No announcement yet.

Did jack kill liz stride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, was the essay in question in the Mammoth Book of JTR? I vaguely remember it. Ripperology desperately needs a new anthology book, edited and published by people who actually know and respect the subject.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by DrPL View Post
      I am intrigued as to whether a Jew would call another Jew "Lipski" given the connotation that the name had (if the murderer was a Jew that is)
      Most certainly he would:
      http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=3260&highlight=lipski

Tom Wescott wrote:
      Ripperology desperately needs a new anthology book, edited and published by people who actually know and respect the subject.

Amen to that. Perhaps Don Souden or Rob Clack or Eduardo Zinna might decide to do that at some later point? It's still too early to prepare a Best of Examiner ;-), but maybe in 4 years (for its big 5 b-day)?
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

• Hello Maria,

Yes, all is well in Knoxville, just filed my FAFSA again so almost done with pre-college activity. School is going well.

I can't wait to see a best of Casebook Examiner, which will be a good'un, after a few more issues though
        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

• Originally posted by corey123 View Post
          Hello Neil,

First of all, who in the world is Washington? Anyway, I wasn't saying his post was uneeded, rather I don't wish the thread to evolve into a thread discussing Isenschid and related theories. The fault lies with no-body.

No worries.
          Corey, I saw the tag for the Quote.Hence Washington. My apologies.
          Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

• Hello Yankee,

Oh no worries. I think that quote is a bit confusing in place.
            Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

• Aside: I have been thinking for some time that, if we all dropped our lengthy signatures, it would save space and avoid confusion. If posters have a sig that they think is pretty nifty, they could just use it once in a while, but not on every post. After the first couple of appearances, I suspect that most of us ignore them anyway.

Comment

• Hello Maurice,

Perhaps, yet that is the first it has created any confusion, but if it is, I will remove it.
                Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

• Further aside: Well, I'd remove it, Corey, were I you; but, carry on if you wish.

One thing though: what does the Stratford-on-Avon tag signify? I've never understood that.

Comment

• Hello Maurice,

It is the name of the story. Writen by Washington Irving, I love it.
                    Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

• OK, thanks. American literature isn't my long suit. I pretty much gave up on it after I read a chapter written by a well-known US author that read, in its entirety: "My mother is a fish." After that, I moved on to British and French authors.

Comment

• I agree with The Grave Maurice about long signatures, but to each his own. I find it particularly disturbing when the actual post is shorter than the signature.
                        I recall SPE having thought that Corey lives in Stratford-on-Avon. :-)
                        The sole signature that I've enjoyed here on casebook was Glenn Andersson's “The Swedes are not the men that will be blamed for nothing.“ What further cracked me up is that, each time Glenn Andersson edited one of his posts, it appeared as “edited by Glenna at 15.45“, so people started asking Andersson if Glenna is his wife or his alter ego (Psycho-like, or Michael Caine in Dress to kill-like). Obviously “Glenna“ referred to “GlennA“ndersson. I've had some chucklefests on this, and still can't decide which is more hilarious, the idea of his wife controlling his posts, or the idea of Andersson having been a cross-dresser multiple-personality-disorder type...
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

• Incidentally, my 'Yours truly, Tom Wescott' isn't a tag. I actually type that in after post. Lame or what?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• And why do you type it each time? So that you can add a P.S. after it, if inclined? You can also choose not to show your signature, if you click on the box below.
                            Since we're into bleeding confessions, I change the color of my signature depending on the weather/season. (Totally lame, kindergarden stuff, I know.) Currently it's grey, as the snow's gone since weeks and it's rainy weather all the way, warm too, and with no snowboarding in sight. :-(
                            Best regards,
                            Maria

Comment

• I'm just not into siggies.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Neither am I. It's kinda pompous.
                                (Maybe I should add something from Shakespeare underneath, to make my point come through.)
                                Best regards,
                                Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X