• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

You haven’t named your favoured suspect Fish
    Still brooding on that one, Herlock!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi GB
      wasnt thompson basically homeless during the autumn of terror, and i seem to recall he was described as living in rags at the time? that dosnt sound like BGB to me.
      According to his biographer, John Walsh, Thompson was in hospital for around six weeks between October and December, 1888.

Comment

Hi I would say the most likely to have killed Mary Kelly , was Joseph Fleming. or Joseph Barnett, were they Jack is the question?

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

According to his biographer, John Walsh, Thompson was in hospital for around six weeks between October and December, 1888.
          Hi MrBarnett,

Thanks for that information. According to Richard Patterson, the six week hospitalisation was from mid-December 1888. More research required.

Cheers, George
          They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
          Out of a misty dream
          Our path emerges for a while, then closes
          Within a dream.
          Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Thanks for the question. I have reviewed most of the candidates and im of the opinion that Bury is the most plausable of the known suspects.

And i would go further (bravley) and would propose that it is more likley he was the ripper, than he was not, based on the weight of circumstantial evidence.
            However we have yet to find a direct link, and of course there were murders after he died in 1889 which some people feel may have been the work of JTR.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2021, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggins View Post
              Thanks for the question. I have reviewed most of the candidates and im of the opinion that Bury is the most plausable of the known suspects.

And i would go further (bravley) and would propose that it is more likley he was the ripper, than he was not, based on the weight of circumstantial evidence.
              However we have yet to find a direct link, and of course there were murders after he died in 1889 which some people feel may have been the work of JTR.
              I did the same thing and came to the same conclusion.

How anyone can make an objective assessment of all the suspects and arrive at any other conclusion than Bury is beyond my naive and simple mind.

You will find some people make a lot of the fact that the police supposedly 'exonerated' Bury. Whilst I'll agree this could be the case, I find it less likely than more likely. The police waited to hear his last words - to me, this says ruled in to the extent that they thought he might confess. He also had an untestable alibi:

Police officer: where were you on x, y, z dates and times:
              Bury: at home, in bed, with my wife. Why don't you ask her......

As suggested by others, they could have followed up on something later. I still think it is more likely that Bury said nothing, he was tried, found guilty and executed. Would the police have wasted resources on chasing a dead end?

It has also been pointed out that the police would have gone to any lengths to charge Bury if they thought him guilty. And yet people insist they knew it was Kozminski from the 'ID' and kept quiet about it!

Case closed for me, Bury all day long.

Comment

thanks Aethelwulf., im working on something on this thats quite interesting actually and could possibly be a direct link, but im still working on it might be a few months. That said it may be a red herring.

How anyone can make an objective assessment of all the suspects and arrive at any other conclusion
                Not sure , but i tell you one thing - my mother in law sweare she was almost a Yorkshire Ripper victim, and was in Headingly at that same time, and she said when they found out who Sutcliffe everyone was suprised he was ''just a lorry driver.''

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi MrBarnett,

Thanks for that information. According to Richard Patterson, the six week hospitalisation was from mid-December 1888. More research required.

Cheers, George
                  Hi George,

It’s a while since I discussed this with Richard. I think part of his argument is that Thompson could only have stayed at the Providence Row Refuge in November/December 1888, so he couldn’t have been in hospital at the time. But the fact is that he could have stayed there the previous year, and in fact there is no evidence that he actually stayed there at all, just an essay he wrote that describes the scene outside the refuge. And Richard has not seen the full essay.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi didles we think alot alike. except i think the ripper more than likely has been named.with the first seven i mentioned i think its better than 50/50. throw in the rest like barnett, druitt, tumblety, flemming, richardson, jacob levy, bowyer etc and i think it goes up to eighty percent.

the cohen/ kaminsky/ kosminsky theory is too convoluted for me to even consider.
                    Hi Abby,

Yeah, I agree that the Cohen / Kaminsky thing does require a lot of mental gymnastics.

I'd been reading an essay by Martin Fido earlier in the week, so that probably made me more receptive to it.

Personally, I think there's a possibility that the Ripper is one of the names above, but I don't quite share your confidence.

I'd say that there is a possibility that his name was somewhere in the police files (perhaps in relation to the house to house searches or similar) but whether it was one of the actual named suspects on here, I'm kinda 70:30 against.

I'd love nothing more than to be proved wrong though!

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post

Blotchy could be your "Lukaku" though?
                      Ha! For sure, Martyn!

He's a regular goal scoring machine whenever he gets a game!!

The challenge is getting him to put down that big quart of beer and focus on the game though!

It's a riot watching from the dug out.

Tumblety is parading up and down the half way line on his massive horse, Chapman is trying to give everyone poisoned lucozade at half time, whilst poor Koz stands on the penalty spot quietly engaging in his solitary vices.

Word has it we're unlikely to make the Champions League this season.

Comment

My favorite suspects are the man who was seen loitering outside Millers court in the wee hours.
                        Also the man seen with Catherine Eddowes, with a peaked cap, red neckerchief and pepper and salt jacket.
                        And last not least, the man who left a broken clay pipe in Millers court 13

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Hi George,

It’s a while since I discussed this with Richard. I think part of his argument is that Thompson could only have stayed at the Providence Row Refuge in November/December 1888, so he couldn’t have been in hospital at the time. But the fact is that he could have stayed there the previous year, and in fact there is no evidence that he actually stayed there at all, just an essay he wrote that describes the scene outside the refuge. And Richard has not seen the full essay.

Gary
                          Hi Gary,

Thanks for that observation. I was wondering how much Richard was basing his theory on speculation. Does Walsh have evidence for his timeline, or is there an element of speculation there as well?

Cheers, George
                          They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
                          Out of a misty dream
                          Our path emerges for a while, then closes
                          Within a dream.
                          Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Bury is by all obvious definitions was most likely a psychopath. He did kill his wife and he did disappear from Whitechapel / Bow area not long after the murders, but killer psychopaths are not always serial killers. Likewise, not all psychopaths are killers.

However, the case for William Bury being a psychopath killer is very strong. Can you then by virtue link him to the Whitechapel murders? Well, it does make him a far better suspect than many others that have been mentioned but the knife used to kill his wife was different and the met police (Aberline specifically) did some basic routine follow-ups with Bury's work colleagues and nothing was flagged or raised at that point. They did not seem to take the claim seriously.

If I didn't already have my preferred suspect, I would consider him as a person of interest.
                            Last edited by erobitha; 08-24-2021, 06:34 AM.
                            Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                            JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post
                              Bury is by all obvious definitions was most likely a psychopath. He did kill his wife and he did disappear from Whitechapel / Bow area not long after the murders, but killer psychopaths are not always serial killers. Likewise, not all psychopaths are killers.

However, the case for William Bury being a psychopath killer is very strong. Can you then by virtue link him to the Whitechapel murders? Well, it does make him a far better suspect than many others that have been mentioned but the knife used to kill his wife was different and the met police (Aberline specifically) did some basic routine follow-ups with Bury's work colleagues and nothing was flagged or raised at that point. They did not seem to take the claim seriously.

If I didn't already have my preferred suspect, I would consider him as a person of interest.
                              Didnt Abberline travel to Scotland to interview him before his execution? and as a result eliminated him

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post
                                ...an axe was allegedly used on MJK's legs...
                                -- I've seen that mentioned here and there, but never seen where, ultimately, it comes from. Can anyone name a source?

M.

Comment

Working...
                                X