No announcement yet.

Who cut Eddowes Apron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trevor, I am not going to allow you to derail any more conversations. This conversation is about the theory that the apron was discarded by Eddowes. If you have nothing relevant to add, in support or opposition, be silent. If you don't have anything productive to add about THE APRON, stay off the thread or I will report you for being off-topic.

Let all Oz be agreed;
    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
      You want evidence of a cabal well we only have to look at the posts in this thread what do we see the three lost souls you,Begg and Monty all so far up each others arses its frightening. One posts something then the other two follow like sheep to keep the pot boiling.
      Three people in general agreement is not evidence of a cabal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post

But Trev would be wrong to say "it couldn`t have been used to transport organs, due to it been wet with blood on one corner", because, of course it still could have, whatever alternative reason he has.
        I said: "Trevor argued", which suggests there were/are alternative views.

Of course, if you flip your line of argument on its head here, then Trevor may be nearer the mark, whatever alternative reason you have; which, really, was my point.

This whole thing started with the 'lunatic fringe' baiting. Personally, I'd prefer to call them doubtful, while acknowleding that I may be wrong in labelling Trevor's theory as such.

Comment

You will have every opportunity of facing me face to face instead of hiding behind your rantings and ravings on here and doing your utmost to not only to discredit my research but my character.

I wont run and hide but I am not going to continue to argue on here on issues that can and will be explained fully in the future.

You want evidence of a cabal well we only have to look at the posts in this thread what do we see the three lost souls you,Begg and Monty all so far up each others arses its frightening. One posts something then the other two follow like sheep to keep the pot boiling.
          What makes you think I wish to engage you in debate at York? Everything is out in the open here for all to see. I have no interest in debating with someone whos grasp of the case does not match their own perception as an 'expert'.

Pointless and futile.

Baaaaa
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post

Of course, if you flip your line of argument on its head here, then Trevor may be nearer the mark, whatever alternative reason you have; which, really, was my point.

This whole thing started with the 'lunatic fringe' baiting. Personally, I'd prefer to call them doubtful, while acknowleding that I may be wrong in labelling Trevor's theory as such.
            Hello FM,

I agree with this. An open approach.

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
            Accountability? ....

Comment

I would call them doubtful if they were capable of advancing a reasoned argument for their case. However, as has been shown here, whenever an attempt to argue is made, they either pull a monkeyshine performance or bluster and bluff and say nothing.

If someone disagrees with the whole of the world, but they can put forth a reasoned debate on the subject, then they are merely a doubter and a questioner. When you see the kind of crap that they pull to avoid answering the simplest of questions, up to and including willfully misrepresenting what someone said and requesting that person face "severe consequences" then it is rightly called the lunatic fringe, in my opinion.

And I disagree that they are being "baited". They are being challenged and wholly failing to meet that challenge, at every possible level.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Just a small question - where did the idea come from that the apron was used to carry away organs?

Comment

Posters are asked to remain on-topic. Thank you.

Comment

You said: "Trevor argued it could not have been used to carry organs", which seems to be ruling out this view, which isn`t very open minded.

Are you saying that Chapman herself may have used her scarf for something and thrown it away ? Of course, I have entertained this idea, but it`s more likely (isn`t it?) that the killer took the scarf, especially as the scarf was around her neck and we know the killer paid particular to that area of the body.

Comment

• Her Property

Originally posted by Ally View Post
                      Trevor decided without looking at the facts that the killer hadn't discarded this apron. In his book, he doesn't even push the "caught in the jail cell theory". He gives primary to saying Eddowes probably used it as a rag to wipe herself after going to the toilet in g-street or as a sanitary device in general. Recognizing the sheer stupidity of that when it was pointed out she had 12 rags on her person at the time, he changed it to her being caught in the jail cell without her rags, again apparently never having read the inquest that stated she wasn't stripped of her possessions while in jail.
                      Hi Ally,

Whilst I too think Trevor's theory most improbable, I don't find the inquest reports to be as described. Apologies if I've missed something but the following is from The Times of Friday 12th October 1888, reporting Pc Hutt's evidence of the previous day (my emphasis):

In answer to a question by a juryman: "Prisoners were not searched who were brought into the station drunk. Handkerchiefs or anything with which they could injure themselves would be taken from them."

Items which might be used to cause harm to themselves or others are taken from prisoners on arrest. In the modern era it is written into the Codes of Practice under the Police & Criminal Evidence Act 1984. Certainly, that would apply to the handkerchiefs (because they could be tied together to form a ligature). Were I still employed as a Custody Sergeant I would take the apron also - and for the same reason.
                      Of course, if you seized the apron, you would surely notice if a sizeable portion of it had already been cut away, but that's a different argument.

Regards, Bridewell.
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Hello all,

I would think that Kate would be unlikely to use the apron section that was found herself for sanitation, if thats a correct read on the premise, the section had a string attached, like the section remaining on Kate, and to secure it around her neck or at her waist would require both ends of the string. Unless she made a makeshift repair to have the apron hang on her some other way, which I would have though would be evident on the piece remaining on her.

Then you also have the strange coincidence of a message seemingly related to the nights crimes in some fashion just above the section discarded.

Cheers,

Mike R
                        Michael Richards

Comment

• [QUOTE=Bridewell;229579]
                          Hi Ally,

Whilst I too think Trevor's theory most improbable, I don't find the inquest reports to be as described. Apologies if I've missed something but the following is from The Times of Friday 12th October 1888, reporting Pc Hutt's evidence of the previous day (my emphasis):

In answer to a question by a juryman: "Prisoners were not searched who were brought into the station drunk. Handkerchiefs or anything with which they could injure themselves would be taken from them."

Daily Telegraph (Casebook Inquest reports):

"" A Juror: Do you search persons who are brought in for drunkenness? -
                          No, but we take from them anything that might be dangerous. I loosened the things round the deceased's neck, and I then saw a white wrapper and a red silk handkerchief. "

They stated that they loosened what was around her neck, which would have been her kerchief but they did not take it. And that item would also have sufficed in an emergency of the sort described. I am not sure where your quote is from, I did look but could not find it. Could you provide a link?

Editing to add: I have found the times report. I am going to have to go with the one used officially by Casebook. The times seems to be a more generic summary whereas the other appears to give more word for word testimony. So I suppose it's a matter of which is more accurate. In my opinion, the individualized quotes from the individualized people in that one seem to be a more likely representation of what was said as it appears to be more exact. That is of course, just my opinion! It appears the question was asked in regard to identifying the clothing the "deceased" was wearing in order to identify her, so he was mentioning the items he had seen to identify her. I did try to look up other reports on the inquest without luck to see if there were more that could be compared for accuracy, but was not successful.

I don't agree that a handkerchief would have been regarded as dangerous. At least not back then, it was seen as an essential bit of wear and as integral as bloomers in a way. If they would take her handkerchief because she could hang herself, why not her apron or her bloomers too? I mean especially the apron. If they will take ANYTHING even that as insignificant as a handkerchief, why would they leave her apron with those handy hanging strings?
                          Last edited by Ally; 07-19-2012, 11:05 PM.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

• While I am of the opinion the killer took the apron piece from the scene of the crime,can it be taken for granted that he cut it. Was it in fact cut?,or was it ripped?Could a ripped part have been among her possessions.Who first e xplained it as being cut,and how did that person come to that conclusion?I ask this because of it being explained one time, that a ripped piece of cloth will show a difference from a cut piece.Don't think this needs four readings to make sense.

Comment

• Harry,

Its stated a repair on the apron was cut through.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• I voted for the Killer because I think that almost all reasonable people would conclude that this scenario is most plausible. That it was discarded not immediately but rather in Goulston street could be explained by any number of factors, most likely that it simply wasn't a priority while he was initially fleeing. Or that he was using it to transport an organ. Or less likely, that he wanted to leave a message, and chalking something by a corpse is a good way to get caught.

Having said this, I think it remains a possibility that a police official might be responsible. One reason might be that it was an attempt by the Metropolitan police to retain some jurisdiction over the case. Or, given that by now the murders were high-profile, perhaps a rogue cop took a souvenir then thought better of it. Less likely, perhaps the cop was an antisemite or otherwise had an axe to grind with someone living in Goulston Street.

I'm speculating wildly, but all of these seem to me more likely than Eddowes cutting the apron herself.

Comment

Working...
                                X