Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    Hi Robert,

You had the saying, "When you hear the sound of hooves, think horses before zebras." I knew only one person who ever used that saying, and he was giving me advice about analyzing evidence. Can you tell me where you heard it?
    Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
    Anyways... He said that medical professors use a similar phrase when they are teaching new doctors how to analyze a problem. Fixing phone systems all day long, the saying spoke to my "trouble shooting" side.
    The phrase comes from a Dr. Woodward, don't remember his first name off hand- Thomas, maybe, who had a big part in finding a cure for thyroid fever. Zebra is used as an aphorism for when someone arrives at an exotic diagnosis when its more likely something far more common.
    I once had a boss who was very fond of using it whenever possible.
    I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
      The phrase comes from a Dr. Woodward, don't remember his first name off hand- Thomas, maybe, who had a big part in finding a cure for thyroid fever. Zebra is used as an aphorism for when someone arrives at an exotic diagnosis when its more likely something far more common.
      I once had a boss who was very fond of using it whenever possible.
      Dr. Theodore Woodward and Typhoid Fever by any chance?
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
        Dr. Theodore Woodward and Typhoid Fever by any chance?
        Theodore, yes. Was going by memory and knew it was some T name.
        Now why did my phone decide to change "typhoid" to "thyroid"... Damn autocorrect.
        I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

• Jack's middle name was The.....waddyya have for that?

Comment

• Originally posted by EmaEm View Post
            I also have an honours degree in English, and an MA in Victorian Studies.
            Can't spell,has no eye deer about the Victorian word Artizan and poor use of quotes when trolling.

Fail!

Even starting to make Lucky Pierre look good .....by comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
              I have been quite vocal on the content of pierres postings from his original post and also onother threads.
              I stated quite clearly that i suspected that pierre is accually a existing member using a new user name via a v p n possibly.
              Now we have 1888 arriving to support pierre which just thickens the plot .
              I have never had a issue with pierres original post it is what the forum is here for. But what i have had issues with is the schoolboy teases that pierre puts into posts.
              I asked pierre why post at all if you were a year away from accually finding out if his theory was correct. His answer in the thread titled pierres research did not sastify me and was very evasive.
              However as the thread rolls on with 1888 possibly identifying pierres suspect and i would like to ask 1888 the following question.

Would you be willing to reveal who you think pierre has identified if pierre has not come forwarded and named him in a reasonable time scale of 8 weeks or so say 1/1/2016.
              Simple yes or no will suffice.

I struggle to understand why anyone weather a first time poster,lifelong member or even a lurker would post on the forum that they think they have found him but cant reveal who it is until a year later it just does not add up. No benifit to the researcher no benifit to the members .
              Hi Paul,

I have promised everybody to reveal my theory whatever the outcome of my last bit of evidence. I am an honest person and I keep my promises.

I have no idea who 1888 is. He doesn´t know me or anything about my research. I have confided in one person only and this person is not 1888, but a member of my own family.

The reasons I can´t reveal my theory before my work is finished are two: it might destroy evidence - and there is the ethical aspect of accusing innocent people.

The first bit is the most important.

Regards Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post

The reasons I can´t reveal my theory before my work is finished are two: it might destroy evidence

The first bit is the most important.

Regards Pierre
                You've got the Riddles...I think you might just be the Riddler...where IS batman when you need him!

Comment

That was a typo, as you very well know. I also have arthritis in my fingers so I hope you now feel good about yourself. I also have an honours degree in English, and an MA in Victorian Studies. What do you have? A healthy err.....imagination?
                  But you feel ok to criticism other's typing.

As for degrees slightly more than you.

As for arthritis, in virtually every joint of my body, I just get upset when someone is prepared to attack Nother posterior perceived typographical errors or sentence structures WHIL making errors of their own.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                    Hi Robert,

You had the saying, "When you hear the sound of hooves, think horses before zebras." I knew only one person who ever used that saying, and he was giving me advice about analyzing evidence. Can you tell me where you heard it?

Jeff
                    that's the quadrupède version of Occam razor. Love it.
                    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
                      Can't spell,has no eye deer about the Victorian word Artizan and poor use of quotes when trolling.

Fail!

Even starting to make Lucky Pierre look good .....by comparison.
                      Yes, indeed, you have failed big time. Hoist by your own petard - "eye deer". I could have added hundreds of links to the two I posted regarding 'Artisan' but they both proved my point. Still, tres amusant when fantasists like you shoot themselves in the foot. Btw, you don't get an MA in Victorian Studies without a lot of damn hard work. Try it sometime, you might learn something- but do you have the ability? No evidence from your posts at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        But you feel ok to criticism other's typing.

As for degrees slightly more than you.

As for arthritis, in virtually every joint of my body, I just get upset when someone is prepared to attack Nother posterior perceived typographical errors or sentence structures WHIL making errors of their own.
                        "Nother"
                        "WHIL"

You make it too easy to laugh at you. Next you'll be saying you were brought up in a cardboard box and had to lick Yorkshire pavement before going to school.

Comment

• When someone uses the argument from authority (ad verecundiam) to proove his superiority, he only prooves he's got nothing else to say for himself.

I think one of these recent posters should have gone for a MA in adult behaviour instead of Victorian studies.

Hercule Poirot

Comment

• Originally posted by Hercule Poirot View Post
                            When someone uses the argument from authority (ad verecundiam) to proove his superiority, he only prooves he's got nothing else to say for himself.

I think one of these recent posters should have gone for a MA in adult behaviour instead of Victorian studies.

Hercule Poirot
                            No my dear. I neither used any authority or was trying to proove (sic) any superiority. Just facts: and your comment reeks of inferiority. It was posted as I worked damn hard for it! I therefore know what I am talking about regarding how artisan was spelt in Britain in the late 19th Century. Non Brits have a reasonable excuse for arguing the point, but not people who were educated in this country. Doubt being expressed over the word educated of course. Physics, for example, is not my subject. I neither post anywhere about it, read, or talk on the subject. I am happily content to leave it to others as I would with other subjects. If I had to find out about one of those subjects I will happily seek out those qualified to know what they are talking about.When I know exactly what I am talking about, people like you making silly facetious comments just make me laugh. What is pertinent regarding the subject is whether someone has the facts or not; nothing else. If you did have the facts and the background, you would have been posting them. Did you? Or are you just content to sit on the sidelines jeering. You have made the answer to that quite plain.

As this site is currently riddled with trolls, fantasists, and people claiming knowledge that they don't have, you would do well to question them and your own knowledge, or lack of it. Try your bullying tactics on them: your attempts won't work with me.

Never mind though; as long as you are secure in your mind that you have brought facts to the table on this case and widened the knowledge base instead of trying to be supercilious?

Think on.
                            Last edited by EmaEm; 11-12-2015, 11:51 PM.

Comment

No my dear. Posted as I worked damn hard for it! I therefore know what I am talking about regarding how artisan was spelt in Britain in the late 19th Century. Non Brits have a reasonable excuse for arguing the point, but not people who were educated in this country. Doubt being expressed over the word educated of course. Physics, for example, is not my subject. I neither post anywhere about it, read, or talk on the subject. I am happily content to leave it to others as I would with other subjects. If I had to find out about one of those subjects I will happily seek out those qualified to know what they are talking about.When I know exactly what I am talking about, people like you making silly facetious comments just make me laugh. What is pertinent regarding the subject is whether someone has the facts or not; nothing else. If you did have the facts and the background, you would have been posting them. Did you? Or are you just content to site on the sidelines jeering. You have made the answer to that quite plain.

As this site is currently riddled with trolls, fantasists, and people claiming knowledge that they don't have, you would do well to question them and your own konowledge, or lack of it. Try your bullying tactics on them: you're attempts won't work with me.

Never mind though; as long as you are secure in your mind that you have brought facts to the table on this case and widened the knowledge base instead of trying to be supercilious?

Think on.

Q.E.D.
                              Hercule Poirot

Comment

"Nother"
                                "WHIL"

You make it too easy to laugh at you. Next you'll be saying you were brought up in a cardboard box and had to lick Yorkshire pavement before going to school.
                                Which displays real ignorance, since it is plain where I am from, and it ain't England.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X