Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Mitre Square to Goulston Street - Some thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

I am sorry, but there must have been plenty of dark doorways along that route where he could have dropped the apron piece but chose not to do so.

There was no need even to take it with him.

Wentworth Dwellings was not the only building which had dark doorways.

One of our main problems is that we try to understand why the killer did exactly what he did. It is obvious to me the killer discarded the apron in Goulston Street. Why there? Simple answer is we don't know. Only the killer knew why he dropped it there. My guess is that it was the first spot where he felt secure enough and far enough away from the murder scene to remove it from inside his coat and discard it. I can't answer why he didn't discard it elsewhere. But he did discard it in Goulston Street. That much we do know.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerryd View Post

hi Abby.

G. Wentworth Bellsmith

The name used by suspect Henry Wentworth Bellsmith.
      Hi jerryd,

He is one of my persons of interest and, like Abby, I would welcome your views on this suspect.

Cheers, George
      They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
      Out of a misty dream
      Our path emerges for a while, then closes
      Within a dream.
      Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunny Delight View Post

One of our main problems is that we try to understand why the killer did exactly what he did. It is obvious to me the killer discarded the apron in Goulston Street. Why there? Simple answer is we don't know. Only the killer knew why he dropped it there. My guess is that it was the first spot where he felt secure enough and far enough away from the murder scene to remove it from inside his coat and discard it. I can't answer why he didn't discard it elsewhere. But he did discard it in Goulston Street. That much we do know.
        If he had dropped it any where else, we would be asking the same question. Why? And coming up with similar speculation. On the balance of probability and indications from other crimes i.e. a lack of communication I believe the graffiti is a red herring. Though interesting, it has just confused things over the years and allowed for too many wild presumptions to be made, especially when it comes to tying it to particular suspects or agendas.
        Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Exactly. In any case one can never know the reasons for specific actions. There are situational events, idiosyncratic thoughts at rhe moment, etc To delve into the realm of "But why exactly there ...." is to go down rabbit holes. It was there because that is where he was when he felt it appropriate to discard it. That is as far as we can go, and even that might be too far!
          For our interest, it is the matter of when? Meaning did PC Long miss it twice (Trevor's idea is that he did, and maybe even 3 times), or once (as per discarded when leaving the scene) or never (the volt hole).?

- Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi jerryd,

He is one of my persons of interest and, like Abby, I would welcome your views on this suspect.

Cheers, George
            George and Abby.

I will try later tonight to put something up about Bellsmith and how he potentially fits into this thread topic. In the meantime, there is information about him on both forums. Some interesting reading is a book he authored called, Henry Cadavere.(Henry Cadavere: A Study of Life and Work - Henry Wentworth Bellsmith - Google Books​)

Comment

He had no need to cut the apron in two, no need to take a piece with him, no need to take it such a great distance, no need to leave it at the entrance to a building inhabited almost entirely by Jews, and no need to leave it in such a position that a message about Jews and guilt was almost pointing to it.

Comment

He had no need to cut the apron in two, no need to take a piece with him, no need to take it such a great distance, no need to leave it at the entrance to a building inhabited almost entirely by Jews, and no need to leave it in such a position that a message about Jews and guilt was almost pointing to it.
                You don't know that. It's all conjecture.

Comment

You don't know that. It's all conjecture.

It is not conjecture.

It is a statement of fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

Exactly. In any case one can never know the reasons for specific actions. There are situational events, idiosyncratic thoughts at rhe moment, etc To delve into the realm of "But why exactly there ...." is to go down rabbit holes. It was there because that is where he was when he felt it appropriate to discard it. That is as far as we can go, and even that might be too far!
                    For our interest, it is the matter of when? Meaning did PC Long miss it twice (Trevor's idea is that he did, and maybe even 3 times), or once (as per discarded when leaving the scene) or never (the volt hole).?

- Jeff
                    I believe the likeliest explanation is that the killer discarded the apron in Goulston Street whilst fleeing and Long did not see it first time around. That does not mean I see Long as a liar as he testified under oath just that he was genuinely mistaken. That is just my opinion. There could be a myriad of scenarios we could go through in regards the Apron and graffitti and they are plausible too. There are things we can say for certain though- the killer took part of Eddowes apron and discarded it in Goulston Street. Why he took it and why he discarded it in Goulston Street and at what time we just do not know. We can speculate and we can choose our favoured scenario but only the killer knows these answers.

I see the Apron as the only real genuine clue in the whole Ripper series. For me the killer is going home, discards the Apron and continues on the journey. That tells us that this is in all probability a Whitechapel local. Not much to go on mind you.

Comment

It is not conjecture.

It is a statement of fact.
                      No it isn't it is conjecture. Plain and simple. You are declaring you know a killers mind from 135 years ago.

Comment

No it isn't it is conjecture. Plain and simple. You are declaring you know a killers mind from 135 years ago.
                        I am doing no such thing.

I stated that there was no need for him to have done certain things - and that IS a fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

If he had dropped it any where else, we would be asking the same question. Why? And coming up with similar speculation. On the balance of probability and indications from other crimes i.e. a lack of communication I believe the graffiti is a red herring. Though interesting, it has just confused things over the years and allowed for too many wild presumptions to be made, especially when it comes to tying it to particular suspects or agendas.
                          Agreed. It's a red herring. Over the years it has taken on a significance it should never have had. Warren had the right idea in having it scrubbed out. But it will forever remain a bone of contention I am sure because one way or another we can't prove whether or not it was written by the killer.

Comment

I am doing no such thing.

I stated that there was no need for him to have done certain things - and that IS a fact.
                            How do you know there was no need? That is the point. You don't know.

Comment

• Please see my replies below.

Originally posted by Sunny Delight View Post

I believe the likeliest explanation is that the killer discarded the apron in Goulston Street whilst fleeing

There was no need for him to be carrying the apron piece while fleeing and no need for him to discard it either.

and Long did not see it first time around. That does not mean I see Long as a liar as he testified under oath just that he was genuinely mistaken. That is just my opinion.

Long was definite that the apron piece was not there at about 2.20 a.m.

And that was not just his opinion.

There could be a myriad of scenarios we could go through in regards the Apron and graffitti and they are plausible too. There are things we can say for certain though- the killer took part of Eddowes apron and discarded it in Goulston Street. Why he took it and why he discarded it in Goulston Street and at what time we just do not know. We can speculate and we can choose our favoured scenario but only the killer knows these answers.

And I suppose the fact that the building was inhabited by Jews is purely coincidental, as is the fact that the writing about Jews and guilt was practically pointing to a bloodstained article of clothing from the most recent murder.

I see the Apron as the only real genuine clue in the whole Ripper series. For me the killer is going home, discards the Apron and continues on the journey. That tells us that this is in all probability a Whitechapel local. Not much to go on mind you.

It tells us that the murderer lived in Spitalfields.

Comment

I believe the likeliest explanation is that the killer discarded the apron in Goulston Street whilst fleeing and Long did not see it first time around. That does not mean I see Long as a liar as he testified under oath just that he was genuinely mistaken. That is just my opinion. There could be a myriad of scenarios we could go through in regards the Apron and graffitti and they are plausible too. There are things we can say for certain though- the killer took part of Eddowes apron and discarded it in Goulston Street. Why he took it and why he discarded it in Goulston Street and at what time we just do not know. We can speculate and we can choose our favoured scenario but only the killer knows these answers.

Hi Sunny Delight,

I lean towards the same idea, that he dropped it while leaving. I can't completely dismiss the idea he may have first gone home and then came back out to discard the apron as PC Long is quite definite in his statement that it wasn't there. However, if he missed it, he would think that it wasn't there and so could have quite a strong, if mistaken, belief. There's just no way to really tease apart those two possibilities. Given PC Long was doing his first night of patrol on that beat, and didn't know about the backyard of the buildings due to that unfamiliarity, I think there is good reason to consider that he was mistaken. Also, DO Halse stated he passed by the location around the same time PC Long would have (when he missed it), and said he didn't notice the apron at that time but acknowledge he would not necessarily have seen it if it was there. His testimony, of course, fits both with the idea that PC Long missed it and with it not being there at that time. As always, we're left with options.

I'm also not convinced the graffiti was written by JtR, though of course it could have been. To me, though, I'm not sure any theory really falls apart simply due to which of those is true. Any theory which begins with the graffiti having been written by JtR, and then proceeds to build upon that is, in my view, on very shaky ground as the foundation is something that is not reliable. Beyond those, however, any suspect-based theory can easily deal with either situation because a suspect theory can equally handle saying their suspect wrote the graffiti or that they didn't, neither is going to result in any meaningful change in the evaluation of that suspect.

- Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X