Clear All

thanks

Hello Tom. I think you meant Lynn.

Thanks for sharing. Um, what behaviour?

The best.
    LC

Comment

Anyways

Stride is so far canonical any more votes???
      Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Crap, yes I meant Lynn. Poor DVV, he'll never forgive me.

As for your behavior, most recently I would say how you gave Kat wrong information, knowing it was wrong, simply to get a reaction out of me and disrupt yet another thread.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

wrong thread

Hello Tom. Disrupt the thread? Kat had asked a question about the knife that killed Liz. Perhaps I AM on the wrong thread? I thought it was a Liz Stride thread and who killed her.

My mistake.

The best.
          LC

Comment

200+ views and only 11 votes poor form ripperworld.
            Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
              Yes, but 'the many' seem to agree with me regarding your behavior. I thought I'd be the one to lend a friendly hand in letting you know these things.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
              Hi Tom,

be explicit, and do tell me who you think you represent?
              I did not expect such things tonight, since I was out and just noticed that you've insulted me twice. Why that?
              As you know, I sent you a PM. Not to insult you, but to know what this is about.
              You publicly insulted me twice, please, do explain.

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

Hi DVV,

As you'll see in my and Lynn's posts above, I quoted Lynn but put it under your name. I was thinking of one of your posts at the time. I think that was only my first 'insult' of you, and it was completely unintentional.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I did not vote, but only because you missed out an option....

'We can never be sure'

What Tom is trying to say, is that when choosing Ripper books as research material you need to be extremely careful. I think most people here would agree that 'theory' books should rarely, if ever, be used for research. Many point to facts that are twisted to fit a specific theory, incorrect quotes are common too. Even when taking quotes from newspapers of the time you should always check with other sources.

Stick to reference books on the subject.
                  protohistorian-Where would we be without Stewart Evans or Paul Begg,Kieth Skinner, Martin Fido,or Donald Rumbelow?

Sox-Knee deep in Princes & Painters with Fenian ties who did not mutilate the women at the scene, but waited with baited breath outside the mortuary to carry out their evil plots before rushing home for tea with the wife...who would later poison them of course

Comment

blast it I should have put that option, I was debating if I shoudl but decided not to.Oh well

yours truly
                    Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

yes Tom,
                      as it seems I wasn't the target of posts #45 and #48.
                      I hope "many" are here to discuss honestly and humbly. And that's why I'm posting.
                      Be sure I'm aware of my broken and clumsy English - I mentioned it more than once - and I'm also well aware that there are knowledgeable people here. That's another good reason to post.

Do not care about the "many", Tom, enjoy the Happy Few.

Amitiés,
                      David

ps: agreed with your post 44. But I can be worse.

Comment

Tom's great problem here is that he has long protected and protracted issues on this subject, the poor old chap would simply die if it turned out that Liz Stride was not a victim of the Whitechapel Murderer, for then all his work on Le Grand would come to nought, for it is vital for him to show a connection, as limp and flaccid as it be, between the murder of Stride and the single involvement of Le Grand to the series of murders.
                        He is working to a careful agenda where everything must fit his carefully organised premise that Le Grand murdered Liz Stride, and was hence the Whitechapel Murderer. Everything he says is subject to this premise.
                        It is but worm in bud.

Comment

Many other murders, including some of the "non-canonicals" in the Whitechapel series, involve a cut throat; others, still, entail the victim being killed outdoors; yet more involve the murder of a lone woman after dark. Stride ticks all those boxes, but then so do victims of other murders not ascribed to the Ripper.

Had Stride's throat been more deeply cut, or had there been some indication of an intent to disembowel (if not actual disembowelment), the question might be easier to answer in the affirmative. As it is, there's simply not enough in the manner of Stride's death to firmly indicate that she was.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi AP,

I have myself little doubt that Le Grand was a sexual maniac of a virulent type.

Amitiés,
                            David

Comment

skirting the issue

Hello Sam. And don't forget the skirts and body placement. (snicker!)

The best.
                              LC

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                                Many other murders, including some of the "non-canonicals" in the Whitechapel series, involve a cut throat; others, still, entail the victim being killed outdoors; yet more involve the murder of a lone woman after dark. Stride ticks all those boxes, but then so do victims of other murders not ascribed to the Ripper.

Had Stride's throat been more deeply cut, or had there been some indication of an intent to disembowel (if not actual disembowelment), the question might be easier to answer in the affirmative. As it is, there's simply not enough in the manner of Stride's death to firmly indicate that she was.
                                Agreed, Sam,

but the victimology and the timing tell us that it could be Jack as well, though I can't say it "firmly".

Amitiés,
                                David

Comment

Working...
                                X