X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Announcement

Deleted.
    Last edited by Admin; 03-10-2022, 11:56 PM.

Like when Dame Edna talks to Barry Humphries.
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

Comment

I see it more like Orville the Duck speaking to Keith Harris.
      Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
      JayHartley.com

Comment

For a moment I thought David had announced that the phrase ‘one-off’ in a context that would have been familiar to Maybrick had been discovered.

It has.

Last edited by MrBarnett; 07-19-2020, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
          It has.
          And well done to you, Gary, for making that little sideshow of Lord Orsam's well and truly history.

It is no surprise to me that - having had that particular peccadillo finally removed from his arsenal - he would very soon come up with another one. The timing is remarkable. I'll bet he hasn't slept for two months.

It's good fun, and I'm looking forward to it, whatever it is. I'll make one prediction now: it won't be One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary.

It seems to me that the clowns are taking over the circus and he is now the first with the face paint in the morning.

Ike
          Iconoclast
          Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

MrBarnett I actually haven't seen that particular find yet - where could one be pointed in the right direction?
            JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post
              MrBarnett I actually haven't seen that particular find yet - where could one be pointed in the right direction?
              Here’s an example from 1864. It was a term used to describe an immature horse.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Here’s an example from 1864. It was a term used to describe an immature horse.
                Maybrick was a horse lover as well. I doft my cap sir to excellent researching.
                JayHartley.com

Comment

Yes, excellent research indeed. I think it was Caroline Morris on JtR Forums who suggested that the line in the scrapbook could have meant 'a coltish [or immature] action' and - if this were so and if the scrapbook were indeed a hoax (I am literally holding my breath here, guys) - then I guess this would imply that it was a more or less contemporary hoax.

Well done MrBarnett say I.

Ike
                  Iconoclast
                  Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

For me what’s most significant about this is that it isn’t mentioned by David in his one-off article. Either he missed it or he excluded it. Either way it undermines the impression that his research is exhaustive/definitive on the subject.

He puts forward a convincing explanation for how the modern use of ‘one-off’ developed from the engineering usage, but IMO it isn’t proof that a late Victorian couldn’t have used the term in a similar way to how we might use it today.

Comment

Hi All,

Wether Lord O has something of interest or not remains to be seen, so until he puts up, I'll shut up.

The horse reference is not the same context. Through my own cognitive dissonance, I'm not a huge fan of the whole "one off instance" debate, but the horse reference is to do with teeth growth?

​​​​​​By the by, until David reveals his new revelation, we can't shoot it down. More so, why automatically discredit his findings, when we don't know what they are?

Save face and grace. If his "special announcement" is a crock, let's see it for what it is. Until then, I'd reiterate to say, "David, mighty big words preacher. Now put up or shut up"
                      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post

Yes, excellent research indeed. I think it was Caroline Morris on JtR Forums who suggested that the line in the scrapbook could have meant 'a coltish [or immature] action' and - if this were so and if the scrapbook were indeed a hoax (I am literally holding my breath here, guys) - then I guess this would imply that it was a more or less contemporary hoax.

Well done MrBarnett say I.

Ike
                        Caz may remember. We were both considering the possibility that ‘one-off’ might have been used to describe an immature act by a person.

It’s by no means an absurd suggestion. No more absurd than using an engineering term to describe a unique person or event.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
                          Hi All,

Wether Lord O has something of interest or not remains to be seen, so until he puts up, I'll shut up.

The horse reference is not the same context. Through my own cognitive dissonance, I'm not a huge fan of the whole "one off instance" debate, but the horse reference is to do with teeth growth?

​​​​​​By the by, until David reveals his new revelation, we can't shoot it down. More so, why automatically discredit his findings, when we don't know what they are?

Save face and grace. If his "special announcement" is a crock, let's see it for what it is. Until then, I'd reiterate to say, "David, mighty big words preacher. Now put up or shut up"
                          The current usage developed from an obscure engineering term. Why couldn’t the term used to describe an immature horse have developed into a description of an immature person or his actions?

As I say, what’s of most interest to me is that David doesn’t mention the equine usage when ‘proving’ the diary to be a fake because of the use of the term ‘one-off’.

Why?
                          Last edited by MrBarnett; 07-19-2020, 07:59 PM.

Comment

I do believe from your posts above that you are interested in proving Orsam wrong more than researching this so called Diary originality.

The horse reference has nothing to do with the modern [one-off instance], unless you understand it as a reference to a Filly that will not happen again in the history of horses

The Baron

Comment

Originally posted by The Baron View Post
                              I do believe from your posts above that you are interested in proving Orsam wrong more than researching this so called Diary originality.

The horse reference has nothing to do with the modern [one-off instance], unless you understand it as a reference to a Filly that will not happen again in the history of horses

The Baron
                              Do you bother to read anything?

No point, I suppose if you blindly accept anything coming from a certain quarter.

Comment

Working...
                              X