Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was Elizabeth Stride actually killed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
    I mostly agree but there is a small chance he planned a double murder to begin with.

Assuming this is not the case, the initial flight certainly was to escape. At what point this turned into looking for another victim is all conjecture. It could have been before he actually encountered Eddowes. But the time window is tight.
    Flight to escape would have to be broadly west, I think. North would take the killer into the likely approach route of the police. South would take him to the river. East would mean he remained within an 'H' Division on full alert. West onto the City Police area might have seemed the best prospect for successful escape.

Following on from the above (and going slightly off topic) a killer fleeing north-east from Mitre Square was, by contrast, going into what he would surely think of as a high risk area. Perhaps the distance involved was short enough to reduce the risk to an acceptable level.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Whom killed my cereal?

Hello Gareth.

"I don't buy into this "serial killers are special" line. It gets us nowhere."

Amen. In fact, I don't buy into the serial killers line.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

• finish

Hello Colin.

"Why would the killer expect the cart to turn into Dutfields Yard, rather than passing safely by along Berner Street?"

Precisely.

"If the presumptive 'interrupted killer' reacted in this way, doesn't it suggest that he was more than usually familiar with the comings and goings around the IWMEC?"

Perhaps so familiar that he knew when to expect Dimshits. So why begin on Liz if you know you cannot finish?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• Hello Bridewell,

"Why would the killer expect the cart to turn into Dutfields Yard, rather than passing safely by along Berner Street?"

We have no information that the killer expected anything.

The interruption, if that is what it was, may have been caused by the sound of the cart slowing down and turning.
          dustymiller
          aka drstrange

Comment

• The interruption, if that is what it was, may have been caused by the sound of the cart slowing down and turning.

Or it may have just been the sound of a cart in the street "I'd better move just in case."
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Hello Gut,

Correct.

Once the cart past number 34, yard options for it were pretty much limited to the club.
              dustymiller
              aka drstrange

Comment

• G'day drstrange

But even if the street ran for miles, if I was killing someone and heard a vehicle approaching, I would move to where I was least likely to be seen, wouldn't you?
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I must confess I have a great deal of difficulty with the geography and am constantly back and forth to a map.
                  G U T

Comment

• exit strategy

Hello Dusty.

"The interruption, if that is what it was, may have been caused by the sound of the cart slowing down and turning."

But if he had waited so long, how could he exit the yard without notice?

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• G'day Lynn

The only option I can see is that he hid somewhere and then slipped out, after all it is likely that the lighting wasn't great.

He might not have waited that long if he had only just started his "Kill".
                      G U T

Comment

• Hello Lynn,

Without actually being there it's impossible to say definitively, but on paper there seems to be several of opportunities. The police seemed to think so too.

Hiding behind the gate (that's the real reason the pony shied).
                        Crossing the yard.
                        Hiding in the toilets.
                        Hiding in the recess behind Krantz's office.

Then either slipping out when Deimshits went inside or moving with the throng during the general confusion when people like Mrs Mortimer et al. were milling around.
                        dustymiller
                        aka drstrange

Comment

• Hello Lynn,

Sorry I missed this bit,

"But if he had waited so long..."

I'm not convinced the killer did wait long, seems most likely to me it all happened in quick succession.
                          dustymiller
                          aka drstrange

Comment

• G'day drstrange

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                            Hello Lynn,

Without actually being there it's impossible to say definitively, but on paper there seems to be several of opportunities. The police seemed to think so too.

Hiding behind the gate (that's the real reason the pony shied).
                            Crossing the yard.
                            Hiding in the toilets.
                            Hiding in the recess behind Krantz's office.

Then either slipping out when Deimshits went inside or moving with the throng during the general confusion when people like Mrs Mortimer et al. were milling around.
                            I've always thought behind the gate most probably and slip out when no one around/looking.

In the toilet second guess.
                            G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                              "The interruption, if that is what it was, may have been caused by the sound of the cart slowing down and turning."

Indeed and, for that matter, if he had waited that long before he noticed the cart's approach, why didn't he do more damage? I find it inconceivable that he'd only just cut her throat on the "c" of the pony's last "clop" before it entered the yard.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                                Indeed and, for that matter, if he had waited that long before he noticed the cart's approach, why didn't he do more damage? I find it inconceivable that he'd only just cut her throat on the "c" of the pony's last "clop" before it entered the yard.
                                He could have cut her throat and then taken off at any point from the time he was interrupted by Schwartz to the time he heard the last clop of diemshitz pony.
                                "Is all that we see or seem
                                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X