The Pubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erobitha View Post

Any truth in the rumour TV chef Jamie Oliver’s great-great grandfather was landlord at the time? Was it pukka back then?
    I don’t know. He claimed that in one of his TV shows, I think. My grandad was christened at Christchurch in 1882, perhaps my gg drank there.

I haven’t been to Spitalfields for at least 18 months. I must pay it a visit soon. I was in a taxi going along the Highway a few months back and I asked the driver to take a detour down Chigwell Hill, along Pennington Street and back up Breezer’s Hill. Unfortunately there was an obstruction in Pennington Street, so he had to use Artichoke Hill to get back to the Highway. There’s a huge amount of construction going on in the old London Dock site. It will have a completely different feel when it’s all complete.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

I don’t know. He claimed that in one of his TV shows, I think. My grandad was christened at Christchurch in 1882, perhaps my gg drank there.

I haven’t been to Spitalfields for at least 18 months. I must pay it a visit soon. I was in a taxi going along the Highway a few months back and I asked the driver to take a detour down Chigwell Hill, along Pennington Street and back up Breezer’s Hill. Unfortunately there was an obstruction in Pennington Street, so he had to use Artichoke Hill to get back to the Highway. There’s a huge amount of construction going on in the old London Dock site. It will have a completely different feel when it’s all complete.

I grew up in South London, and often would head the East End for a bit of adventure. It started changing rapidly in the late 80s and has done ever since.
      Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
      JayHartley.com

Comment

I recommend spending time walking up and down Brick Lane. Many of the buildings remain and the hustle and bustle will give you that sense of what it would have been like back then too. Also, there are some great multi-cultural food options on the road to savour as well.
        Sounds great, Ero!

I'm always up for a bit of falafal!!

Thanks for the tip.

We will factor that in too!

Comment

I recommend spending time walking up and down Brick Lane. Many of the buildings remain and the hustle and bustle will give you that sense of what it would have been like back then too. Also, there are some great multi-cultural food options on the road to savour as well.
          Also check out Fournier street, the road between the ten bells pub and Christ church. About authentic as you will get in terms of housing. Some incredible examples of old silk weavers houses, of which some were not doubt turned into doss houses back in Victorian times. Its a beautiful street.
          Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

Also check out Fournier street, the road between the ten bells pub and Christ church. About authentic as you will get in terms of housing. Some incredible examples of old silk weavers houses, of which some were not doubt turned into doss houses back in Victorian times. Its a beautiful street.
            Thanks Los!

My east end itinerary is starting to take shape......

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

Appreciated!

Comment

I believe the facade has gone through change since then, but the interior spaces have remained as they were since that time. I believe only the ground floor was used as the pub at that time and the other floors were living quarters.
              so going to the ten bells today is almost the same as going to the ten bells back then?

Comment

Originally posted by clark2710 View Post

so going to the ten bells today is almost the same as going to the ten bells back then?
                I believe it would not be that far off.
                Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                JayHartley.com

Comment

If you are feeling rich you could stay here:

Princelet Street is one street north of Fournier Street and also contains interesting 18th century houses. They’re worth millions today, but back in the day the poorest of the poor were packed into them. Pearly Poll’s husband, the ‘Vicious Blind Beggar’ Thomas Fogarty, lived at no. 12 at one time.

I stayed in the Landmark Trust house a few years back. The layout of the ground floor is very similar to that of 29, Hanbury Street - it’s yard actually backs on to Hanbury Street. When we were there a young woman wrapped in a filthy duvet approached us to beg a few coppers. She was clearly either drunk or high. During the night we heard a woman screaming and the smashing of glass. The area still has a bit of an edge.

Comment

Princelet Street is one street north of Fournier Street and also contains interesting 18th century houses. They’re worth millions today, but back in the day the poorest of the poor were packed into them. Pearly Poll’s husband, the ‘Vicious Blind Beggar’ Thomas Fogarty, lived at no. 12 at one time.

I stayed in the Landmark Trust house a few years back. The layout of the ground floor is very similar to that of 29, Hanbury Street - it’s yard actually backs on to Hanbury Street. When we were there a young woman wrapped in a filthy duvet approached us to beg a few coppers. She was clearly either drunk or high. During the night we heard a woman screaming and the smashing of glass. The area still has a bit of an edge.

Wow they look very nice. Do you know when they were renovated? How old are the buildings themselves; you said 18th century right?

Comment

Thanks for that Mr B!

It looks amazing!

It's nice that there are still some places where a bit of the old atmosphere is retained.

This trip to London will just be myself and one friend, so I would likely save that for a visit when there was a few more of us to split the cost.

The last time I visited London with this same friend, we stayed in some dump where our twin room was so tiny and hot that I slept with one leg dangling out the window!

In light of that, we've decided to treat ourselves this time and go a bit upmarket!

Comment

Wow they look very nice. Do you know when they were renovated? How old are the buildings themselves; you said 18th century right?
                        Here’s some info about 13, Princelet Street:

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Thanks for that Mr B!

It looks amazing!

It's nice that there are still some places where a bit of the old atmosphere is retained.

This trip to London will just be myself and one friend, so I would likely save that for a visit when there was a few more of us to split the cost.

The last time I visited London with this same friend, we stayed in some dump where our twin room was so tiny and hot that I slept with one leg dangling out the window!

In light of that, we've decided to treat ourselves this time and go a bit upmarket!
                          We shared the cost with cousins from Norfolk. I think they were a little surprised by how edgy the area was.

As a boy (1888-1891) our grandad had lived in George Yard and Angel Alley. When I took them into AA, we saw a rat the size of a baby elephant. My cousin’s wife was not impressed.

Comment

We shared the cost with cousins from Norfolk. I think they were a little surprised by how edgy the area was.

As a boy (1888-1891) our grandad had lived in George Yard and Angel Alley. When I took them into AA, we saw a rat the size of a baby elephant. My cousin’s wife was not impressed.
                            Always nice to see a bit of the local flora and fauna!

Comment

Here’s some info about 13, Princelet Street:

https://lookup.london/inside-13-princelet-street/
                              oh wow so these building were actually there during the time. Wow if the walls could talk huh?

Comment

There's quite a bit about the history of The Ten Bells here:

It's okay if you are not into the paranormal stuff, because Lindsay talks about the history of the pub first.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                                X