John McCarthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJA View Post

The Victoria Park Hospital was also known as the London Chest Hospital and stood empty until 1881 when it opened with 164 beds.
    25% of the East End were carrying TB.

McCarthy was also an important contributor to the London Hospital.

Guess who was a physician at both!

Who would be interested in removing Chapman's head!
    What, McCarthy the slum landlord? Surely not. ;-)

When did he support the LH, Dave? Before or after 1892?

The Dorset Street lodging house keepers and their families did charitable stuff for their local church and on one occasion Marie Kendal, Jack McCarthy’s daughter-in-law, paid for a slap-up Christmas meal for some of his residents and handed out food vouchers that could be redeemed at 27, Dorset Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

Only one that we know of.
      Mind you, I don't think Mrs Cox had a brass farthing to her name the night Mary Jane died, yet she was still there six weeks later, so you never know!

​​​​
      It's a wonder John McCarthy made any money at all charitably housing all these penniless women. One wonders where his income came from at all!

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

What, McCarthy the slum landlord? Surely not. ;-)

When did he support the LH, Dave? Before or after 1892?

The Dorset Street lodging house keepers and their families did charitable stuff for their local church and on one occasion Marie Kendal, Jack McCarthy’s daughter-in-law, paid for a slap-up Christmas meal for some of his residents and handed out food vouchers that could be redeemed at 27, Dorset Street.

Good question MrB.
        Always surmised by 1888.
        Why are you asking me

Somehow only part of my post has appeared,here's the full transcript.

The Victoria Park Hospital was also known as the London Chest Hospital and stood empty until 1881 when it opened with 164 beds.

Who would be interested in removing Chapman's TB infected head!

As Mary Kelly's landlord,McCarthy was able to keep her under his watch for several weeks by not charging rent since the double event.

As soon as Barnett moved out ..... bingo!

As mentioned on another current thread,Henry ..... oops,Jack was headed towards Millers Court the night/morning of the double event. No doubt with the idea of a triple event in mind.

Keep in mind Major Henry Smith's tale of Jack washing his hands in a trough in Dorset Street.
        The same person who had Eddowes' kidney put in Henry Gawen Sutton's hands for his expert opinion.
        Same cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson's who was appointed Chief Superintendent,City Police in 1885,hence Inspector Newcomen in the novella.
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by seanr View Post

It's a wonder John McCarthy made any money at all charitably housing all these penniless women. One wonders where his income came from at all!
          Seems he was a genius tax attorney

Comment

From ‘Boxing’ 6 May, 1911

Sorry, Sean, I don’t know why I tacked that onto your post, although perhaps he did make a few bob out of gambling.
            Last edited by MrBarnett; 10-24-2020, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Boxing:

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post

Good question MrB.
                Always surmised by 1888.
                Why are you asking me

Somehow only part of my post has appeared,here's the full transcript.

Who would be interested in removing Chapman's TB infected head!

As Mary Kelly's landlord,McCarthy was able to keep her under his watch for several weeks by not charging rent since the double event.

As soon as Barnett moved out ..... bingo!

As mentioned on another current thread,Henry ..... oops,Jack was headed towards Millers Court the night/morning of the double event. No doubt with the idea of a triple event in mind.

Keep in mind Major Henry Smith's tale of Jack washing his hands in a trough in Dorset Street.
                The same person who had Eddowes' kidney put in Henry Gawen Sutton's hands for his expert opinion.
                Same cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson's who was appointed Chief Superintendent,City Police in 1885,hence Inspector Newcomen in the novella.
                I’m asking you because you made the statement and I assumed you had a source for it.

As you can see above, by 1911, McCarthys name was a byword for philanthropy. There are numerous examples of him putting his hand in his pocket for good causes. He gave alms to the poor, donated to hospitals, and organised benefits for police officers, boxers and retired entertainers. He had a son who went on the stage and shared his father’s love of the ring.

But of course, they couldn’t possibly have been among the local tradesmen who presented Abberline with his coffee set. That was the Lambeth PS John McCarthy who had briefly served in Whitechapel 4 years previously and his, I’m sure, very nice son.

Comment

Common knowledge,as you have expanded on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Miss_Marie_Kendall.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	744363 Marie Kendall.

Comment

I’m trying to demonstrate that Dorset Street McC and his son were far more likely to have attended Abberline’s presentation than an unremarkable PS from a different division. I believe his reputation as a prominent and open-handed local businessman would have already been established by 1892, but a little more evidence wouldn’t go amiss.

Marie Kendall:

Marie Kendall Music Hall singer appearing in "Say it With Flowers" 1934

Comment

More about Good Old Jack.

Organising boxing matches in Dukes Place, eh? And giving the takings to the Victoria Hospital.

What a rogue.

Comment

I'd have to agree MrB, it's highly plausible that it was Dorset St McCarthy listed at Abberlines' knees up. Unfortunately, I've totally lost track of why that was important in the first place.....
                        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
                          I'd have to agree MrB, it's highly plausible that it was Dorset St McCarthy listed at Abberlines' knees up. Unfortunately, I've totally lost track of why that was important in the first place.....
                          Me too! ;-)

So often people trot out the ‘McCarthy was a villain’ mantra, but when you ask them to back it up, all they have to fall back on is the infamous boxing match that got out of hand (big deal). And William Thick suffers from guilt by association.

I’m sure the doss house keepers did sail close to the wind at times, but then so did a large proportion of the male population of the East End.

Despite his numerous charitable efforts, I’m McCarthy was no saint, but I don’t believe he was an Al Capone or Jack the Ripper either.

Comment

Likely through racketeering, prostitution and facilitating corruption within the police.

"Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Despite his numerous charitable efforts, I’m McCarthy was no saint, but I don’t believe he was an Al Capone or Jack the Ripper either.
                              Hear hear!
                              I guess it's inevitable on a site like this that many tend to project sinister motives onto even the most benign words or actions, but I think it benefits us all, and humanity as a whole, to at least occasionally try and see the good in people.
                              So thank you for casting a little more light and a bit less shade.

Now....do you have any more info on the criminal activities of the Muddle brothers? They sound like a right pair!

Comment

More about Good Old Jack.

Organising boxing matches in Dukes Place, eh? And giving the takings to the Victoria Hospital.

What a rogue.
                                The irony though is that the more that you highlight John "Jack" McCarthy's prominence, the more likely he is to be considered a rogue.

I say this because if he was merely the humble landlord of a dwelling in which a prostitute was murdered, then it makes him relatively insignificant.

However, if he was a well known figure within the community, who was involved with 'charity' through donating monies to hospitals made from 'boxing' (illegal fighting) and involved with Police retirement functions and such like; ergo, being a prominent figure in society with his fingers in lots of pies, then it adds to his significance when looking into the MJK murder case.

Why would a man of such self styled narcissistic importance casually allow women of ill repute to stay in his properties? It would ruin his reputation as an upstanding member of the community.

The answer lies in that the police turned a blind eye to his dealings.

McCarthy and the police were working from the same page. He facilitated their needs, perhaps as an informant who could supply info on bigger fish. And they allowed him to be seen as the pillar of the community.

Power corrupts and a man who on one hand gives money to charity through ill gotten gains and allows prostitutes to freely operate from his property, speaks volumes as to his real character.

He must have felt untouchable

On the payroll as an informant, while facilitating their needs accordingly by supplying powerful social officials with women. All hush hush of course.

A man who appeared to openly contribute so much to society would not have stood for allowing prostitutes to work from his properties is he was actually a decent man.

There's always 2 sides to every coin and while some may say that he was being charitable by allowing the likes of MJK to stay and 'work' from Millers Court, it seems to me that he considered MJK as a commodity.
                                It could be said that the difference with the rippers other victims is that they were older 'street' workers; past their peak so to speak. Whereas Kelly was perhaps able to attract a more higher class of client; as was her previous experience.

Kelly was an asset for McCarthy and i would go so far as saying that Kelly took in clients who included policeman, officials, civil servants, masons, politicians... the list goes on...

Kelly was reported to have often been in the company of other women.

Could it be that Millers Court was an underground brothel for clients who needed to remain anonymous, high ranking policeman and medical professional for example?

The tale of the police waiting for 2 hours before they entered 13 Millers Court because they were waiting for "Police Dogs" to try and pick up the scent of the culprit, just doesn't hold water for me.
                                The 2 hours was needed to make sure everyone had their story straight and make sue that no one could be implicated in the murder by sweeping the murder scene of any incriminating evidence.
                                Kelly's death stinks of a cover up; the contrasting and contradictory reports used simply to confuse the case.

McCarthy wasn't the ripper, as not even a charitable rogue like him would have been that stupid. But the ripper was likely to have been a regular client of MJK. Everyone involved must have panicked when she was found as they were likely to have known who it was.

The biggest mistake the ripper made wasn't killing his previous victims; it wasn't even killing MJK, it was killing her inside Millers Court.

Millers Court as a location holds the key to the entire case.

It takes the ripper from being a crazed lunatic to being a calculated sadistic psychopath with a fetish unlike no other.

McCarthy likely knew she was dead before he sent Bowyer round to 'collect rent'

The ripper may have been a policeman; hence why the myth of the ripper was allowed to grow.

The Met Police still hold records relating to the case, which still haven't seen the light of day.

It makes you wonder why.

TRD

"Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Working...
                                X