Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kosminski still the best suspect we have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post
    In connexion with the arrest of a lunatic at Holloway, it appears that he has been missing from his friends for some time now. The detectives have been very active in prosecuting their inquiries concerning him, and it is believed the result, so far, increases their suspicion. He is at present confined in the asylum at Grove-road, Bow.

There are at present three cases of suspicion. 1. The lunatic Isensmith a Swiss arrested at Holloway who is now in an asylum at Bow & arrangements are being made to ascertain whether he is the man who was seen on the morning of the murder in a public house by Mrs Fiddymont.

In the early hours of 12 September Isenschmid was arrested and taken to Holloway Police Station. Judged insane, he was sent to the Islington Workhouse and from thence, the same day, to Grove Hall Lunatic Asylum, Fairfield Road, Bow.

Dr Mickle, resident medical officer at Grove Hall, was so concerned about his patient’s health that he declined to permit the witnesses to confront him. On 19 September, the date of our last police report on Isenschmid, the doctor was still obdurate and we do not know whether Mrs Fiddymont and her witnesses ever did identify the suspect.
    This article reads like it is the same subject.

Lloyds Weekly, 30 Sept. 1888.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I am wondering if the Seaside home mentioned by Swanson in his famous marginalia could be a reference to the Sailors Home in Well St [now Ensign St], and the nearby Destitute Sailors' Asylum which was on the next street , Dock St. Both built, seven years apart to provide shelter and food for seamen by perhaps the same philanthropists.

The location is tempting less than a mile from Mitre Sq and Aldgate [Butchers row suspect?], in City Police territory [watched by City Police, so in effect their suspect for Eddowes murder] and less than a mile from Lawende's workplace St Mary Axe. If indeed Lawende was the witness.

It seems strange to me that you would take a witness and a suspect miles [Brighton], just to confront the witness with the suspect, why not do that in London?. Doesn't sound much like a proper ID and could their actually be one with Kosminski's deteriorating mental condition?

Bearing in mind that Lawende said that the man he sighted had the appearance of a sailor. What better place to put a mentally unstable suspect who may have been a sailor in front of a witness than an asylum for sailors. Now I believe not everybody or indeed probably most people who resided there suffered from mental illness but it still gives the ID an air of credibility to it in case there was a court case. In fact Lawende could have been confronted with a few seamen, one at a time but it was Kosminski he recognised. He certainly didn't know he was a Jew at the time [when he learned he was a fellow Jew, he declined to give evidence] and probably not a sailor.

Although I have no proof of this and just a few suggestions it is tempting. A suspect who had the appearance of a sailor but wasn't, yet picked out by a witness at a Sailors home after perhaps looking at a few other seamen beforehand. Even if Lawende says he wasn't positive and reminded the Police that he only had a cursory glance at the murderer it might have hardened the thoughts of Anderson and maybe Swanson that Kosminski was their man. Particularly after he said Sadler wasn't the man not long after, even though he could be seen as a reasonable suspect. He could even have been used at the Sadler ID to test his veracity. Pick out Sadler as well and the case against Kosminski gets watered down, but he didn't.

Regards Darryl
      good post dk. do you think lawende was the witness?

Comment

I am wondering if the Seaside home mentioned by Swanson in his famous marginalia could be a reference to the Sailors Home in Well St [now Ensign St], and the nearby Destitute Sailors' Asylum which was on the next street , Dock St. Both built, seven years apart to provide shelter and food for seamen by perhaps the same philanthropists.

The location is tempting less than a mile from Mitre Sq and Aldgate [Butchers row suspect?], in City Police territory [watched by City Police, so in effect their suspect for Eddowes murder] and less than a mile from Lawende's workplace St Mary Axe. If indeed Lawende was the witness.
        Hi Darryl,
        I believe the two homes were actually in Met police territory (being very close to Leman Street station). However, as I understand it, both the Met and the City police had the legal rights of investigation and arrest anywhere.in England and Wales, including in each others' patrolled territory.

I also seem to recall that the City force were doing undercover surveillance well before Eddowes was murdered - if you can believe Chief Supt Smith, as Early as August.​​​​​​

Comment

• Yes by far he is the best suspect

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonylondon View Post
            Yes by far he is the best suspect

Agree, no one is even close.

He was positively identified, and, if the shawl and DNA saga is in any way true, then it is a case closed.

The Baron

Comment

• Originally posted by The Baron View Post

Agree, no one is even close.

He was positively identified, and, if the shawl and DNA saga is in any way true, then it is a case closed.

The Baron
              I can think of a nasty, wee, broad shouldered blotchy guy who might beg to differ.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

I can think of a nasty, wee, broad shouldered blotchy guy who might beg to differ.

Then you must have some secret information that Kosminski was not that nasty wee broad shouldered blotchy guy you are rooting for.

The Baron

Comment

• Hi Baron,

Positively identified by whom?

Regards,

Simon
                  Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Hi Simon,

He was identified by a fellow jew witness who is unknown to us, there is a good case for Schwarz being the witness.

I have a great respect for chief inspector Donald Swanson, when he says Kosminski was the suspect, then Kosminski was the suspect.

I understand your take on Anderson, but that is not enough to rule out this identification,

The Baron

Comment

• Hi Baron,

"Positively identified," and "there is a good case for Schwartz being the witness" do not jive. It smacks more of wishful thinking.

Simon

Comment

• So if I told someone there is a poster on casebook who thinks this identification is bogus, but I didn't say his name is Simon Wood, that means I am fabricating this ?!

The Baron

Comment

• Sorry, Baron, that makes no sense at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Baron View Post
                            So if I told someone there is a poster on casebook who thinks this identification is bogus, but I didn't say his name is Simon Wood, that means I am fabricating this ?!

The Baron
                            Dont worry Baron, Simon recently put forward the suggestion that the mutilated corpse of Mary Jane Kelly could possibly have been a ''male'' due to her injuries that prevented a positive i.d !!!! . Hows that for not making sense.
                            'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

• Hi Fishy,

You can blame that idea on A System of Legal Medicine, Allan McLane Hamilton, M.D., F.R.S.E., 2nd Edition, New York 1900.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                                Hi Fishy,

You can blame that idea on A System of Legal Medicine, Allan McLane Hamilton, M.D., F.R.S.E., 2nd Edition, New York 1900.

Regards,

Simon
                                'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Working...
                                X