The Strange Death Of Montague John Druitt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    I’ve just had a quick look at John Douglas’ profile of Jack The Ripper (I certainly want to stress that I’m no expert on the subject btw) so….

Age 28-36 - Druitt 31

Didn’t look out of the ordinary and the clothes that he wore wouldn’t have been his every day clothes - There’s no reason why Druitt couldn’t have ‘dressed down’ to fit in with others in the area.

Comes from a family with a domineering mother and a weak\passive or absent father - Certainly doesn’t sound like the Druitt family.

In his early years he’d have set fires, tortured animals etc - We have no way of knowing if Druitt did any of these but there’s certainly nothing on record. In fairness though a Victorian family would hardly have left a record of such behaviour had it occurred.

As he got older he would have expected to have found evidence of cruelty in the suspects writing or drawing - No evidence of this with Druitt but again the family would hardly have made this public. Speculation alert….maybe such things were discovered at the school which led to his sacking?

For employment he’d have sought positions where he could work alone, butcher, mortician’s assistant etc - The problem is that these types of job wouldn’t have been available to someone of Druitt’s class without being disowned by his family.

Some physical abnormality or speech defect - Doesn’t apply to Druitt as far as we know.

Wouldn’t have been married - Druitt wasn’t married of course.

Not adept at meeting people socially - Doesn’t sound like Druitt.

May have had an STD - Not as far as we know with Druitt but we can’t eliminate it for certain.

Perceived as shy or a loner - Doesn’t sound like Druitt but people who are, by nature, extremely shy can have normal lives where there shyness isn’t immediately obvious to all.

Lives or works in the Whitechapel area - Druitt wasn’t far away but we can’t say that he lived and worked in Whitechapel (although he ‘might’ have done charitable work there.)

……

Again I’m not claiming any expertise on this subject at all but I can’t help pointing out that these are by no means set-in-stone.

Im not aware of any physical abnormality or speech defect in Ted Bundy for example and it certainly couldn’t be said that Bundy wasn’t adept at meeting people socially. Was Bundy a loner? Did Bundy have an STD?

The killer wouldn’t have been married but Ridgway was married 3 times, Dennis Rader was married. Peter Sutcliffe was married.

Another issue with applying a profile to Druitt is that as well as any definite ‘no’s’ there are also unknowns. For example, how do we know that Druitt didn’t have some problem or deformity with his penis? (as has been suggested for Sickert) How can we know that he wasn’t abused by someone as a child? How can we know that he didn’t set fires or torture small animals?

Im not dismissing or rubbishing profiling. I’m just saying that there are issues when applying it here.

I think a reasonable question is whether Druitt could have be such a higher achiever if he was carrying all that baggage that we don't know about?

Do we know how tall Druitt was - worth noting the profile includes above/below ave height in the physical description. Profile says any physical issue could be small in reality but mentally crushing for him. I also wonder about the farmer attack - man had an abscess/scar on his neck.

Also for marriage, it says would not expect to be married but if so would be to someone older, would be short and violent (ridgway married 3 times could fit that)

Also the paranoia - carrying a knife at all times, just in case

Agree, not the total answer but I definitely think it is useful (obviously i would because of the degree to which it summarizes bury)

Comment

• Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post

I think a reasonable question is whether Druitt could have be such a higher achiever if he was carrying all that baggage that we don't know about?

Do we know how tall Druitt was - worth noting the profile includes above/below ave height in the physical description. Profile says any physical issue could be small in reality but mentally crushing for him. I also wonder about the farmer attack - man had an abscess/scar on his neck.

Also for marriage, it says would not expect to be married but if so would be to someone older, would be short and violent (ridgway married 3 times could fit that)

Also the paranoia - carrying a knife at all times, just in case

Agree, not the total answer but I definitely think it is useful (obviously i would because of the degree to which it summarizes bury)
      I'm working from memory here and don't have my books to hand (so apologies if I'm misfiring), but didn't Druitt excel at school, winning a place at Oxford but then wind up with a mere Third Class Honours Degree?

A Third (albeit from Oxbridge) isn't really setting the academic world ablaze, and COULD be indicitive of some kind of "baggage" / mental deterioration / personal issues.

Personally I don't place much store in profiling.

It's great for dramatic storylines and was hugely popular a couple of decades ago, but has largely been discredited.

It's marginally better (because it's based on logical deductions), but it's kind of similar to the phrenology of our times in my book.

Comment

Working...
      X