Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long after the carmen left Nichols could Neil have arrived?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long after the carmen left Nichols could Neil have arrived?

In the wake of another thread, I thought I’d have a closer look at how PC Neil and the carmen could have missed one another and to see if I could come up with a reasonable range of time that Neil would have arrived at Brown’s stables after the carmen had left.

It’s become a long post, but I hope you’ll bear with me.

Before we start we have to turn to the Echo of 21 September 1888, which contains the beat walked by PC Neil on the night of the murder:
    During the month of August, and up to the 8th instant, when Annie Chapman was killed, the following beats were covered by the men of the J Division quartered at Bethnal green, these forming what is known as the "Second Section night duty." The first police constable would commence his two beats at Wilmot street, three Colt land, Cheshire street, Mape street, Bethnal green road, to Wilmot street, and the interior, this consisting of a few streets, courts, passages, &c. The second constable would cover Three Colt lane, Collingwood street, Darling row, Dog row, Whitechapel road, Brady street, to Three Colt lane, and the interior, this consisting of about twenty streets, courts, passages, &c; the third constable would commence at Brady street, cover Whitechapel road, Baker's row, Thomas street, Queen Anne street, and Buck's row, to Brady street, and all the interior, this consisting of about ten streets, courts, passage, &c. The fourth constable would commence at Baker's row, go through Nottingham street, White street, Bethnal Green road, Mape street, London street, to Baker's row, and all the interior, consisting of about thirty streets, courts, passages, &c. The fifth and last man of the section would cover Whitechapel road alone, this making a total of nine beats for the five constables. The third beat was the one within the limit of which Mrs. Nicholl (sic) was murdered. The exterior of the beats are at least a mile in extent, and to this distance must be added the interiors.

How I read the information about the “exteriors” of Neil’s beat as given above is as follows:

​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior of Neil's beat 1544 meters.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	815374

As you can see, this measured about 1.5 km or just under 1 mile, which comes close to the “at least a mile” in Echo article.

Neil’s beat would look like this or something similar:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Neil's beat shorter still - 2217 m.jpg Views:	0 Size:	231.6 KB ID:	815368

Total length around 2.2 km or 1.4 miles. Walked at a speed of 3 miles or 4.8 km per hour, the complete beat would be covered in around 27-28 minutes, which fits with Neil’s evidence. In all fairness, I think the complete beat will probably have been a bit longer, seeing that I covered only 7 out of (about) 10 “interiors”.

Now, let’s turn to how the carmen could have missed Neil and vice versa. If Neil would have turned right into Buck’s Row from Baker’s Row, it would have been very difficult for them not to see each other, so I think we can quite safely exclude that possibility.

Looking at the map above, the first possibility that comes to mind is that Neil would have been in either the northern half of Queen Ann Street or in Elizabeth Place, the little L-shaped alley/court off Queen Ann Street, just north of Cross Street (see blue dots on map below), while Lechmere & Paul were passing Q. Ann Street on Buck’s Row (orange dot).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Schermafbeelding 2023-08-09 211660.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.7 KB ID:	815370

The carmen, coming from the crime spot and walking at a speed of 3.4 miles or 5.5 km per hour, would then have covered 100 meters or 328 feet in 1 minute and 5 seconds.

Let’s say that Neil still had to reach the top of Q. Ann Street and let’s look at the distance Neil still had to cover from the top of Elizabeth Place via the top of Q. Ann Street down to Buck’s Row. That would have been 274 meters or 890 feet. Walking at a speed of 3 miles or 4.8 km per hour, Neil would have covered this distance in 3 minutes and 25 seconds. At that point, Lechmere would already have spoken to Mizen and the latter would already have been on his way to Buck’s Row. Neil would have covered the last 99 meters or 325 feet to where Nichols lay in 1 minute and 14 seconds. So, he would have arrived at the crime spot 5 minutes and 44 seconds after the carmen had left it.

If we assume that the conversation with Mizen including the knocking up at one last house lasted 30 seconds and Mizen also walked at a speed of 3 miles or 4.8 km per hour, then Mizen would have arrived at the crime spot 7 minutes and 30 seconds after the carmen had left it. And, so, there would have been 1 minute and 46 seconds between Neil and Mizen arriving at Brown’s stables.

Now, let’s look at the other possibility: where Neil was about halfway between the entrance to Elizabeht Place and the top of Q. Ann Street and that he still had to reach the top of Q. Ann Street. The distance he had to cover before reaching Buck’s Row would have been 188 meters or 617 feet, which would have taken him 2 minutes and 20 seconds. And then the last 99 meters or 325 feet to the crime spot in 1 minute and 14 seconds. So, this option would have made him arrive 4 minutes and 39 seconds after Lechmere & Paul left Nichols.

OK, these were the slowest possibilities for Queen Ann Street. Now, let’s look at the quicker possibilities, that is: same locations for Neil, but now he’s on his return from the top of Q. Ann Street to Buck’s Row.

From the top of Elizabeth Place back to Q. Ann Street and then a right turn to Buck’s Row would be 102 meters or 335 feet. It would have taken Neil to cover that distance in 1 minute and 16 seconds. In that same amount of time the carmen would have covered 116 meters/381 feet, which would have taken them a few meters around the corner from Buck’s Row into Baker’s Row. And then the last 99 meters/325 feet to Brown’s stables would have taken Neil 1 minute and 14 seconds. So, in this scenario he would have arrived at the crime scene 3 minutes and 35 seconds after the carmen had left it.

Then, from halfway between to top of Queen Ann Street and the entrance to Elizabeth Place down to Buck’s Row would also be 102 meters/335 feet. So, this is completely the same as the scenario above: Neil would have arrived at the crime scene 3 minutes and 35 seconds after the carmen had left it.

Now let’s see what happens if we’d suppose that Neil was a few meters/yards from turning south on Thomas Street when the carmen passed Thomas Street on Buck’s Row (so, there would be 120 meters/130 yards and a fair bit of buildings between them) AND that Neil skipped a large part of Queen Ann Street: he walked on the western side of Thomas Street until he reached Buck’s Row, there he crossed the street and walked up Thomas Street on the eastern side of the street, then turned right into Cross Street and then right, again, into Queen Ann Street until he reached Buck’s Row and there he took a left turn towards Brady Street. See map below. This would be a distance of 246 meters/808 feet, but when Neil reached Buck’s Row on the western side of Thomas Street, he had covered 130 meters/427 feet. He would have covered that distance in 1 minute and 37 seconds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Schermafbeelding 2023-08-09 211659.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.5 KB ID:	815369

The carmen would have covered a distance of 140 meters or 460 feet from the crime spot to Thomas Street. Walking at a speed 3.4 miles or 5.5 km per hour they would have covered that distance in 1 minute and 32 seconds. And then, when Neil reached Buck’s Row 1 minute and 37 seconds later, they would have covered another 148 meters/485 feet and would have almost reached Mizen. Then Neil would still have had to 116 meters/382 feet to reach Buck’s Row from Q. Ann Street. This would have taken him 1 minute and 27 seconds and then the last 99 meters/335 feet in 1 minute and 14 seconds. So, in this scenario Neil would have arrived at Brown’s stables 5 minutes and 50 seconds after the carmen had left there. I see this possibility as less likely as it didn’t include, by far, the bigger part of one of the “exteriors”, Queen Ann Street.

This whole exercise was to get an idea of the various scenarios and how they would work out, based on the walking speeds I used. That does by no means mean that they are the correct ones. So, I have to stress that my intention wasn't to get precise answers, just to get a bit of an idea of what we're talking about.

If you have any comments, let me know.

All the best,
    Frank
    Last edited by FrankO; 08-09-2023, 08:35 PM.
    "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
    Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

The first image should be:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior of Neil's beat 1544 meters.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	815388
    "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."

Comment

Hi FrankO,

Do believe that the range of outcomes that you found has broader implications for the case, or that there are implications for the case that are different if 3:35 is the correct time than if 5:44 is the correct time?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post
        Hi FrankO,

Do believe that the range of outcomes that you found has broader implications for the case, or that there are implications for the case that are different if 3:35 is the correct time than if 5:44 is the correct time?
        Hi Lewis,

I don't really believe that. It was just over on the thread " Charles Lechmere: Prototypical Life of a Serial Killer" that some talked about 2 minutes while others seem to be convinced of 6 minutes, so I thought I'd give it go. What I do believe is that the 5:44 seems quite tight with regards to Thain coming & going, as we shouldn't forget that Mizen couldn't have been right "upon" Neil when Neil signalled him. According to Neil, he saw him "passing in Baker's Row", I believe, which in all likelyhood would actually have been while Mizen had already covered some part of Buck's Row - but still some distance (100+ yards) from Neil.

Cheers,
        Frank

Comment

Originally posted by FrankO View Post
          Hi Lewis,

I don't really believe that. It was just over on the thread " Charles Lechmere: Prototypical Life of a Serial Killer" that some talked about 2 minutes while others seem to be convinced of 6 minutes, so I thought I'd give it go. What I do believe is that the 5:44 seems quite tight with regards to Thain coming & going, as we shouldn't forget that Mizen couldn't have been right "upon" Neil when Neil signalled him. According to Neil, he saw him "passing in Baker's Row", I believe, which in all likelyhood would actually have been while Mizen had already covered some part of Buck's Row - but still some distance (100+ yards) from Neil.

Cheers,
          Frank

Fair enough. Thanks!

Comment

"Knocking up" should be considered in the timing of the PC beats. Huge unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
              "Knocking up" should be considered in the timing of the PC beats. Huge unknown.
              Hi Scott,

Are you referrng to Mizen only or are you suggesting that Neil would also have been 'knocking up' on his beat? And how do you think that would influence what I wrote in the OP?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Lewis,

Cheers,
                Frank

A quickie - you write that ”others seem to be convinced of 6 minutes”, and since I sense that I am ”others” in this context, this is not really true. I am not saing that Neil would have arrived at the site six minutes after Lechmere left it. I am saying that he would have arrived at the site six minutes after 3.45, when Lechmere was alone with the body. Then I have Robert Paul arriving at circa 3.46, whereupon the carmen speak together and then examine the body before they decide to leave the spot. If this took half a minute or a minute altogether, and if we have Neil arriving at the body at 3.51 (six minutes after Lechmere allegedly ”found” the body), then we get a time of around four minutes or four and a half minutes for the time elapsed between the carmen leaving the body and Neil arriving by it.
                I am always working from the idea that Neil entered Bucks Row from Thomas Street and walked towards Brady Street, the way it is laid down in for example the Daily News and the East London Observer, if I remember correctly.
                This is all laid out in detail in Cutting Point. I thought you might like to know, so you get everything as correct as possible.

PS. I am glad to hear that you agree that Neil would not have seen Mizen passing in Bakers Row, but instead only noted him as he had already passed some way down Bucks Row. Neil would have thought that Mizen was in Bakers Row when he saw his colleagues light in the darkness, for the simple reason that he knew that Mizens beat did not extend into Bucks Row. And he was unaware that Mizen had been called upon to go to Bucks Row by the carmen, of whom Neil had no idea of their existance at this stage. Ergo, if he could see his colleagues light, he would presume that he saw Mizen in Bakers Row.

Any answer from your side will go unanswered for a few weeks, but I will check in when I get time.
                Last edited by Fisherman; 08-10-2023, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

A quickie - you write that ”others seem to be convinced of 6 minutes”, and since I sense that I am ”others” in this context, this is not really true. I am not saing that Neil would have arrived at the site six minutes after Lechmere left it. I am saying that he would have arrived at the site six minutes after 3.45, when Lechmere was alone with the body. Then I have Robert Paul arriving at circa 3.46, whereupon the carmen speak together and then examine the body before they decide to leave the spot. If this took half a minute or a minute altogether, and if we have Neil arriving at the body at 3.51 (six minutes after Lechmere allegedly ”found” the body), then we get a time of around four minutes or four and a half minutes for the time elapsed between the carmen leaving the body and Neil arriving by it.
                  Yes, that would indeed be you, Christer – guilty as charged. And I was aware that you weren’t actually talking about ‘6 minutes after the carmen left’, but I thought ‘6 minutes after the carmen examined the body (and possibly lifted her hand from the pavement)’ in your discussion with Doctor Whatsit. I just left out all that because it was easier & shorter. I’m glad you set the record straight, though, as you were actually meaning ‘6 minutes after Lechmere had been alone with the body’.

I am always working from the idea that Neil entered Bucks Row from Thomas Street and walked towards Brady Street, the way it is laid down in for example the Daily News and the East London Observer, if I remember correctly.
                  I’m aware that Thomas Street is mentioned in a number of Neil’s statement versions the way you indicate, but 1) Queen Ann Street was also laid down in Neil’s beat as an “exterior” in the Echo of 21 September and, so, I’d think that this wasn’t a street the beat coppers would skip as easily as one of the “interiors” and 2) Buck’s Row may well just have been defined that way, seeing that many newspapers wrote “Buck’s Row, Thomas Street”, as the part of Buck’s Row west of Thomas Street was once called White’s Row, but it seems to me that the way Buck’s Row was defined remained “Buck’s Row, Thomas Street”. Just as “Maidwell-street, Albany-road”, “Coburg-road, Old Kent-road”, “Osborne-street, Whitechapel-road”, “Ackland-street, Burdett-road”, “Mulberry-street, Commercial-road East”, “Osborn-place, Osborn-street”, “William-street, Cannon-street-road”, “New-road, Commercial-road” and so on.

This is all laid out in detail in Cutting Point. I thought you might like to know, so you get everything as correct as possible.
                  I haven’t read your book (yet), but thanks for explaining how you see it.

PS. I am glad to hear that you agree that Neil would not have seen Mizen passing in Bakers Row, but instead only noted him as he had already passed some way down Bucks Row. Neil would have thought that Mizen was in Bakers Row when he saw his colleagues light in the darkness, for the simple reason that he knew that Mizens beat did not extend into Bucks Row. And he was unaware that Mizen had been called upon to go to Bucks Row by the carmen, of whom Neil had no idea of their existance at this stage. Ergo, if he could see his colleagues light, he would presume that he saw Mizen in Bakers Row.
                  Yes, I agree that he was probably somewhere on his way down Buck’s Row, but not too close to Brown's stables yet, when Neil signalled him, so there’s no need to explain why you believe this or convince me. If you do it for the sake of other readers, then that's another thing.

Comment

If we assume that the conversation with Mizen including the knocking up at one last house lasted 30 seconds and Mizen also walked at a speed of 3 miles or 4.8 km per hour, then Mizen would have arrived at the crime spot 7 minutes and 30 seconds after the carmen had left it. And, so, there would have been 1 minute and 46 seconds between Neil and Mizen arriving at Brown’s stables.
                    Sorry Frank, I skimmed over this part. But my point, as you imply in this instance, is that there may have been other delays and "knocking up" stops that could throw off the timings along beats.

Comment

Sorry Frank, I skimmed over this part. But my point, as you imply in this instance, is that there may have been other delays and "knocking up" stops that could throw off the timings along beats.
                      Thanks for clearing that up for me, Scott. Of course, I can't argue with that. We have to work with what we know/have, but there may well have been some unknowns of this type.

Comment

Hi Scott,

I agree, I find it an odd concept that PC's were automatons sticking rigidly to beat times. The whole point of a beat was to be able to attend to matters as they occurred, a PC not being clockwork is to be expected.
                        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

I am saying that he would have arrived at the site six minutes after 3.45, when Lechmere was alone with the body. Then I have Robert Paul arriving at circa 3.46, whereupon the carmen speak together and then examine the body before they decide to leave the spot..
                          When you begin a point with an unfounded piece of speculation it renders the rest a bit pointless. There’s absolutely nothing to suggest that Cross found the body at 3.45 or a minute or so before that. Three Constable’s gave a time of 3.45 and Paul said that ‘no more than 4 minutes’ had elapsed between him meeting Paul and the two of them meeting Mizen. So the weight of evidence suggests a discovery time of around 3.40. Pulling it closer to 3.45 is a manipulation of the evidence to try and create a gap and to create suspicion against Cross.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Hi Scott,

I agree, I find it an odd concept that PC's were automatons sticking rigidly to beat times. The whole point of a beat was to be able to attend to matters as they occurred, a PC not being clockwork is to be expected.
                            Hi Al,

It's not clear if you think I'm one of those who think PC'S were automatons sticking rigidly to beat times, but if you do, then I'd have to correct you. With all of the above, I've been sticking quite rigidly to the evidence we're left with and to see where that would lead me in the sense of 'where could/would Neil have been when the carmen passed on Buck's Row' and how much time could Neil have arrived at the crime spot after the carmen left'. Having said that, I must say that, in the general sense, I agree with your point.

Cheers,
                            Frank

Comment

In the wake of another thread, I thought I’d have a closer look at how PC Neil and the carmen could have missed one another and to see if I could come up with a reasonable range of time that Neil would have arrived at Brown’s stables after the carmen had left.

It’s become a long post, but I hope you’ll bear with me.

Before we start we have to turn to the Echo of 21 September 1888, which contains the beat walked by PC Neil on the night of the murder:
                              During the month of August, and up to the 8th instant, when Annie Chapman was killed, the following beats were covered by the men of the J Division quartered at Bethnal green, these forming what is known as the "Second Section night duty." The first police constable would commence his two beats at Wilmot street, three Colt land, Cheshire street, Mape street, Bethnal green road, to Wilmot street, and the interior, this consisting of a few streets, courts, passages, &c. The second constable would cover Three Colt lane, Collingwood street, Darling row, Dog row, Whitechapel road, Brady street, to Three Colt lane, and the interior, this consisting of about twenty streets, courts, passages, &c; the third constable would commence at Brady street, cover Whitechapel road, Baker's row, Thomas street, Queen Anne street, and Buck's row, to Brady street, and all the interior, this consisting of about ten streets, courts, passage, &c. The fourth constable would commence at Baker's row, go through Nottingham street, White street, Bethnal Green road, Mape street, London street, to Baker's row, and all the interior, consisting of about thirty streets, courts, passages, &c. The fifth and last man of the section would cover Whitechapel road alone, this making a total of nine beats for the five constables. The third beat was the one within the limit of which Mrs. Nicholl (sic) was murdered. The exterior of the beats are at least a mile in extent, and to this distance must be added the interiors.

How I read the information about the “exteriors” of Neil’s beat as given above is as follows:

​​​Click image for larger version  Name:	Exterior of Neil's beat 1544 meters.jpg Views:	0 Size:	0 ID:	815374

As you can see, this measured about 1.5 km or just under 1 mile, which comes close to the “at least a mile” in Echo article.

Neil’s beat would look like this or something similar:

Click image for larger version Name:	Neil's beat shorter still - 2217 m.jpg Views:	0 Size:	231.6 KB ID:	815368

Total length around 2.2 km or 1.4 miles. Walked at a speed of 3 miles or 4.8 km per hour, the complete beat would be covered in around 27-28 minutes, which fits with Neil’s evidence. In all fairness, I think the complete beat will probably have been a bit longer, seeing that I covered only 7 out of (about) 10 “interiors”.

Now, let’s turn to how the carmen could have missed Neil and vice versa. If Neil would have turned right into Buck’s Row from Baker’s Row, it would have been very difficult for them not to see each other, so I think we can quite safely exclude that possibility.

Looking at the map above, the first possibility that comes to mind is that Neil would have been in either the northern half of Queen Ann Street or in Elizabeth Place, the little L-shaped alley/court off Queen Ann Street, just north of Cross Street (see blue dots on map below), while Lechmere & Paul were passing Q. Ann Street on Buck’s Row (orange dot).

Click image for larger version Name:	Schermafbeelding 2023-08-09 211660.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.7 KB ID:	815370

The carmen, coming from the crime spot and walking at a speed of 3.4 miles or 5.5 km per hour, would then have covered 100 meters or 328 feet in 1 minute and 5 seconds.

Let’s say that Neil still had to reach the top of Q. Ann Street and let’s look at the distance Neil still had to cover from the top of Elizabeth Place via the top of Q. Ann Street down to Buck’s Row. That would have been 274 meters or 890 feet. Walking at a speed of 3 miles or 4.8 km per hour, Neil would have covered this distance in 3 minutes and 25 seconds. At that point, Lechmere would already have spoken to Mizen and the latter would already have been on his way to Buck’s Row. Neil would have covered the last 99 meters or 325 feet to where Nichols lay in 1 minute and 14 seconds. So, he would have arrived at the crime spot 5 minutes and 44 seconds after the carmen had left it.

Now, let’s look at the other possibility: where Neil was about halfway between the entrance to Elizabeht Place and the top of Q. Ann Street and that he still had to reach the top of Q. Ann Street. The distance he had to cover before reaching Buck’s Row would have been 188 meters or 617 feet, which would have taken him 2 minutes and 20 seconds. And then the last 99 meters or 325 feet to the crime spot in 1 minute and 14 seconds. So, this option would have made him arrive 4 minutes and 39 seconds after Lechmere & Paul left Nichols.

OK, these were the slowest possibilities for Queen Ann Street. Now, let’s look at the quicker possibilities, that is: same locations for Neil, but now he’s on his return from the top of Q. Ann Street to Buck’s Row.

From the top of Elizabeth Place back to Q. Ann Street and then a right turn to Buck’s Row would be 102 meters or 335 feet. It would have taken Neil to cover that distance in 1 minute and 16 seconds. In that same amount of time the carmen would have covered 116 meters/381 feet, which would have taken them a few meters around the corner from Buck’s Row into Baker’s Row. And then the last 99 meters/325 feet to Brown’s stables would have taken Neil 1 minute and 14 seconds. So, in this scenario he would have arrived at the crime scene 3 minutes and 35 seconds after the carmen had left it.

Then, from halfway between to top of Queen Ann Street and the entrance to Elizabeth Place down to Buck’s Row would also be 102 meters/335 feet. So, this is completely the same as the scenario above: Neil would have arrived at the crime scene 3 minutes and 35 seconds after the carmen had left it.

Now let’s see what happens if we’d suppose that Neil was a few meters/yards from turning south on Thomas Street when the carmen passed Thomas Street on Buck’s Row (so, there would be 120 meters/130 yards and a fair bit of buildings between them) AND that Neil skipped a large part of Queen Ann Street: he walked on the western side of Thomas Street until he reached Buck’s Row, there he crossed the street and walked up Thomas Street on the eastern side of the street, then turned right into Cross Street and then right, again, into Queen Ann Street until he reached Buck’s Row and there he took a left turn towards Brady Street. See map below. This would be a distance of 246 meters/808 feet, but when Neil reached Buck’s Row on the western side of Thomas Street, he had covered 130 meters/427 feet. He would have covered that distance in 1 minute and 37 seconds.

Click image for larger version Name:	Schermafbeelding 2023-08-09 211659.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.5 KB ID:	815369

The carmen would have covered a distance of 140 meters or 460 feet from the crime spot to Thomas Street. Walking at a speed 3.4 miles or 5.5 km per hour they would have covered that distance in 1 minute and 32 seconds. And then, when Neil reached Buck’s Row 1 minute and 37 seconds later, they would have covered another 148 meters/485 feet and would have almost reached Mizen. Then Neil would still have had to 116 meters/382 feet to reach Buck’s Row from Q. Ann Street. This would have taken him 1 minute and 27 seconds and then the last 99 meters/335 feet in 1 minute and 14 seconds. So, in this scenario Neil would have arrived at Brown’s stables 5 minutes and 50 seconds after the carmen had left there. I see this possibility as less likely as it didn’t include, by far, the bigger part of one of the “exteriors”, Queen Ann Street.

This whole exercise was to get an idea of the various scenarios and how they would work out, based on the walking speeds I used. That does by no means mean that they are the correct ones. So, I have to stress that my intention wasn't to get precise answers, just to get a bit of an idea of what we're talking about.

If you have any comments, let me know.

All the best,
                              Frank
                              Frank, not bad at all, I broadly agree with most of it. I don't believe you have my book, but I could be wrong.
                              Much of your work mirrors what I suggest, as with Jeff, it seems a few of us independently of each other are reaching the same broad conclusions on issues surrounding Bucks Row.

While there are some minor differences in the timings we both suggest, these are explained by varing speeds used and by variation in the distances we each use.( i have rarely got the measuring tool on the NLS site to give exactly the same figures on measurements, i normally do 3 and then average .).

They are however, minor . We are in the same ball park.​

I devote 2 chapters to this question in the Book "Inside Bucks Row"

Looking at the various possibilities for Neil's beat and there are a few, as you touch on yourself. I also look at how fast after the carmen leave could he have arrived.
                              Note that's not when, but the fastest possible time, he may have arrived later.
                              I also use a range of possible walking speeds for both the carmen and Neil.

New work posted a few days ago by Jeff, on likely blood volume are being incorporated into the next update of said book.
                              Such are I believe possibly very significant

Steve
                              Last edited by Elamarna; 08-12-2023, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X