No announcement yet.

The Pubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of Frank Crumit's sublime ditty, The Pig Got Up And Slowly Walked Away:

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by clark2710 View Post

I'm not from the country or area but the website for the Ten Bells, I only skimmed through it so I may have missed it, but so far as I can see there's no mention of the Ripper at all. The site just says it's "steeped in history"
      From memory there is nothing overt in the pub to suggest its Ripper connections. The "facilities" are downstairs and the old stone steps and whitewashed walls are quite evocative of days long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ohrocky View Post

From memory there is nothing overt in the pub to suggest its Ripper connections. The "facilities" are downstairs and the old stone steps and whitewashed walls are quite evocative of days long gone.
        Mixed thoughts on this really the Ten Bells was pivotal in many ways during 1888 and to dismiss that history is a shame but maybe a modern trend to whitewash history good and bad!!???

Comment

Originally posted by ohrocky View Post

I looked up the Ten Bells on google earth and there's a street view picture of the front of the building. It's something like 3 stories high. Is the whole of the building the club or just the lower part? Was the building that's there now the same exact building that was there before or did they simply build the bigger building around and from the smaller one?

Comment

Originally posted by Christian View Post

Mixed thoughts on this really the Ten Bells was pivotal in many ways during 1888 and to dismiss that history is a shame but maybe a modern trend to whitewash history good and bad!!???
            The Ten Bells used to embrace its heritage. There is an essay in the back of the graphic novel "From Hell" that describes a gathering of Ripperologists meeting there in 1988.
            But. . Times change.
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Covid permitting, I'm planning an East End pub crawl later this year / early next year so I'll be keeping an eye out for your list when it appears too, Christian!
              I am very envious of the sound of that! Some amazing places to check out in that neck of the woods. Do miss not living there anymore!
              Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

That's brilliant!

Many thanks for that, Christian!

Am I correct in thinking that the White Hart on Whitechapel Rd is the one which George Chapman managed?

I'm thinking a couple of drinks in the Ten Bells, onto the White Hart then follow up with a curry in the old Frying Pan......!!!

Have you ever eaten in there?

If so, is it any good?
                If you want to authentic 'East End boozer' with a great atmosphere, head over to the Pride of Spitalfields just off brick lane and two minutes walk to the curry house that used to be the frying pan pub.
                Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

You can't really blame people back then for spending so much time in the pub as their living conditions were so awful. It's also no wonder that they drank so much. They would have been full of all sorts of people, though I would imagine any 'toffs' slumming it would have to appropriately attired, otherwise they would stand out like a sore thumb and would be asking to get turned over.
                  Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by Losmandris View Post
                    You can't really blame people back then for spending so much time in the pub as their living conditions were so awful. It's also no wonder that they drank so much. They would have been full of all sorts of people, though I would imagine any 'toffs' slumming it would have to appropriately attired, otherwise they would stand out like a sore thumb and would be asking to get turned over.
                    Yes agree 100% about toffs slumming it !! Never agreed with that notion!!

Comment

If you want to authentic 'East End boozer' with a great atmosphere, head over to the Pride of Spitalfields just off brick lane and two minutes walk to the curry house that used to be the frying pan pub.
                      Thanks for the tip, Los!

That sounds great.

I will definitely check it out when I finally make it down to London.

Comment

I am very envious of the sound of that! Some amazing places to check out in that neck of the woods. Do miss not living there anymore!
                        Yeah, I am extremely excited about it.

I haven't been to London in years, and I've never really explored the East End before.

I'm aware that it will be very different to the Whitechapel I've been reading about for all these years, but hopefully I'll be able to find some little pockets which evoke the original vibe of the place.

Comment

Yeah, I am extremely excited about it.

I haven't been to London in years, and I've never really explored the East End before.

I'm aware that it will be very different to the Whitechapel I've been reading about for all these years, but hopefully I'll be able to find some little pockets which evoke the original vibe of the place.
                          I recommend spending time walking up and down Brick Lane. Many of the buildings remain and the hustle and bustle will give you that sense of what it would have been like back then too. Also, there are some great multi-cultural food options on the road to savour as well.
                          Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                          JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by clark2710 View Post

I looked up the Ten Bells on google earth and there's a street view picture of the front of the building. It's something like 3 stories high. Is the whole of the building the club or just the lower part? Was the building that's there now the same exact building that was there before or did they simply build the bigger building around and from the smaller one?
                            I believe the facade has gone through change since then, but the interior spaces have remained as they were since that time. I believe only the ground floor was used as the pub at that time and the other floors were living quarters.
                            JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post

I believe the facade has gone through change since then, but the interior spaces have remained as they were since that time. I believe only the ground floor was used as the pub at that time and the other floors were living quarters.

The facade we see today is the one that was there in 1888. The pub originally stood on the corner of Red Lion Street and Church (now Fournier) Street, but it was demolished in the 1850s when Red Lion Street was widened to create Commercial Street. The brewery took over the building that was then on the corner of Commercial Street and Church Street (previously 33, Church Street) and built the wraparound Victorian facade that still exists. The pub was originally called the Eight Bells but became the Ten Bells in 1788 when a set of ten bells were installed in Christchurch.

I would imagine there have been more changes to the interior since 1888 than to the exterior.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

The facade we see today is the one that was there in 1888. The pub originally stood on the corner of Red Lion Street and Church (now Fournier) Street, but it was demolished in the 1850s when Red Lion Street was widened to create Commercial Street. The brewery took over the building that was then on the corner of Commercial Street and Church Street (previously 33, Church Street) and built the wraparound Victorian facade that still exists. The pub was originally called the Eight Bells but became the Ten Bells in 1788 when a set of ten bells were installed in Christchurch.

I would imagine there have been more changes to the interior since 1888 than to the exterior.

Any truth in the rumour TV chef Jamie Oliver’s great-great grandfather was landlord at the time? Was it pukka back then?
                                JayHartley.com

Comment

Working...
                                X