed the carmen while taking this route.

All the best,
            Frank
            Agree with you completely Frank, Neil also.said he had gone no further than Bakers Row, which I take to mean that was how far west he went.
            Of course I have been told several times that he probably only went that far very occasionally, cutting out about half of his beat most rounds.

That level of manipulation and speculation, contrary to the evidence of Neil and the Echo is simply too much to be taken seriously.. Look at the option of course, as I have done in IBR, and you have done, then give the reasons, for rejecting it.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X