No announcement yet.

"Crime Scene" Sketch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original is currently on display at the Royal London Hospital.

I had a gander today and despite a huge fold, and beginings of a tear, its still fairly clear.

I suggest those that can make it to see it, do.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm X View Post
      it's amazing how similar the pose is to MK, even her head is turned in the same direction
      With the neck cut through and the person dead anyway, the head probably falls automatically to the side.

Comment

What size is the original, Monty?

Best wishes,
        Steve.

Comment

Here is the entrance to the Royal London Hospital Museum - it is through the black metal gate.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	museum entrance.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	663027
          Here is the well known contemporary drawing of the Eddowes corpse with wounds. You can see the rip in the page.
          (This wasn’t a flash photograph – my camera has a good light sensitive sensor).

Name:	eddowes corpse.JPG
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	663028

Comment

Adjacent to the drawing of the body, but on the same sheet of paper, is this detailed plan of Mitre Square.
            A tiny version of the clothed body image can be seen in the bottom right hand corner of the Square. It is actually only about an inch long – if that.
            One point of interest is that the position of three lamps is marked.
            1). To the left of the entrance to Mitre Square from Mitre Street
            2). On the left hand (western) side of the square
            3). At the entrance to Church Passage.

Name:	mitre square map.JPG
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	663029

Comment

This is roughly the whole sheet.
              With the map to the left, the detailed sketch of the wounds to the right, and at the top right the well known perspective drawing looking across the square to where the body was found (from B to A on the map).
              The rip can be seen across the sheet.

Name:	eddowes murder overview.JPG
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	663030

Comment

Thanks for those, Lechmere.

Best wishes,
                Steve.

Comment

Here's a photo I took many years ago. The whole sheet was reproduced in facsimile as a fold-out plan in the Jack the Ripper Document Pack published by the Public Record Office.

Name:	fosterplan1.jpg
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	663035
                  SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Another Photo

Here's another shot which shows part of the frame that the plan was mounted in by Don Rumbelow when it was donated by Professor Camps to the City of London Police. The framed plan was later returned to the Royal London Hospital, at their request, by Don Rumbelow.

Name:	fosterplan2.jpg
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	663036
                    SPE

Comment

The second map isn't on display at the Royal London Hospital Museum.
                      It looks ike a street map, with maybe an escape route marked ? Or is it a beat? (I just checked again - its the route to Wentworth Model Dwellings).
                      It says on the first map (rthe one with the sketch of the body on it), that there is a plan 2 - so maybe this is it.
                      It looks like there's another drawing to the left of the street map in the same frame.
                      Last edited by Lechmere; 10-23-2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Does anyone have house numbers for those three empty houses on Mitre Street next to Kate's body?

Comment

Hi Garza,

Check this link-

Monty
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Bloodstains

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
                            Coal plate! It's so obvious now. Thank you, Stewart. The "numbers" are easier to see in SYI's version of the sketch. The 6 is above the p of plate and is intersected by the circle. They are most likely just pencil strokes made when sketching the bloodstain.
                            Steve.
                            Yes, they aren't numbers, they are the sketcing of the bloodstains.

Name:	fostereddowess1.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	663038
                            SPE

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                              It looks ike a street map, with maybe an escape route marked ? Or is it a beat? (I just checked again - its the route to Wentworth Model Dwellings).
                              It says on the first map (rthe one with the sketch of the body on it), that there is a plan 2 - so maybe this is it.
                              It looks like there's another drawing to the left of the street map in the same frame.
                              Hi Lechmere and Stewart

Lechmere, my possibly somewhat better eyes tell me the red line is the "City Boundary Line" and so therefore the boundary between the territory patrolled by the Met and City Police forces. Obviously an important topic for our discussion.

Stewart, I am thinking this plan was done by the Foster, the City Surveyor, at the same time as the plan of Mitre Square showing the position of Catherine Eddowes' body, is that right?

All the best

Chris
                              Christopher T. George
                              Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                              just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                              For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                              RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                                The second map is kept behind the counter. If you ask them they will get it out for you to look at.

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                                Hi Lechmere and Stewart

Lechmere, my possibly somewhat better eyes tell me the red line is the "City Boundary Line" and so therefore the boundary between the territory patrolled by the Met and City Police forces. Obviously an important topic for our discussion.

Stewart, I am thinking this plan was done by the Foster, the City Surveyor, at the same time as the plan of Mitre Square showing the position of Catherine Eddowes' body, is that right?

All the best

Chris
                                The Red Line is the City Police Boundary.
                                There are two green lines (one is a different sort of shade of green) showing two routes from Mitre Square to Wentwoth Model Dwellings and the distance of each line.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X