Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Hi Hunter,

"1 piece of old white apron" sounds like a dish cloth.

I would have expected something more along the lines of "Full white apron with piece detached."
    Hi Simon,

Why would he describe it in that way? At the time he took the inventory of Kate's belongings there was no full white apron with piece detached. The missing piece was being taken to the Leman St. Police Station to be handed over to Mr. Phillips, who then took it with him to Golden Lane sometime after 5:20 a.m. At presenting his inventory list for the inquiry, Collard does add, "I produce a portion of the apron which deceased was apparently wearing which had been cut through and was found outside her dress."
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Apron

Hi, Simon, Hunter et al,

As Collard preferred:

1 piece of old white apron
      to

Full white apron with piece detached.
      does that not suggest that the portion of the apron (probably) taken by the killer comprised most of it? If so, how big would it have been if the complete garment was a full apron? About 2' square?

Regards, Bridewell
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

difference

Hello Barbara. Makes you wonder why there was not a single cut to Polly or Annie's clothes.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Vive la difference

Actually Lynn, that's a very shrewd observation...a verifiable difference in MO which cannot necessarily be claimed to be part of a progression (it would actually surely represent something of a regression...a coarsening of technique rather than a refinement?).

All the best

Dave

Comment

Remember, these women were prostitutes and no matter how over-dressed to our eyes, they would have been able to "lift the skirts and drop the drawers" quickly to do the deed. I believe that Rumbelow suggests that anal intercourse was the preferred choice, so their backs would have been to the client, with the skirts lifted. A quick strangling, then throat-slitting, and they pretty well would be already exposed for the belly-cutting.

-- CF Leon

Comment

bother

Hello Dave. Thanks. It's something that has bothered me a long time.

Seems especially appropriate for those who claim Annie and Kate are most alike.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

strangling

Hello CF. Welcome to the boards.

Are you aware of any signs of strangling on Kate?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Kate was much more diminutive in size, her clothes were tighter fitting and she had on more layers; including pockets with strings tied around the waist. All one has to do is look at the evidence. The killer was trying to get at the abdomen. Just lifting all of those layers of clothes didn't work as it did with Nichols and Chapman. Every one of Kate's garments were cut through the waistband.
                  Best Wishes,
                  Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

novice

Hello Cris.

"The killer was trying to get at the abdomen."

Absolutely. And once there, he made a rum job of it. Looks like a novice first time out.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Lynn:

"Looks like a novice first time out."

Or a frustrated Ripper, having had to abort in Berner Street and ending up with a woman whose clothing got very much in the way, perhaps ...? Adrenaline, Lynn?

The best,
                      Fisherman

Comment

How the mighty have fallen.

Hello Christer. Thanks.

"Or a frustrated Ripper, having had to abort in Berner Street"

Et tu, Christe? I would have expected that remark from ANYONE except you. Hence I shall, in Graham Chapman fashion, avert my eyes.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Yes, yes, Lynn - I KNOW all that. But how do you look upon the question as such?

The best,
                          Fisherman

Comment

"You're gonna cry ninety-six tears."

Hello Christer. Thanks.

I look on it with tears in my eyes.

For "Double Eventers," we are to imagine that the assailant cut Liz's throat less deeply. Why? Well, perhaps he had failed to take his vitamins that day.

But now, hark! Dimshits is a-coming! Drat, must escape somehow. So he hightails it to Mitre sq where he vents his frustrations on Kate. Now he is pumped (after about a 45 minute lull). Oy!

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Hi all,

Might not the darkness of Mitre Square played a part in the general sloppiness of the Ripper's operation, when compared to Hanbury Street?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Okay, Lynn - I guess I asked for it ...

The best,
                                Fisherman

Comment

Working...
                                X