Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post

Really? Says who?
    The “Duke of Cambridge” Philanthropic Society for instance.

This is from the ELO 30 January, 1886.

Attached Files

Comment

Life Governorships of a Hospital and a Dispensary in recognition of his charitable work.

Not bad for a ‘slum landlord’.

Comment

Oh wait a minute! I just had a thought. Abberline was there in Dorset Street on the day of the Kelly murder conducting an inventory of her room and sifting through the fireplace ashes. And Jack McCarthy would have been right there too, so he would have known who Abberline was.

Ok, you're right. Now I see where you're coming from.
        Yes, ignore the evidence and apply sarcasm as a last resort.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
          Life Governorships of a Hospital and a Dispensary in recognition of his charitable work.

Not bad for a ‘slum landlord’.
          Not to mention his stirling work keeping penniless women from sleeping on the streets during the Autumn of Terror.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

Not to mention his stirling work keeping penniless women from sleeping on the streets during the Autumn of Terror.
            Such as...?

Comment

What evidence?

Comment

What evidence?
                Of course, I forgot, you believe the esquires McCarthy, Crossingham, Cooney and Muddle were members of the legal profession.

Comment

Such as...?
                  Such as...not kicking them out of their room when they fall six weeks behind on the rent?

Comment

Such as...not kicking them out of their room when they fall six weeks behind on the rent?
                    Ah, woman rather than women. Or were there others?

Comment

And let’s not forget that Sgt Thick - Johnny Upright - gave McCarthy et al glowing character references when they committed the crime of the century - arranging an arguably illegal boxing match.

And why did he do that? Possibly because some of the group had a short while previously rescued him from a group of thugs who attacked him when he tried to rescue their pal in a lodging house.

Having the lodging house keepers on your side would have been an invaluable resource to anyone trying to police Spitalfields. Except Abberline, of course, he was an Esq and wouldn’t have stooped so low as to hob-nob with the likes of Jack McCarthy.

Comment

Did I say anything about Crossingham, Cooney or Muddle?

Comment

Did I say anything about Crossingham, Cooney or Muddle?
                          You ridiculed the idea that McCarthy might be an ‘esq’. He appears to have been a more prominent, more successful and more charitably-minded individual than the others.

Comment

Ah, woman rather than women. Or were there others?
                            Only one that we know of.
                            Mind you, I don't think Mrs Cox had a brass farthing to her name the night Mary Jane died, yet she was still there six weeks later, so you never know!

​​​​

Comment

Only one that we know of.
                              Mind you, I don't think Mrs Cox had a brass farthing to her name the night Mary Jane died, yet she was still there six weeks later, so you never know!

​​​​
                              i agree with this and thanks for posting. i love seeing the bits of humanity in this tragedy. mary letting friends stay at her place, mccarthy letting them slide on the rent, the concern the unfortunates had for each other, edowes mimicking a fire siren when she was drunk (lol!), etc.. it was a tough place in tough times. poignant.
                              "Is all that we see or seem
                              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

The “Duke of Cambridge” Philanthropic Society for instance.

This is from the ELO 30 January, 1886.
                                The Victoria Park Hospital was also known as the London Chest Hospital and stood empty until 1881 when it opened with 164 beds.
                                25% of the East End were carrying TB.

McCarthy was also an important contributor to the London Hospital.

Guess who was a physician at both!

Who would be interested in removing Chapman's head!
                                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Working...
                                X