• Hi Simon,

An error?
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Good morning Sholmes,

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Obviously the memorandum was confidential but he must surely have known that it’s contents would have become known?
      No, quite soon Macnaghten realized his memo was going nowhere.

He penned the memorandum in reply to the (unnamed) Cutbush story in the Sun newspaper. The Sun articles, appearing in serial form all week were pushed aside and forever buried by a huge news story which occurred on Tuesday. One of those anti-establishment types nullifed his own self by immolation when his bomb killed him and him alone on the grounds of the Royal Observatory Park, Greenwich. It was a massive international headline grabber.

Roy
      Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
        Good morning Sholmes,

No, quite soon Macnaghten realized his memo was going nowhere.

He penned the memorandum in reply to the (unnamed) Cutbush story in the Sun newspaper. The Sun articles, appearing in serial form all week were pushed aside and forever buried by a huge news story which occurred on Tuesday. One of those anti-establishment types nullifed his own self by immolation when his bomb killed him and him alone on the grounds of the Royal Observatory Park, Greenwich. It was a massive international headline grabber.

Roy
        Thanks for that Roy.

I just read up on the story of Martial Bourdin which I do have some vague memory of. The Druitt story did emerge though. And of course Mac couldn’t have known that the Greenwich bombing was going to occur. So my question is still, why did he name the well-to-do Druitt when I’m sure that he could have found another Ostrog-type or Kosminski-type from somewhere as a ‘better than Cutbush’ suspect.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Until any new evidence comes up that rules Druitt out (like Ostrog) he must remain a viable suspect. Hes named by a senior police officer, he was in the area at the time, his suicide coincides with end of the C5 series, he fits some of the witness descriptions, could have had some medical knowledge and there was apparently a rumor from the family they thought he was the ripper. Hes not in my top tier of suspects, mainly because the timings are too tight with his cricket/train schedule and the evidence (rumor) is pretty flimsy. Nonetheless a suspect he is.
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            there was apparently a rumor from the family they thought he was the ripper
            Personally, I think that's the only reason that he was known to Macnaghten. Perhaps, as something of a black sheep, his family speculatively tarred him with the Ripper's brush and word leaked out. I shouldn't be surprised if Macnaghten's "private information" came to him over brandy and cigars at a dinner party or a gentleman's club.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Personally, I think that's the only reason that he was known to Macnaghten. Perhaps, as something of a black sheep, his family speculatively tarred him with the Ripper's brush and word leaked out. I shouldn't be surprised if Macnaghten's "private information" came to him over brandy and cigars at a dinner party or a gentleman's club.
              absolutely.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

The difficulty that I have with this Gareth is the Victorian’s almost pathological horror of scandal. Is it likely that such a well-to-do family would be so careless as to speak about mere speculations and risk it getting out? This society even saw any form of mental illness as a source for shame.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

The difficulty that I have with this Gareth is the Victorian’s almost pathological horror of scandal. Is it likely that such a well-to-do family would be so careless as to speak about mere speculations and risk it getting out? This society even saw any form of mental illness as a source for shame.
                  true. but I could see someone from his extended family or even a friend of the family blabbing about them thinking he was the ripper. The way McNaughten phrases it, it dosnt sound like he heard it directly from the family. as evidence its really weak, but of course many rumors and gossip turn out to be true.

what are your thoughts on who and how this "information" was given to McNaughten?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

The difficulty that I have with this Gareth is the Victorian’s almost pathological horror of scandal.
                    Somewhat paradoxically, they had an equally pathological appetite for scandal, too.
                    Is it likely that such a well-to-do family would be so careless as to speak about mere speculations and risk it getting out?
                    Brandy is a great loosener of tongues, and there are few things that a loose tongue likes more than a guilty secret or some tasty gossip.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• One problem I have is with the suicide note that Druitt left behind. It hardly sounds like the last words of a killer who could no longer live with what he'd done.

Not "I've done some terrible, terrible things" or the like, but "​​​​I felt I was going to be like mother".

Was his mother a serial killer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                        One problem I have is with the suicide note that Druitt left behind. It hardly sounds like the last words of a killer who could no longer live with what he'd done.

Not "I've done some terrible, terrible things" or the like, but "​​​​I felt I was going to be like mother".

Was his mother a serial killer?

Yes, good point.

c.d.

Comment

• That is a good point Joshua.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Somewhat paradoxically, they had an equally pathological appetite for scandal, too.

They preferred the scandal to involve someone else’s family though.

Brandy is a great loosener of tongues, and there are few things that a loose tongue likes more than a guilty secret or some tasty gossip.

True
                            I still have to ask why Macnaghten mentioned Druitt at all? Why not just go with Kosminski or Ostrog? It just seems a strange choice to me.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I still have to ask why Macnaghten mentioned Druitt at all? Why not just go with Kosminski or Ostrog? It just seems a strange choice to me.
                              Not if your more familiar with the source of the druitt accusation.

herlock what are your thoughts on how and by whom mcnaughten heard his “information” from?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                                One problem I have is with the suicide note that Druitt left behind. It hardly sounds like the last words of a killer who could no longer live with what he'd done.

Not "I've done some terrible, terrible things" or the like, but "​​​​I felt I was going to be like mother"
                                Which suggests to me that Macnaghten wasn't overly familiar with the details of the Druitt case, and was acting on hearsay. The autobiographical errors (age, profession) he made in respect of Druitt point in the same direction.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X