Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jerryd View Post
    I see it more like this.

Notice there are two buildings marked as No. 36 Mitre Street. The one with the "Carp" is the only one on Mitre Street marked as 1 story. The others are 3. It is also stated to be brick arched.

On these maps, at borders between two buildings we can see a symbol, which either looks like a T or a double stroked T? What do those symbols indicate?

- Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

On these maps, at borders between two buildings we can see a symbol, which either looks like a T or a double stroked T? What do those symbols indicate?

- Jeff
      They are extended from walls and supposedly indicate how high above the roof level the wall extends.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks Gary. I was just about to post that.

Also you can see, indicated by a smaller "T" and a "C" at the corner, this property (No. 36) had a concrete or asphalt roof as opposed to tile like the others.

Comment

• I believe it doesn't show the typical "archway curves" at No. 36 (indicating a passage under) as it was only one story? Does that make sense?
          Last edited by jerryd; 01-22-2022, 10:06 PM.

Comment

I believe it doesn't show the typical "archway curves" at No. 36 (indicating a passage under) as it was only one story? Does that make sense?
            A passage ‘through’ rather than ‘under’?

But then why would there not be a gap to show that?

I think I mentioned the roof material and that it was just one storey earlier. The wooden structure (yellow), whatever it was, went right across the plot.

We’ll have to keep searching.

Comment

• Well, I think i figured part of the mystery out.

Again, thanks to Debs in finding the owners and occupiers in 1888. 36.5 Mitre Street was vaults. Thus the brick arched. On a brighter note, look at No. 39 Mitre Street. It included 73 Leadenhall.

Corporation of London, Esther Lyon, 34, House & shop
              " , A Hart, 35, "
              " , Robert johnson, 36, 36.5 House 7 vaults
              " , Henry Lovell, 37, House & shop
              " , James Thorogood, 38, House & shop
              " , Saml. J Robinson, 39, included in 73 Leadenhall St page 16
              " , Andrew lawson, 40, warehouse

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

They are extended from walls and supposedly indicate how high above the roof level the wall extends.
                Thanks!

- Jeff

Comment

Well, I think i figured part of the mystery out.

Again, thanks to Debs in finding the owners and occupiers in 1888. 36.5 Mitre Street was vaults. Thus the brick arched. On a brighter note, look at No. 39 Mitre Street. It included 73 Leadenhall.

Corporation of London, Esther Lyon, 34, House & shop
                  " , A Hart, 35, "
                  " , Robert johnson, 36, 36.5 House 7 vaults
                  " , Henry Lovell, 37, House & shop
                  " , James Thorogood, 38, House & shop
                  " , Saml. J Robinson, 39, included in 73 Leadenhall St page 16
                  " , Andrew lawson, 40, warehouse

Should that be house ‘and’ vaults rather than ‘7’?

The 36/36.5 numbering suggests that a gap next to 36 had been filled in?

Comment

Should that be house ‘and’ vaults rather than ‘7’?

The 36/36.5 numbering suggests that a gap next to 36 had been filled in?
                    Probably Gary. The 36.5 does seem to indicate there is more to the structure. I didn't think of that. Nice catch!

My lingering question is, how did one get into the Ivory Warehouse and other properties in the middle of these two streets? I know No. 75 Leadenhall shows a passage back there but would that be the only way in?

Also, in the main property at No. 36 there is a white square which almost seems to be a part of the bigger courtyard. What is that?
                    Last edited by jerryd; 01-22-2022, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Probably Gary. The 36.5 does seem to indicate there is more to the structure. I didn't think of that. Nice catch!

My lingering question is, how did one get into the Ivory Warehouse and other properties in the middle of these two streets? I know No. 75 Leadenhall shows a passage back there but would that be the only way in?

Also, in the main property at No. 36 there is a white square which almost seems to be a part of the bigger courtyard. What is that?
                      I’ve ordered another copy of the ‘yard to the mile’ scale OS map. That may help out. When it arrives next week I’ll share it on here.

Although I’m very doubtful there was a passageway in 1888, I like the idea that there might have been because it leads in the direction of Haydon Square, about which I have a ‘theory’.

Comment

I’ve ordered another copy of the ‘yard to the mile’ scale OS map. That may help out. When it arrives next week I’ll share it on here.

Although I’m very doubtful there was a passageway in 1888, I like the idea that there might have been because it leads in the direction of Haydon Square, about which I have a ‘theory’.

Good deal and thanks. I'm interested to hear your Haydon Square theory. Lechmere related, I assume? Bachert lived that way also.

Comment

• This is interesting. It’s from a book of aerial photos I have dating from from 2004.

The gap appears to be there.
                          Attached Files

Comment

This is interesting. It’s from a book of aerial photos I have dating from from 2004.

The gap appears to be there.
                            The location seems different, though. I've rotated and scaled the map to the photo (by eye) and I've sketched out in black where the photo passage and yard sort of looks to be?

And the Mitre Square end in the photo is far wider than the Leadenhall end, but there's no clear indication of it. I would think something that wide would show up as a visible gap between the buildings on the maps?

- Jeff

Click image for larger version

Name:	SmithsBuildingPassage.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	779695

Comment

• Thanks, Jeff.

It’s obviously wrong for the Leadenhall Street end, but the central space looks very similar and if there is still a mediaeval arch in place, then it’s possibly in the gap we can see in the 2004 photo and it may have once provided the access from Mitre Street.

Next time I’m that way I’ll have a look to see if there is anything visible through the modern arch.

Comment

Gary.

Apparently in medieval times there was a passage from an entrance between 39 and 40 Mitre Street to 72 and 73 Leadenhall.

Archway Between Numbers 39 and 40 Mitre Street and at Rear of Numbers 72 and 73 Leadenhall Street, City of London, London (britishlistedbuildings.co.uk)

I would guess numbering changed a bit over the years but in the current google maps of #40 Mitre Street it does show an archway to the left of the current #40.

(#40 directly to right in this street view)

It looks like you found the right location, Jerry.

List entry 1359201. Grade II Listed Building: Archway Between Numbers 39 And 40 Mitre Street And At Rear Of Numbers 72 And 73 Leadenhall Street. May include summary, reasons for designation and history.

Comment

Working...
                                X