Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Colin

How can I put this to a Scot?

Well Trevor's done better than Bon Accord did against Arbroath...but only just...

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
      Hi Colin

How can I put this to a Scot?

Well Trevor's done better than Bon Accord did against Arbroath...but only just...

Dave
      Hi Dave,

We're assuming that the lone Marriottist is the great man himself, but he could be playing a waiting game. The 'Eddowes herself' option could therefore double its support at any moment!

Regards, Colin.
      Last edited by Bridewell; 07-28-2012, 08:35 PM. Reason: clarification
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• And the final score appears to be..well yes. I just want to congratulate all the learned members of Casebook for apparently having a rational brain cell. Even if it's only one, that's still something.

Let all Oz be agreed;
        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• I just came across this thread and added my vote.

Incidentally, the repair to the apron proves it had been 'torn' at some point before the murder night, so I agree with Fisherman here, that the reports of the garment being torn may merely be describing its generally poor state of repair, or even be a direct reference to the repair itself.

Clearly, any reports that indicate it was also 'cut' can only support the majority opinion that it was the killer's own work, since he was the one known to have the sharp knife, not Eddowes.

Love,

Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

Clearly, any reports that indicate it was also 'cut' can only support the majority opinion that it was the killer's own work, since he was the one known to have the sharp knife, not Eddowes.

Love,

Caz
            X
            Caz, that white handled table knife that she had among her possessions could have been capable of cutting cloth if it were sharp enough. The requisite for a knife for the cutting of the cloth would be different than the one required for the serious knife work there, granted, but she did have a knife.

Cheers,
            Mike R

Comment

• Caz, that white handled table knife that she had among her possessions could have been capable of cutting cloth if it were sharp enough. The requisite for a knife for the cutting of the cloth would be different than the one required for the serious knife work there, granted, but she did have a knife.
              Yeah, Mike, and I can just see the poor mare crouching in a doorway, sawing away at her precious pinny with her equally precious table knife, so she could wipe her bum or staunch her dwindling menstrual flow (and if she weighed less than 7 and a half stone her non-existent one). Twelve rags not good enough for either jobby? Wow, she must have been in a state. Her luck just got worse and worse that night, didn't it?

Besides, I thought this area of London was awash with public conveniences like the one Daniel Dan drowned in, in Carry On Screaming. If she needed a penny for the slot I'm sure she could have sweet-talked her way into getting one, considering all the booze she managed to cadge earlier.

Love,

Caz
              X
              Last edited by caz; 08-10-2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Yeah, Mike, and I can just see the poor mare crouching in a doorway, sawing away at her precious pinny with her equally precious table knife, so she could wipe her bum or staunch her dwindling menstrual flow (and if she weighed less than 7 and a half stone her non-existent one). Twelve rags not good enough for either jobby? Wow, she must have been in a state. Her luck just got worse and worse that night, didn't it?

Besides, I thought this area of London was awash with public conveniences like the one Daniel Dan drowned in, in Carry On Screaming. If she needed a penny for the slot I'm sure she could have sweet-talked her way into getting one, considering all the booze she managed to cadge earlier.

Love,

Caz
                X
                Little do you know

Comment

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  I have no idea why the sarcasm, I wasnt pushing any idea other than its possible she cut her own apron because she did have a knife on her. As to why she would do so, I personally feel that she wouldnt have, and the killer most probably definitely did,.. but the possibility remains.

Regards,
                  Mike R

Comment

I have great difficulty in believing any woman would use a public toilet in that area during the hours of darkness with a murderer on the loose. If it was me I would be thinking he might be hiding in there! But then, I am of a rather suspicious nature.

Carol

Comment

• Does anyone know if the sizes of the 'menstrual rags' (or washing cloths) was recorded? I've been meaning to ask for ages but keep forgetting. Thanks to Caz for reminding me!

Carol

Comment

• Originally posted by Carol View Post
                        Does anyone know if the sizes of the 'menstrual rags' (or washing cloths) was recorded? I've been meaning to ask for ages but keep forgetting. Thanks to Caz for reminding me!

Carol
                        Hi Carol

Since menstrual rags were not sold in 1888 as menstrual pads or tampons are today, it was more of an ad hoc situation so the make-shift menstrual rag might be of any size.

Best regards

Chris
                        Christopher T. George
                        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

• Originally posted by Carol View Post
                          I have great difficulty in believing any woman would use a public toilet in that area during the hours of darkness with a murderer on the loose. If it was me I would be thinking he might be hiding in there! But then, I am of a rather suspicious nature.

Carol
                          Hi Carol,

Good point, it was more my little joke than anything else. Blame it on the British sense of humour, which Mike clearly has a problem with.

But it seems that this very woman was desperate enough to go with a stranger into the darkness of Mitre Square, albeit for a bit more than a quick wipe after a very private function.

Love,

Caz
                          X

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                            Little do you know
                            Hi Trev,

What I do know is that if you've been in touch with your feminine side, she's fed you a load of guff.

Women, eh? What are they good for?

Love,

Caz
                            X

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                              ...the killer most probably definitely did,..
                              Is that even English, Mike?

Love,

Caz
                              X

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                                Hi Carol

Since menstrual rags were not sold in 1888 as menstrual pads or tampons are today, it was more of an ad hoc situation so the make-shift menstrual rag might be of any size.

Best regards

Chris
                                Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your reply. Much appreciated!

Carol

P.S. The earliest reference to sold sanitary towels I have been able to find is in my bound copy of Home Chat for Jan-April 1896. They were advertised as 'Invaluable for Ladies Travelling and Home use. Supplied at the actual cost of washing. Hartmann's Hygienic Towelettes.' They were sold in three sizes (no measurements given) but cost 1s.0d. per dozen, 1s.4d. per dozen and 2s.0d. per dozen. You could also get the smallest size at 6d. per half dozen. The firm also advertised a 'special make for accouchement' at 2s.0d. per dozen. The firm was called 'The Sanitary Wood Wool Co. Ltd., Thavies Inn, London'.

Comment

Working...
                                X